• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the initials to the unique 1870-S $3 were expertly removed would...

18 posts in this topic

it make it more desirable to YOU? In a sense, who cares, the coin is unique. But really, If it was "doctored" would it be better looking. And IMHO, if the coin were PCG---opps, NGC graded MS67, it would be wore more than its current state, a damaged EF coin. Anyone agree?

Seth

No, it certainly would NOT be worth more to me. In fact, I would consider it even more damaged if the initials were removed. Two wrongs don't make a right. And as a unique coin, if it were mine I would just be happy to have it, and the grade of the coin would not matter to me. It would still be the "finest known" no matter what shape it was in!

I think nowadays collectors are grade-crazy, often ignoring rarity entirely.

No, it certainly would NOT be worth more to me. In fact, I would consider it even more damaged if the initials were removed. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Would it be two wrongs or still just one wrong? After all, if you whizzed the coin to remove the initials, then the coin is whizzed. It's not whizzed and initialed. Kind of like a coin can be AT and I polish the AT off. The coin is no longer AT, just polished.

this has already been looked at per this coin and its current circumatances and acceptance within the numismatic community/climate/market acceptance

and it has so far been better to leave well enough alone to this coin

as ALSO in my opinion more harm than good would be done if the graffiti would be removed

what the future holds i do not know but even if within ten years? with computer aided design and cold lasers i would still leave this coin alone makepoint.gif

a virgin not to be touched again by the hand of man 893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

sincerely michael shy.gif

Too many photos have been taken of this unique coin that clearly show the date scratched into the surface. Nothing could be gained by removing it, and great deal could be lost. Anyone with a lick of experience would know that the coin had been fooled with and that would make it less desirable for most collectors.

As someone wrote earlier, marks like this are like a tattoo. You can efface it, but evidence that it was there will always be evident.

No, it certainly would NOT be worth more to me. In fact, I would consider it even more damaged if the initials were removed. Two wrongs don't make a right. And as a unique coin, if it were mine I would just be happy to have it, and the grade of the coin would not matter to me. It would still be the "finest known" no matter what shape it was in!

I think nowadays collectors are grade-crazy, often ignoring rarity entirely.

Here here! I could not agree with you more.

Too many photos have been taken of this unique coin that clearly show the date scratched into the surface. Nothing could be gained by removing it, and great deal could be lost. Anyone with a lick of experience would know that the coin had been fooled with and that would make it less desirable for most collectors.

As someone wrote earlier, marks like this are like a tattoo. You can efface it, but evidence that it was there will always be evident.

Ditto that. What's the point of removing it when the whole world would know the coin was fooled with?

Here's a link to a pic of the 1870S from the Harry Bass Research Foundation (unfortunately some stupid insufficiently_thoughtful_person decided to disable the right mouse button, making it impossible to link to the pic alone and harder to download the picture)

1870S $3

Here's a link to a pic of the 1870S from the Harry Bass Research Foundation (unfortunately some stupid insufficiently_thoughtful_person decided to disable the right mouse button, making it impossible to link to the pic alone and harder to download the picture)

1870S $3

m18018-HBRF.gif

BTW, you can get to what Greg did by clicking on "details" and then getting the exact URL for the image that way.

Talk about sloppy copyright protection!!!

EVP

Thanks, Greg for the pic.

I couldn't find "Details" on my browsers, but I found "View Source," on both Netscape and Explorer, which will show the code for a Web page, and the exact address of any pix used in the page.

In Netscape the right click still brings up the tab as well as the "don't steal this picture" pop-up.

In IE if you hover over the photo a little button to save the picture will appear.

In IE when I hovered over a picture, I had to click one of the mouse buttons, and the button (on the arrow) to save the picture came up. Then I had to continue holding the mouse button down, while I placed the arrow in the folder where I wanted the picture.

It could be COLORIZED and one of the World Trade Center towers would cover it up.

As well as make it VERY desirable as a personal family memento that you could pass down for generations and order now on the 800 number on your screen and.....

It could be COLORIZED and one of the World Trade Center towers would cover it up.

As well as make it VERY desirable as a personal family memento that you could pass down for generations and order now on the 800 number on your screen and.....

makepoint.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I could have sworn I saw a picture of the reverse somewhere, without the numbers etched into the coin. I wonder if anyone knows how long ago the damage was done?