• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smithsonian Museum of American History:Money and Medals

15 posts in this topic

Just got back yesterday from taking my family to Washington D.C.

What a thrill to go and see the Smithsonian Collection of U.S. Coins.

Dominating the U.S. exhibit was the J.K. Lilly Jr. Collection of U.S. and World Gold...very impressive collection..I would guesstimate at least 1 thousand coin's.

But for me,the reason for going was the 1933 DOUBLE EAGLE,also the 1849 DOUBLE EAGLE, and lastly the three (3) 1804 SILVER DOLLARS.

In fact, we went back twice,first on Sunday,then again went back on Tuesday...I just couldn't get those coin's out of my head!

The reason for going back the second time was to get a idea of the condition (grade) of these masterpieces.

Well in one seperate case was the three (3) 1804 dollars,the class I,classII,and the classIII, to put it mildly these coins were breathtaking,the first coin, left to right, was the class I,IMO this coin would not do any justice in any holder...the only place it belong's is right where it is for everyone to see and enjoy!

If I had to describe this coin,well,number one, it's sharply struck on both side's (mirror to show reverse) to 200 yr old...(wait wasn't it struck in the 1830's)..patina was very soft,yet imposing,to show it's age and beauty.

The toning,if really any, wasn't target,or bullseye,just filling from the rim's inwardto the center....definitely not shiney white.Plain and simple,just an aged work of art!

Next to that case was another case just like it.

In this case was GOLD, RARE gold..only three (3) coins.

But these coins were, from top to bottom, the ONLY 1849 GOLD $20 Double Eagle...supposedly there were 2 made as patterns from the gold rush in california. The other hasn't been found.From the description it stated that this coin(s) were minted in 1850!

Anyway this coin is spectacular, to me from the naked eye it looked to be somewhat prooflike,the bust of liberty looked a little whiter than the fields.

The second coin in the case was the 1907 St. Gaudens High relief $20 double eagle.

This is one of the most beautiful coins I have ever seen.It was noticeably different than the 1933 $20 double eagle below it.

The fields had a "deep dish" appearance to it making the hi-lites of liberty look 3-dimensional,to me the coin looked pristine.

The final coin in the case was the creme-de-la'-creme,the 1933 Double Eagle.

I have to admit, when I saw this coin I got goosebump's!

I noticed right away that this coin was lighter in color than the '07 High Relief. I also noticed that some of the rays behind liberty had a few nick's in a couple of them. Also,I noticed,what looked like 3 small ding's in the field below left arm.The obervse looked much better,plus it had a creamy patina that covered almost all of that side of the coin.

If I had to grade them:

1804 Silver Dollar MS-67

1849 Double Eagle MSPL-67

1907 High Relief MS-66++

1933 $20 Saint MS-65

Just a short note, if you have kid's (old enough to understand) take them to Washington D.C.

What an awe inspiring place laugh.gif

Rob

If I had to grade them:

1804 Silver Dollar MS-67

1849 Double Eagle MSPL-67

1907 High Relief MS-66++

1933 $20 Saint MS-65

The 1804 dollars and the 1849 $20 are proofs. I believe the 1849 has been harshly cleaned.

One day I'm going to make it out there and see the coins. From what I've heard they only display a SMALL fraction of the coins they have. cloud9.gif

Greg

Now that you mentioned it, the 1849 did have hairlines in the field's....still a beautiful coin.

And you are absolutely right, the display for those coins was very small in comparison to everything else in the exhibit.

One neat thing, there was a young boy there with a camcorder shooting both cases, I stood back to let him have space and also to watch him,when he fininshed we talked and I beleived he asked me were the 1913 Nickel was, I said I beleived it wasn't here. Then I asked him if there were other pattern coins (1974- aluminum cent) in the exhibit he said he didn't know.

He looked dissapointed when I said I didn't think the 1913 Nickel was here,he responded that he had seen all the "rarities" except that one.

I'll never forget the look on that young boy's face,when he saw those coin's. smile.gif

Rob

Great experience Rob - thanks for sharing. I hope to get there some day to have a little looksie! cool.gif

Hoot

I heard rumors that they used to clean all their coins. Does anyone know if this is true? Do they clean the coins these days? If so, does anyone know what they do to them? The Smithsonian seems to be very secretive about everything. I wouldn't mind going down sometime on vacation and checking out their display. It sounds very interesting.

On an unrelated note, I saw a Discovery Channel special 1 or 2 years ago on Noah's Ark. It was a very good show and some people believe that the Smithsonian has the remains of Noah's ark hidden somewhere in their vaults or whatever. It was a very interesting show.

It's been a few years since I've seen that collection (probably 1996?) and all I remember was that I was rushed because my friend had no interest whatsoever. So next time will be all by myself! The neatest thing about the coins you mention is that there is one that you can actually own without being a millionaire, and that's an 07 HR Saint (though I think their example is the extremely high relief which is a LOT more money, and it might even be the plain edge, but I don't recall). I saw a PCGS graded MS-66 HR at a show a couple months back, what a wonderful coin! Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it.

jtryka

As I can recall, I don't remember if it was a plain edge or a wire rim.

I took some picture's of the coin's...havn't got them back yet.

Glad it was fun for you to read,it was twice as fun to be there and experience it laugh.gif

Rob

After doing some digging, it appears that the 07 was an ultra HR, that was given to Teddy Roosevelt as a gift from ASG. Here's a link telling the story of these 3 double eagles: Smithsonian

Thanks for the report on the visit. I'd love to see the coins in person. And neat link, too.

I don't think the Smithsonian ever cleaned coins but it was common practice for collectors a hundred years ago. If there are more rare coins in the archives I hope they go on display before I get there. It's good that they're in public domain.

Unfortunately, coins that have been on display at the Smithsonian & other museums have often been cleaned so they look better to the uninitiated. frown.gif

I doubt the 33s were cleaned, though you never know. In looking at the photos of the 2 33s they have, I think the one on the left looks a lot better than the Farouk specimen, while the one on the right is comparable. Of course I am just judging by the photos as it's been 7 or 8 years since I saw the Smithsonian ones in person, and that was well before the Farouk specimen came public.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Years ago various curators and clerks cleaned the silver coins and many of the coppers, too. The gold coins, since they don't tarnish, were not cleaned in most instances. Current staffers know not to clean the coins in any destructive manner.

The 1849 $20 was definitely cleaned at some point, and at least one of the 1804 $1's showed signs of cleaning. Many of the coins on display appeared cleaned, some worse than others. Still a neat place to visit, even with the damage evident on some pieces.