• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever owned any interesting circulated proofs?

10 posts in this topic

About all I've owned are proof Kennedys found in rolls, not all that interesting, but neat to find for face value.

The neatest one I ever owned was a 68-S quarter worn to VG which I found in pocket change in 1997 or so. It's incredible that such a coin could stay in circulation long enough to get that much wear.

The neatest one I ever owned was a 68-S quarter worn to VG which I found in pocket change in 1997 or so. It's incredible that such a coin could stay in circulation long enough to get that much wear.

That would be a fun coin to throw in your next submission to PCGS (I'd be a buyer at $100.00 if PCGS slabs it!).

There is a PCGS PR06 1836 dollar that pops up every now and then. Neat coin. Must have been someone's good luck charm.

Lots of them. I think they are neat and have some "history" to them.

The first "classic" proof I bought was a circulated Barber dime. It had been cleaned. It was a PF50. The dealer gave it to me for $40 and some trade - worked out to around $80 total.

Several years ago I came into a bunch of circulated Morgans. Many of them had been cleaned and/or retoned. Still rather neat. They graded in the range of PF40-58. I recall getting them cheap. They were only a couple of hundred dollars each.

I also owned a circ proof gold piece. I don't remember if it was a $2.5 or $5, but it was the Liberty design. I think it was a PF53 or possibly PF55.

For the most part, circ proofs can be had rather cheaply. Those Morgans that I had went for 25% of the value had there not been some minor wear. Nothing like buying a coin with a mintage under 1000 for a couple of hundred dollars.

And of course I currently own this Pop 1 Numismatic Rarity . Soon enough I'll have the PF50 Bicentennial half and PF50 Ike dollar to go with this.

68-S

That would be a fun coin to throw in your next submission to PCGS (I'd be a buyer at $100.00 if PCGS slabs it!).

Drat. I'd give it to you but spent it nearly as soon as I got it. It had nice even wear, and no trace of luster.

I'll keep you in mind though when I downgrade by worst from circulation collection.

24 or so years ago i had a lighly circulated proof three dollar gold piece that was really darkyl toned purple and totally original i believe 1886 just slightly nicked up no hiarlines

and a bright proof gold 2.5 dollar liberty monster hairlined, to death

sincerely michael

Perhaps my find isn't in the same category as some of the classics mentioned, but...

I got a mis-handled proof 1986 Statue of Liberty modern dollar commem from a 7-11 clerk for $5. This was about 3 yrs ago and it helped respark my interest in coins again.