• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade and tell me your honest opinion of this dollar.

33 posts in this topic

After watching this coin for many years it had to come out of this holder. It was a PVC problem waiting to happen. Please pick it apart. Guess what it graded.

Image_0116-800X.jpg

Image_0023-800X.jpg

Image_0028-800X.jpg

The way you posted the question you seem to begging the answer of MS65, so that is my guess. My honest opinion is that I would not buy this dollar due to the bag mark on the check, I find it very distracting.

I really don't think PCGS would give that a 64 - I would not with chatter on the obverse and reverse yet it is visually pleasing ...

I think 63.999 smile.gif

Ouch - I still think its a nice 63 coin no matter what PCGS says .. If its below that crack it out and send to NGC smile.gif - No I am not in there sales department but sometimes I feel like I pay for that department smile.gif

If the hit wasn't there it is a shoe in for 64 because of its LOOK

Hint. PCGS didn't like the coin. frown.gif

One more reason not to use PCGS 27_laughing.gif!

But seriously, unless there are hairlines, or some other problem not revealed in the images, I see no reason for this coin to be undergraded. Send it to NGC and get an fair and proper grade!

I'd guess MS-64. It's an MS-65 minus "the mark on the cheek", which is fully in keeping with a MS-64 grade.
I agree with that assessment.

I saw the grade first, but this was my independent thought as well.

Things that pop out to me when looking at the picture:

1) Lots of scattered marks in the field - especially in front of the face.

2) Lots of marks on the face and nose.

3) An area on the face that looks a little dark (thumbed?).

4) Flatness on the bottom hair curl and the eagles feathers.

I can see this graded AU58-MS63.

Personal opinion, providing the coin looks like the picture, if that coin were offered to me in anything higher than an MS63 slab, I'd decline without hesitation.

First off, thanks for all the input.It came back MS60.

Not what I expected, for sure. It does have marks in the fields about what one would see on an MS63, but the luster is all there. Greg's post got me looking a bit harder.I may have spent too much time looking at the coin and not enough looking at the image.It does have a small area on the face that is a little darker than the rest of the coin. In hand with a glass, at just the right angle, I can see it. I'm not sure I could spot a thumbed coin so that's possible.

It may also be a bit of rub from the old holder. One other thought is PVC that didn't have time to really go to work on the surface. Didn't loose anything on the coin except some confidence in my grading, but I did learn a great lesson. smile.gif

Thanks again.