• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #219 Some Summer Reading

20 posts in this topic

QUESTION:

Of the many books written by Q David Bowers, which was his first?

Good Luck!

Our first place winner will receive The official Red Book "A Guide Book of United States Coins 2007". There will also be a runner up prize given to a radomly selected player.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends

on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators an see it . Stop back this Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

The empire guide to United States half cents, 1793-1857, published in 1962.

I know he wrote some non coin related books also but I thinke this was his first.

I'm going to guess:

Early american Car Advertisements -- 1st edition in 1954.

Coin-related:

The empire guide to United States half cents, 1793-1857 (1962)

ahh, interesting question:

first: Early American Car Advertisements, Bonanza Books, 1954:

second:Put another nickel in: A history of coin-operated pianos and orchestrions, Bonanza Books, 1966.

QUESTION:

Of the many books written by Q. David Bowers, which was his first?

ANSWER:

"The Empire Guide to United States Half Cents"

Congratulations to our lst place winner jtryka you have won a copy of The Official Red Book "A Guide Book of United States Coins 2007".

Congratulations to our runner up winner DAN 8402, you will be receiving a display box.

Thanks for playing this weeks Numisma-Quest. Dont forget to stop by for this weeks PMG quest.

*********** UPDATE ***************

I apologize for the error made in the announcement that the first place winner of this weeks question was Jtryka the actual winner is rtpjr.

QUESTION:

Of the many books written by Q. David Bowers, which was his first?

ANSWER:

"The Empire Guide to United States Half Cents"

Early American Car Advertisements

Publisher: Bonanza Books; 1st edition (1954)

The empire guide to United States half cents, 1793-1857

Publisher: Creative Print; Deluxe ed edition (January 1, 1962)

Was there a previous edition to the Half Cent guide that pre-dates 1954?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I checked with Dave Bowers, and he says that the book on car advertisements was published in 1966: "Book was printed by the Johnson City (NY) Publishing Co. Most copies (several thousand) went to Walter Bellm who used to run Bellm's Cars and Music of Yesterday museum in Sarasota." The 1954 date is erroneous, though there may have been a book by that title done before QDB did his in 1966.

Dave added that he considers his 1964 book "Coins and Collectors" to be his first true book, describing the half cent work as a "booklet."