• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1864 Indian Cent

6 posts in this topic

I got this cent from a local antique store a few years ago. It was in a 2x2 labeled an 1864 "L". The problem is that the coin is so worn down how did they know it's an "L". Is there some characteristic of that particular variety that tells you it is an "L" even though you can't see it?

1864obv085.jpg

1864rev086.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality. I think I had a bit to much light. I can retake the shot if any one thinks it would help, but these were all ready and were handy.

The with L variety has a Pointed Bust. The without L variety has a Rounded Bust.

With the exception of the chin, I can't tell the difference. Can you tell by my *spoony* picture if it is pointed of rounded? Sorry for my ignorance. Apparently I've been collecting more than I've been learning. I think I've learned more from these boards in the last 3 months than I did in the previous 45 years on my own.

By the way, the "round" vs. "pointed" part is the very tip of the bust, just above the "1" in the date.

Got it. Thanks very much for all the input. Add that to another thing learned. 893applaud-thumb.gif