• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looney Night at the Site

52 posts in this topic

Is it "Full Moon" night on the other board?

Firstly, some clown wants to buy (One!!!) Quarter Eagle and wants a list of all "The Big Players" in gold coins. Then the same person posts image a fake (bubbled casting) 1864 cent and makes a big deal about it's "Rotated Reverse".

Second person wants to make a big deal about 170 degree rotated reverse Morgan $, also a fake. Half the people polled vote that this Morgan is Genuine.

Third person wants to buy a 1932 Washington Quarter to use as a Golf Green Ball Marker (honest to God!) and wants to know which one of 5 choices to buy.

you summed up what goes on most all of the time on the pcgs boards narishkite bullsh1t

i cant add anything else to what oldtrader has said

sincerely michael

After lurking around here for quite some time, it is now time for me to de-lurk to ask a question. This question is not intended to anger anyone, but of course it probably will. Basically, I am curious to know why you people feel that it is necessary to constantly bash the PCGS board and those who post on it.

It seems like we can't go more than a week without somebody over here starting a thread about how stupid PCGS board members are. People will post here about how posts on the other board are not worth reading. Then they will post the same thing when the next bashing thread is created, thereby making it clear that they still frequent the other board. If the posts over there are so bad, then why does everyone keep reading them? Do people keep reading them so that they can pick out selected threads for ridicule over here?

My guess is that these threads are created for the sole purpose of saying "look how stupid PCGS posters are. The posts over here are much more intelligent. Since I post over here, I must be intelligent too." This thread is a perfect example. If the example posts cited are true, then why discuss them over here? Why not start a thread on the PCGS board to discuss their merit? Instead of discussing them over at PCGS, a thread is created here so that everyone can participate in yet another round of "We're better than PCGS posters because we don't have stupid threads."

My personal policy is to not worry about which message board is better (or which slabbing company is better, or which coin series is better, etc). I don't have to bash other collectors or message boards in order to make myself feel better. If I see posts here or elsewhere that are not very good, I skip over them. I don't feel a need to hold them up for ridicule. It would be nice if others felt the same way.

Now if everyone doesn't mind, I'm going to climb out of the muck and continue reading coin-related threads.

I use both sites and both have good and bad.

However, I ....WAS....drawn to that guy's thread as he asked "Who are the key players in gold?"

W h i c h.......got me to look. Only to find out that the guy thinks it takes a "key player" to provide a $2.50 gold piece.

Laugh and click out.

The nuts are in all the trees.

Don't be so hard on the guy, since he asked for "key players" it's obvious he was wanting to buy a Proof-65 gem- although he inadventently forgot to mention it in his post. But don't worry. I directed him to the best place on the Web to buy really rare coins- The Coin Vault.

After lurking around here for quite some time, it is now time for me to de-lurk to ask a question. This question is not intended to anger anyone, but of course it probably will. Basically, I am curious to know why you people feel that it is necessary to constantly bash the PCGS board and those who post on it.

It seems like we can't go more than a week without somebody over here starting a thread about how stupid PCGS board members are. People will post here about how posts on the other board are not worth reading. Then they will post the same thing when the next bashing thread is created, thereby making it clear that they still frequent the other board. If the posts over there are so bad, then why does everyone keep reading them? Do people keep reading them so that they can pick out selected threads for ridicule over here?

My guess is that these threads are created for the sole purpose of saying "look how stupid PCGS posters are. The posts over here are much more intelligent. Since I post over here, I must be intelligent too." This thread is a perfect example. If the example posts cited are true, then why discuss them over here? Why not start a thread on the PCGS board to discuss their merit? Instead of discussing them over at PCGS, a thread is created here so that everyone can participate in yet another round of "We're better than PCGS posters because we don't have stupid threads."

My personal policy is to not worry about which message board is better (or which slabbing company is better, or which coin series is better, etc). I don't have to bash other collectors or message boards in order to make myself feel better. If I see posts here or elsewhere that are not very good, I skip over them. I don't feel a need to hold them up for ridicule. It would be nice if others felt the same way.

Now if everyone doesn't mind, I'm going to climb out of the muck and continue reading coin-related threads.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mr Hall:

You clearly have NOT lurked here for "quite some time". The idea that this site is full of PCGS-forum bashing threads is false. We have this discussion every few weeks. A "new" poster comes here and asks why we bash so much. Then the "other half of the poster" posts across the street that there are nothing but PCGS-forum bashing threads here and point to their own false thread here.

The last time I counted the threads that were about PCGS and the number was very small. I'm sure with a little searching you can find my post on it, but you may not want to since it is filled with facts. It seems to make the PCGS posters feel good to believe that this site is full of bashers while their little slice of heaven is perfect. Many seem to like that forum. That's fine. Many others don't and that's why you see more and more of them over here and not over there. Why?

Whether some people want to admit it or not, the site across the street is FILLED with junk. Posts that have nothing to do with coins, AH Kennedys, Frankies, modern clad, eBay auctions, ACG, etc. You could remove 80% of the posts over there without hurting the quality.

Over here there are very few posts that aren't coin related. Many of those are started by "long time lurkers" that just registered today and have made a grand total of 1 post and they want to stir up trouble by asking why we bash and then go across the street and smile while watching us defend ourselves all the while they point to that anti-PCGS thread across the street that stays at the top.

If we bash so much, please LINK 10 threads that are anti-PCGS forums that were started BY LEGIT POSTERS in the last 3 months. That should be easy enough if you are correct.

Goblin:

I have thought about what you said and realize this. I believe that this is the first post I have ever started that bashed the other board. I have made a couple comments on a couple occasions (in the 18 months that the NGC site has been open) on other's posts about the PCGS Site.

When three of the first six comments, that one reads on that board, are about a better date Quarter that will be used as a golf green marker and two (not even close!) counterfeits and about what nice coins they are, it is hard to take any of it seriously. Particularly, when the two counterfeit posters, most likely, know that they are raving on about features on the surfaces of BOGUS COINS!

I have complained about the Open Forum on this site also, because it often contains trash, name calling, unnecessary crudeness etc. That does not make me smarter than anyone; just tired of the trash! I am disabled and use these forums and the coin hobby as a component of my social life. I come here to interact with and to learn from others by exchanging information, pictures etc.

Much of all Internet forum content (not just coin forums) is often like the CB Radio bandwaves, mostly junk. This hobby is based on life-long learning, reading, exchanging information and exposure to other's coins and experiences. I just wish that the site contents are at least legitimate and maybe, sometimes, worth reading.

Greg,

Knowing your reputation, I was expecting you to bash what I said. To be honest, you might want to occasionally back off from your hatred of everything PCGS and think about what others have written before jumping all over them. You have no idea who I am or what my views are, yet you immediately accused me of doing things that I have not done. First of all, I am not Mr. Hall. Despite your implications, I have been lurking here for quite some time. I did not post what I did so that I could use my "other half" to bash this board over on the PCGS board. I'm sure that you think that I'm a Kool-Aid drinker from across the street, but the fact is I have no particular love for PCGS nor do I have any hatred for PCGS. My feelings towards them is about a neutral as you can get. My post was solely intended to address an issue that appears occasionally on this message board.

At no point did I say or imply that this message board is full of PCGS bashing threads. I did say that it seems (with a slight emphasis on "seems") that we can't go more than a week without another bashing thread. Yes, this was an exaggeration but not a large one. In the past 2 months there have been 4 threads that have bashed posters on the PCGS boards. So instead of not being able to go more than a week without such a thread, we can't go more than 2 to 3 weeks. Sue me for exaggerating slightly.

In your zeal to attack me as a Kool-Aid drinking member of the David Hall fan club, you did not seem to notice the point of my post. The point was not the frequency of the PCGS message board bashing threads. It was that such threads exist at all. As I pointed out in my previous post, this thread is a perfect example. Some low quality threads were found on the PCGS board. Instead of addressing the quality (or lack thereof) of those threads on the other board where it might have done some good, this thread was started over here. What purpose is there to do that except to add yet more comments over here about the quality of posters over there?

You are correct that the good thread to junk thread ratio over here is very good. That is why I have frequented this board. You are also correct that the ratio on the other board is not very good. But is there really a need for the somewhat frequent (once every 2 to 3 weeks or so) threads over here that seem to do little but put down posters over there? The fact is, every thread over there could be junk and it would not have a direct impact on this board at all. So I asked my question to perhaps learn why some people over here (including "legit posters") seem to be so preoccupied with the other message board.

Knowing your reputation, I was expecting you to bash what I said. To be honest, you might want to occasionally back off from your hatred of everything PCGS and think about what others have written before jumping all over them.

I have no hatred for PCGS. I think some people expect me to be seething with rage at PCGS and looking for opportunities to bash them. 27_laughing.gif I disagree with a bunch of their policies and their actions and I have decided to vote with my wallet to express my displeasure at their lousy service. I've also been unhappy with NGC in the past. So much so that I went several YEARS without submitting to them because I wasn't happy with the way they treated people. Don't confuse opinionated and unafraid to express unhappiness with a service as hatred.

Despite your implications, I have been lurking here for quite some time.

If this is true then you should have realized that what you posted was not only untrue, but was going to generate heated rebuttal posts. You aren't the first to post things like this here. It is usually "new" posters or some Kool-Aid drinkers come over here, complain we are snobs, talk a little trash about us, and run off never to be seen again.

My post was solely intended to address an issue that appears occasionally on this message board.

At no point did I say or imply that this message board is full of PCGS bashing threads. I did say that it seems (with a slight emphasis on "seems") that we can't go more than a week without another bashing thread. Yes, this was an exaggeration but not a large one. In the past 2 months there have been 4 threads that have bashed posters on the PCGS boards. So instead of not being able to go more than a week without such a thread, we can't go more than 2 to 3 weeks. Sue me for exaggerating slightly.

Here is what you wrote: I am curious to know why you people feel that it is necessary to constantly bash the PCGS board and those who post on it.

You made it sound like it is happening non-stop (which is what the word 'constantly' means). This is untrue. You now say 4 threads in the past 2 months? I bet you are right. What does that mean, there have been 4 threads that bashed across the street and that would be out of 462 threads in the past 2 months. That's under 1% of all threads.

How many posts across the street bashed here (AKA The Sleepy Kingdom)? I would bet I could find more than 4 in the last week.

In your zeal to attack me as a Kool-Aid drinking member of the David Hall fan club, you did not seem to notice the point of my post. The point was not the frequency of the PCGS message board bashing threads. It was that such threads exist at all. As I pointed out in my previous post, this thread is a perfect example. Some low quality threads were found on the PCGS board. Instead of addressing the quality (or lack thereof) of those threads on the other board where it might have done some good, this thread was started over here. What purpose is there to do that except to add yet more comments over here about the quality of posters over there?

There will always be threads like this. I think it was very fine for OT3 to make this thread. He is pointing out something (coin related) that bothered him. The sad thing is that posts like what he was complaining about are more common over there than before. They are taking over that forum. Where are the GOOD posts about coins? They are gone from there and that is sad. There is nothing wrong with talking about what they talk about, but when 95% of the posts are about these few things then they need to go. If the forum were a real in-person meeting I'm sure someone would have snapped and started shooting at the AH Kennedy and Frankie people.

And if you don't want to be "attacked as a Kool-Aid drinking member of the David Hall fan club" then perhaps you shouldn't have made this type of introductory post. What kind of reception do you expect when your first post baselessly bashes us for bashing across the street?

Personally, I don't care much about the PCGS boards, I left them long ago, and haven't been back save a few threads linked over here that I thought might be interesting. I also rarely post on these sorts of threads simply because it really doesn't interest me, but I am making this exception to add an observation.

Goblin raises some interesting points, most of which I agree with, but I wonder, why do people who "lurk" and never post suddenly feel compelled to make their first post on a thread like this? If you are going to come out of the shadows, why not make your first post on one of the 100 or so other interesting threads here?

My gut feeling is that folks who choose rather off-topic (no offense OldTrader, you know I respect you) threads to make their first post probably have little if anything to contribute at all, otherwise they would have chosen a more substantive thread to make their debut.

Is this a PCGS bashing thread? Probably. Should we be ashamed for wasting time bashing them? Probably. Are there better things for us to use our time on? Certainly. Is this a pointless thread? I don't think so. Sure, it could have been more useful directly over on the PCGS forum, but in any case, it shows all of us once again that there is a lot of misinformation and just plain [!@#%^&^] about our hobby being posted as fact, and it should remind all of us that healthy debate is essential to preventing us from being blind lemmings when it comes to the hobby that we spend so much time and money on.

Sorry for the rant, but there's one more thing, to all you lurkers out there, please pick a better topic and try to make a more meaningful post when you finally choose to emerge! If you do, you'll have a lot better chance of earning the respect of the rest of us.

rantpost.gif

If you have lurked as long as you say, then you should have gained an education on the reasons for the bashings you make claim to. Don't be mislead that "buyer beware" discussions are bashings. And don't just lurk! Your input is welcomed. You never know, you just might have something meaningful to add to the discussions that might help others.

Leo 893blahblah.gif

Leo:

Well said. I personally like to read about collecting experiences of new collectors as well as regulars on this site. I have been collecting Uncirculated US Type and Gold since 1965 (before that actually, as a YN, I started out collecting AU/BU Jefferson Nickels). Everyday I learn something new or see a wonderful coin specimen that I never dreamed existed (thank you, Michael, and others). I read my library and reread it regularly to learn more and refresh my memory about my speciality areas in the hobby. I wish that I could afford and had space for a bigger library. This might make me more knowledgeable about series that I do not specialize in.

I have about a dozen (or more) Registry Sets on this Forum, many of whom are near the top of their catagory. Some of these sets are pipe-dreams (i.e. Saints) where I will never complete the set in high grade, but I surely have some nice Saints! Most are period sets (i.e. Type Sets), where I feel that I am pretty competitive. Some modern series sets (i.e Franklins) are just fun, without competitive aspirations. I try to build quality Sets, even with the modern sets. Particularly because I often use nice surface, semi-keys for individual Type Set coins, when I certainly do not have to for score purposes. Any same grade MS64/67 coin of that series will get the same score. I want individual coins that I am passionate about for these sets.

Many of the people on this sight are very passionate about the hobby, which may make them seem a little curt or short on patience sometimes. That is ok, because they are very knowledgeable and care deeply about their hobby. I read their responses very carefully, to concentrate on their intellectual point, not necessarily their manners (I have been known to be offensive myself). If they offend me, I tell them so in a non threatening manner. My feelings do not get hurt if something tells me the same thing.

I can not think of a single activity, outside of my former Professional Career (Manuf. Operations VP), with the challenges, study, knowledge and sharing of this hobby and it's members. Thank you all!

Goblin,

I see that you've already made some friends around here. You are very well spoken and its seems you're understand what this hobby is all about. It is just a shame that you've decided to "jump in" on a thread like this. What kind of coins are you into? What kind of threads do you enjoy?

I personally like both sides of the street, I PMed quite a few people over there and have made some nice friends. Sure there is alot of junk that I disagree with. But one of most important things that my mentor informed me of is that there are collectors of all kinds. I can't stand moderns...but if a guy wants to collect slabbed pocket change, so be it. Its kind of like your TV. 100 and some odd channels, some you watch, some you click right through.

BTW What's with your username?..its kind of freaky.

Seth

If the forum were a real in-person meeting I'm sure someone would have snapped and started shooting at the AH Kennedy and Frankie people.

Interesting that new poster Goblin would "randomly" chose to post immediately after little missy BooBopABubbleGum. This past lurker is probably one of the Kennedy or Franklin people from across the street. Probably been collecting for all of 16 months.

My gut feeling is that folks who choose rather off-topic (no offense OldTrader, you know I respect you) threads to make their first post probably have little if anything to contribute at all, otherwise they would have chosen a more substantive thread to make their debut.

Exactly! Here we have someone from across the street, probably responsible for some of their inane posts, coming over here in a coordinated manner with missy to try and inflame a few members of this board. The "Kennedy and Frankie crowd" are well known for creating multiple id's to use in efforts to inflame situations. Now, they bring similar tactics to our boards.

BushMan, in my opinion, you are being unfair to and making presumptions about Goblin and his/her motives, without having any actual facts.

I, like Goblin, previously posted to a thread on a similar topic over here, too, because I was bothered by the prevalence of C.U. bashing. Goblin and I weren't the ones who started the flaming - we merely responded to it.

I'm the "clown" that is looking to buy a gold $2.50 after spending 2 years trying to find a MS-63 or above 1884 liberty $2.50 i thought it would be ok to ask who deals in gold so i could put that coin on a want list. If it's such a common coin and you don't need a major gold dealer to find one i want to know where you buy your coins because i've gone to 3 MAJOR shows and kept an eye on Heritage, TT and Bowers and never saw a 1884 for sale!!!! Please try to find out the whole story before posting and calling people clowns just because they don't know as much as you do. Coin vault 27_laughing.gif it's posts like yours that cause the PCGS bashing over here. Is that what you do for fun, post stupid stuff over there then come here and complain how dumb the people are over there???

BTW i sent the 1864-L to ANACS and should get it back soon. I showed it to several variety dealers and they all agree that it is authentic but damaged. I've had offers as high as $75 even if it does come back as fake (which i'm sure won't happen)

Looking thru the threads here near the top of the first page is a thread asking - Has anyone every tried to microwave a coin in a slab? Now that seems dumb to me but what do i know i'm just a PCGS kool-aid drinker.

Mbbiker,

you should have mentioned you were looking for an 1884 specifically. I think you gave some people the impression you were looking for any quarter eagle. Still, I would reinterate you look at some of the bigger retail dealers or auction houses like B & M, Heritage, Legend, David Hall, Anaconda, Pinnacle Rarities, etc.There are links to B & M and David Hall Rare Coins (DHRC) on PCGS' site. I'm sure a search engine could find the others.

The 1884 may be priced at about the price of a common date, but let me assure you it isn't; only 2, 023 were made, versus hundreds of thousands for several dates of the same type. The relatively low price is probably due to lack of demand, not lack of scarcity. The lack of demand is likely due to the high number of scarce dates and the cost of $100 or more for each coin. This makes it very costly and difficult to complete the set; since few are attempting a complete set, this keeps demand, and prices, down. I would say an 1884, especially in high Uncirculated grade, would be difficult to find.

I appologise for making fun of you. The '64 cent looked counterfeit and the color was off. Plus, it looked as though the surface was bubbled (usually signs of a casting). Also, I wish that you had made it clear that you were looking for a rare date gold coin.

For the gold Quarter Eagle, that will be a tough one. NGC has only 12 coins of the '84P graded MS63 or above (including resubmissions). You may have to wait some time for one to show up at auction, and you will probably have to pay way over bid. All Quarter Eagles between about 1880 and 1899 are tough prizes to find. There are not many to begin with and the are closely held as the rare gems that they are. You might also ask a large Dealer, someone like David Lawrence, if they could help you find one

I'm working on a grading set of liberty $2.50 gold pieces and thought it would be a fun challange to use the 1884 as the date of choice. So far i have a VF and a XF and a good lead on an AU-55 so now i'm just looking for a nice Unc so i'll have the base grades filled then as i find them i'll get the AU-50, 53, 58. I'm skipping the MS-60 grade because that grade is not one i want to own it's way to ugly to pay MS money for.

As for the 64-L cent you said "it looked as though the surface was bubbled" and you are correct it does look like a cast coin BUT if you look at it under a glass you can tell it's been in a fire and that is what caused the bubbles. So based on the pic you are 100% correct that it looks like a cast counterfit.