• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,395 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2024 at 2:04 PM, rmFren said:

The 2 Taler came back as artificial color, which I was sort of worried about. I think I'm going to send it back in for conservation. 

I'm not sure how much NCS can do about the AT and even if they could do something still might be a details coin. 

On 8/28/2024 at 5:14 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm not sure how much NCS can do about the AT and even if they could do something still might be a details coin. 

Just wondering on the color bit, what is the giveaway for artificial color on mine, when something like this is a straight grade?

Looks like they didn't even conserve it this time either. 

And they didn't. Apparently it is just cleaned this time. Good use of money lmao.

ngc-260.jpg

Edited by rmFren

On 7/27/2024 at 1:45 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

image.jpeg.b8b63bc8f736aea158f500918c63f8e1.jpeg

image.jpeg.9b7ab175c96e7447f35b8ade7bbcf14d.jpeg

Are there shillings from the mid-1950’s too? Just checked. Three whole years. 1955-1957. Now to find one.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/24/2024 at 10:04 AM, rrantique said:

PICA0019.jpg

PICA0044.jpg

PICA0004 - Copy (8).jpg

PICA0005 - Copy (4).jpg

There’s a nice 1929 Chamber of Commerce 2 Franc in a Pennsylvania (no Internet bidding) auction I’m thinking of going to in a couple of weeks. Scads of early Large Cents, too.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/30/2024 at 11:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Are there shillings from the mid-1950’s too? Just checked. Three whole years. 1955-1957. Now to find one.

Good luck.

Finding one in über condition with clear, sharp details on the reverse has proven to be a challenge for me so far. The obv I'm willing to be a little flexible as far as the details go, the shoulder fold in particular. I'm looking for examples for all three years and have not yet found a specimen to add to my collection, but I haven't been searching all to hard either. 

On 8/29/2024 at 6:16 PM, rmFren said:

Just wondering on the color bit, what is the giveaway for artificial color on mine, when something like this is a straight grade?

Looks like they didn't even conserve it this time either. 

And they didn't. Apparently it is just cleaned this time. Good use of money lmao.

Hard for me to explain but I've looked at enough coins to know when toning looks right to me and when it doesn't. That's not to say that I'm right all of the time or even most of the time but I have managed to avoid any questionably toned coins to this point.

I'll give a quick rundown on why I would have avoided the 2 thaler. The toning on the 2 thaler looks uneven and blotchy, the color progression seems too abrupt, there are unattractive rust colored areas along with hues of purple, and the bare areas seem to be a dull grey. Contrast that to the other coin you posted which has a much more even/progressive look to the toning, and I would suspect that the toning, coin in hand, would be much more subdued compared to what the image depicts.