• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of us knew about MS70 and blue IHC?

16 posts in this topic

Even though I have been collecting coins for a total of about 20 years, until about 2 weeks ago I did not know that MS70 could turn toned copper blue. On the other hand, I learned what "dip" can do to silver coins about 2 weeks or so after I started collecting. For me, at least, one real negative aspect of the MS70/blue IHC issue is the fact that I think many collectors were (and probably still are) ignorant of this effect of MS70. I knew that when I purchased a "blast white" silver coin from the 1880s, the coin almost surely was dipped. But I did not know that if I purchased a blue IHC from the 1880s, the coin almost surely was treated with MS70. I think this difference is important; now that I know how blue IHCs can be created, it will affect my demand for them.

I wonder: Prior to the extensive posts about this subject, did you know that MS70 could turn a toned IHC cent blue?

Thanks in advance for comments.

Mark

I knew about it as of about three years ago, but nobody told me. I found out by myself - much to my dismay. I had a couple of copper coins that were spotted, and in seeking advice (not here on the boards), was led to try MS-70. Imagine my disbelief when my coins did unexpectedly and undesirably turn blue on me! I haven't used the stuff since, until my experiment of last week.

I love the comment where you state "now that I know how blue IHCs can be created, it will affect my demand for them". Better than anything else, that underscores the values of this NGC Coin Forum, and the value of open, courteous, non-judgemental discussion, and I congratulate you on gleaning a sliver of good knowledge from your fellow board members.

James

I knew it 2 or 3 yrs ago from my own experience but I never related it to blue IHC's. I have a PR66RB IHC that I bought with a story, a song and a dance of how it was so rare and tissue toned, blah, blah, blah.

My instincts didn't cause me to fall in love with it although it had decent eye appeal. I would never have bought it with the knowledge I have now.

I doubt it will have alot effect on the demand for toned proof Indians. Maybe online here, but the people who read this board and the one across the street probably represent about 2% of the collector base in the US.

JJ

It was eye opening to me. I have not ventured into the toned copper market much, but I plan to one day. I will be carefull and consult some of the experts when I dive into it.

Thanks for educating a clueless collector. I'll never look at blue copper in the same way again and certainly never pay a premium for it. Furhermore, I will be much more skeptical of those wildly tone IHC's whether they reside in in a TPG holder or not.