• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,606 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@dprince1138 :  While I believe I understand your motivation for posting this now, now that the thread has again come around full circle, the OP had made his intentions and expectations clear in his first post on page one. By "edit" I believe he means delete and you may wish to consider posting it elsewhere by incorporating it in a suitable Topic, or perhaps, starting your own.  This is one of the longest running, continuous threads which, unbeknownst to most old and many new members has its own rules we are all bound to respect, with, I might add, the full blessing of Moderation.

It behooves me to agree whole heartedly. This thread is the epitome of coin collecting. Sharing your wares with a challenge to follow. It is blatant disrespect for any one to take away from those that share this small pleasure by interrupting the flow of fun and pleasure just to disrupt intentionally. It’s bad enough that there are many that can not follow the simple process, let a lone have someone continue to disrupt intentionally. 

On 11/22/2023 at 3:39 AM, dprince1138 said:

Either the rules are followed by everyone, or the rules are meaningless. Posters are not following the rules, but there does not seem to be any concern. 

seatedlquarterobverse1977.jpg

seatedlquarterreverse1977.jpg

The rules are set and people are following them. It's all been explained to you. Please stop trying to mess up this thread. 

FIrst of all, the only rules presented in the initial post are date or denomination&type.  There is no "any type, if...", much less, your claim to "any type, if early enough" would be entirely open to interpretation.  There have been bust to seated to bust coins posted.  These failures render this thread an affront to logic, attention and capability. 

The latest deviation is the 1797 half penny, that follows an 1811 half penny, that follows an 1835 half penny.
I repeat my mantra, "Either everyone follows the rules, or the rules are meaningless".

From now on, I will simply assume that many posters do not have the ability, or are simply too lazy, to determine the proper series of coin that should be posted.  

seateddimeobverse1890s.jpg

seateddimereverse1890s.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/22/2023 at 1:41 PM, Sandon said:

@dprince1138--Here are the rules created over the years by @Idhair, the author of this topic, as I understand them. He should correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Except as stated below, each photo of a coin must be followed by a photo of any coin or token of the same date or any coin of the same type. A "type" includes subtypes, so, for example, a Liberty Seated half dollar may be followed by any other Liberty Seated half dollar, whether with or without motto, with or without drapery, or with or without arrows or arrows and rays.

2. Early types may also be followed by photos of other early coins of the same denominations, so that, for example, a photo of a half cent may be followed by a photo of any other half cent, without regard to type. Other such early types include large cents and Draped and Capped Bust types. (I advise that the full range of such types be listed.)

3. Gold is "wild", meaning that a photo of a gold coin may also be followed by a photo of another gold coin of any type. 

4. Tokens are also "wild", meaning that a photo of a token may be followed by a photo of any other token, as well as a photo of any coin with the same date.

5. Though perhaps never explicitly stated, you should allow at least one other member to post a coin after posting one yourself. Although your post of an excessively worn 1877-S Seated quarter was permissible, you should not have posted the photo of an 1877-S half dollar without allowing another member to post in response.

It appears based on early pages of the thread that foreign coins and tokens are allowed, although they usually do not appear here.

The last coin posted having been dated 1867, here are photos of an 1867 Liberty Seated dime graded PR 62 by PCGS, although as it is clearly from the F-102 (Greer 103) dies, it should have been classified as a circulation strike:

1867dimeobv..thumb.jpg.642f091da2a6605a33c5569fb188f433.jpg

1867dimerev..thumb.jpg.1ee63a04973b89bd55abfa54bcc2417e.jpg

The next coin can be any Liberty Seated dime (legend or stars obverse) or any coin dated 1867.  

Thank you @Sandon  Well said. You are correct. Your post would have taken me an hour to type out.

I have two new rules.

6. Post here for the fun of collecting and enjoy the coins that folks share. 

7. No member will ever be hung for making a mistake and posting the wrong image. :grin:

On 11/22/2023 at 4:33 PM, ldhair said:

Thank you @Sandon  

7. No member will ever be hung for making a mistake and posting the wrong image. :grin:

[Actually, "No member will ever be hanged..."  Pictures are hung.] 🤣

Back on Track.  :hi: