• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 commemorative nickels

21 posts in this topic

Legislation from April 15 this year authorizes the minting of commemorative nickels to commemorate the Lewis and Clark Epedition and Louisiana Purchase.

Supposedly the nickels will be released late this year at earliest. Does anyone have any more information about when this will be? Is it likely they won't be released until 2004?

I would expect something late in the year, like the 1999 SBA. I assume we'll get a small set at jacked up prices from the Mint as well, since they aren't ready for the standard mint sets currently on sale.

What Keith said is the word on this. The design for the new nickel is on a fast track for selection right now, so I'd expect it this year.

Hoot

The fact that the design is on the fast track makes me even more nervous about what they will finally foist upon us. After all, when they have plenty of time they still choose poor designs...I can only imagine what this will look like. 893frustrated.gif

The current favorite is the Peace Medal design for the reverse and the obverse to remain as is. But the proposal for the obverse for next year has my vote. I much prefer the bust of Jefferson being considered than the one we have now.

The fact that the design is on the fast track makes me even more nervous about what they will finally foist upon us. After all, when they have plenty of time they still choose poor designs...I can only imagine what this will look like. 893frustrated.gif

It could be a blessing. With so little time the committees and PC police might not get a chance to take a beautiful design and turn it into a lifeless piece of junk.

Naah, I don't think I really believe that.... 27_laughing.gif

TomB,

They had a picture of it in last week's Numismatic News. It's ghastly. It's ugly. It's a shame. frown.gif The 2003 will keep the same obverse but shows two hands shaking on the reverse. Boring! 2004 may have a new Jefferson obverse with a different reverse. NN showed 3 or 4 possibilities for the 2004 reverse. They were better than the 2003 but still aren't too impressive for me. I was really excited about the "new" nickel but now, I'm only disappointed.

boo.gif Tomato the designers!

I'd like to see the designs so I can figure out what everyone's talking about.

I just find it interesting that if the new nickels are released this year, it will be the first time since 1938 that two circulating coins of the same denomination will be released from the same Mint with completely different obverse and reverse designs. Last time it happened the 1938-D Buffalo gave way to the 1938-D Jefferson nickel. Now Jefferson is going to be replaced by a new Jefferson.

Shiroh,

At one time, there was talk of changing the obverse to match the obverse of the 1993 Jefferson commem, but I think that idea got nixed. You can be assured that any new design will end up being uninspired and horrible.

The two hands shaking is a reference to Indian peace medals of the early 19th century. Personally, I like that design, perhaps because I also think that Indian peace medals are very cool!

Mark

It led me to an odd page, too, shiroh. I then tried it again and I got the link to the article that Greg was writing about. Very strange... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

According to the article only the reverse will be changed this year. In that case, it's not such a big deal. That happened last in 1976 for the Bicentennial.

According to the article only the reverse will be changed this year. In that case, it's not such a big deal. That happened last in 1976 for the Bicentennial.

You have some Bicentennial nickels? confused.gif

I could make one for you if you'd like.

The Bicentennial quarter, half, and dollar were the last coins to undergo a design change to the reverse of the coin. If the 2003 commemorative nickel undergoes a face lift to only one side, it will follow suit.

Question:

The Mint did not need Congressional approval to change the nickel design (although it would need such approval in 3 years when the design changed again). Why did Congress pass legislation authorizing the design change? Does the Mint not have the huevos to make the change by itself? Did some politician make it his cause celebre to change the coin? confused.gif

Does the Mint not have the huevos to make the change by itself?

No. flamed.gif

Did some politician make it his cause celebre to change the coin?

Yes: Eric Cantor of Virginia introduced the act and it swept through Congress and the Senate. Unanymous votes, no less. 893frustrated.gif

Another self-aggrandizing megalomaniac in congress

The legislation

The Mint's tail-between-the-legs announcement

Hoot

Were politicians also responsible for rejecting the small Liberty head dollar in favor of the SBA? If so, I get a feeling I know what I can expect for the new nickel design-- [!@#%^&^].