• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin grader for a day?

9 posts in this topic

I suggest that the next winner of the numisma-quest be offered an exciting prize as 'coin grader for a day', whereby, NGC will fly out the winner to NGC headquarters and let the winner 'grade for the day'. A once in a lifetime experience. Whattaya say?????????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

PS- Gmarguli excluded since he wins too often. 893whatthe.gif

I suggest that the next winner of the numisma-quest be offered an exciting prize as 'coin grader for a day', whereby, NGC will fly out the winner to NGC headquarters and let the winner 'grade for the day'. A once in a lifetime experience. Whattaya say?????????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A great idea, but the liability to NGC would be massive. Besides, do you want a lot of the forum members grading your coins?

I think it would be a lot of fun to be a grader for a day. Doing it as a living would probably be maddening.

PS- Gmarguli excluded since he wins too often. 893whatthe.gif

Anyone who wants to know Truth's REAL NAME PM me and I'll let you know! 893whatthe.gif

Great fantasy truth. I think that Greg, if he were to win, should be placed in the coin cleaning and retoning room for a day. grin.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

NGC will fly out the winner to NGC headquarters and let the winner 'grade for the day'.

As long as they place these coins in ACG slabs, there won't be any noticeable disruption to the marketplace.

NGC will fly out the winner to NGC headquarters and let the winner 'grade for the day'.

As long as they place these coins in ACG slabs, there won't be any noticeable disruption to the marketplace.

27_laughing.gif893Funny-thumb.gif

I think this is a great idea, actually. Think about how much a person could learn in just one day. I am thinking not of having the person actually give grades to coins that would then be the assigned grade, but rather of having a collector work with a grader for a day. People who are not expert graders would learn a lot by watching, grading the coins, and seeing what the expert says about them. People who are already expert graders would learn about the ways the company comes up with the numbers, and may learn about series he or she is not such an expert in. I would do it in a second! I am definitely in the first category--not expert grader, and would welcome the learning experience.

They could offer some sort of promotion to submitters. Kind of like a raffle. One "ticket", for every 20 submissions. A drawing at the end of the year for a 3 day stay down in sunny FLA. with a guided tour etc. etc. etc.

Who the heck runs the promotional dept. down there???? Get cracking on this one!

They could coincide the whole affair with the FUN show......maybe they should hire me to run this promo. laugh.gif

In addition to a guided tour with, say a few hours watching and talking to a grader, perhaps the winner could also be allowed to submit five or so coins. Then the winner could watch his or her coins being graded and also discuss with the grader why the grade was assigned as it was.

Being able to watch a top notch grader in action and ask questions would be invaluable. Indeed, if NGC (or its competitors) wanted to sell this sort of service, I think they could get several hundred dollars from people willing to pay. Perhaps I'll ask HRH about this on the other forum. On this forum, I think one of you clever people who came up with the raffle idea should post this on the "Ask NGC" board here.

Mark