• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's some more BS

25 posts in this topic

I'm already in bed when this comes on last night's local news. Some guy in Thomas, Illinios claims to have the fifth or a 1913 Liberty V nickel. He said it was handed down to him from his relatives. He says he may be sitting on a goldmine with this coin. He also said he'd like to sell it.

They didn't show a close up on the coin but a liberty nickel was on some table and it was worn. Looked like it would grade in Good condition. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

I'm sure every dealer in the country is getting calls from people who have this coin or one that is even better because it is older.

One of my local dealers told me that every time the news runs a story on the copper 1943 cent, he gets dozens of calls from people who "have one".

I'm sure every dealer in the country is getting calls from people who have this coin or one that is even better because it is older.

One of my local dealers told me that every time the news runs a story on the copper 1943 cent, he gets dozens of calls from people who "have one".

It's absolutely amazing how little the average person knows about coins. They usually can't identify who is on the current issues, let alone the scarcity of obsolete ones! Many people think our coins still contain silver! The one that shocks me the most, however, is when they can't tell me what a nickle is made out of, and I'm not kidding 27_laughing.gif!

There was a story featured on America Online's welcome screen yesterday regarding this coin and a $1M reward for it offered by Bowers & Merena. Given the talk on these boards about it over the past week or so, it was interesting to see the subject make the mainstream.

Beijim

CNN carried an article this morning on their web site, and a friend e-mailed me the link. I kind of chuckled, then e-mailed her the rest of the story as I knew it, as well as some pics of a couple of the coins.

She kind of freaked when I told her that I had chatted with one of the owners of the four known coins online.

I thought about calling up the local newspaper and saying I had the coin! grin.gif

Probably more publicity than you want.

Call the paper in New Jersey and tell them that the new employee over at Legend knows all about it and is hiding the coin.

I understand that Mehl caused traffic jams nationwide when he announced in the papers how much he would pay for a 1913 Liberty nickel because he had every bus driver and trolley car driver in the country stopping to look at the date of every nickel that passed through their hands.

dragon

What is even more surprising - and actually is downright scary - is to ask someone who isn't a coin collector who is on which coin currently in circulation.

For fun, I tried this last week-end with my 15 year old son and his 16 year old cousin. Then, after that, I tried it on my wife and my mother...the responses were comical. No surprise, they all knew who is on the cent, and only my nephew didn't know who is on the quarter. But the nickel and dime - none of them knew. What had me laughing is that they all said the nickel had a buffalo on it! 893frustrated.gif

Also, my son said Franklin is on the half dollar...but that's only because he has seen some of mine. Only my mom recalled that JFK is on the half.

Give it a try - ask someone who isn't a collector, and who doesn't have the coins in front of them - who is on what coin. I'd be curious to hear what responses you get.

It's absolutely amazing how little the average person knows about coins. They usually can't identify who is on the current issues, let alone the scarcity of obsolete ones! Many people think our coins still contain silver! The one that shocks me the most, however, is when they can't tell me what a nickle is made out of, and I'm not kidding 27_laughing.gif!

I Just want to share a little story with you all real quick.

One lonely Saturday I was working and a guy from Chicago calls. He was asking me if I could tell him the value of a Morgan Dollar. I asked what year it was and if it was graded. He had no Idea how to tell if it was graded so I asked if it was in a holder. He said no then I told him about circulated and non circulated and asked where he got the coin from. He said a customer gave it to him, then he proceeded to tell me how he lit the platic holder it was in on fire and melted it to get the coin out of the plastic 893whatthe.gif. I was pretty amazed and all I could do was wonder was that the plastic the grading companies slab and said that is probably not what you wanted to do, and dont mix it in with change. It was the best yet sadest story I had heard to date. This happens all the time, people calling up and asking about a coin they found in their piggy bank, for example a 1957 wheat penny or something to the like. Sometimes you get a chuckle and others you can be pretty astonished at what the average person will do with a coin.

Hi Todd

I like Jefferson's! The upside to being 7th is that your collection is better then at least 9 other collections. Keep up the good work.

Leo

Since this thread has gone with the "stupid public" theme, here is my little "story" Last summer I went to the bank to get some rolls of halves. Give my son something constructive to do, looking for varieties and such. After all was done, I had a partial roll left,so I took the full ones back to the bank, then went into town for some errands. I wound up going to Wal-Mart and got some little item we were needing, and my son was along, and I had just checked out when he finally got my attention that he was wanting to get a pack of gum. I just grabbed a couple of the halves from my pocket, told him to pay for it while I waited, since no one was in line behind us. The girl took the half from him for the pack of gum, then proceeded to get change for a dollar!!!! she had taken a moment to eye the coin, and right then I knew something was up. I politely told her that it was a fifty cent piece, and not a dollar. She smiled and remarked that she had never seen that kind of coin before and just assumed by its size it was a dollar coin. She was probably 20-23 years old, tops. grin.gif Next time I may pay for a week's worth of groceries with halves!!!! 27_laughing.gif

Since this thread has gone with the "stupid public" theme, here is my little "story" Last summer I went to the bank to get some rolls of halves. Give my son something constructive to do, looking for varieties and such. After all was done, I had a partial roll left,so I took the full ones back to the bank, then went into town for some errands. I wound up going to Wal-Mart and got some little item we were needing, and my son was along, and I had just checked out when he finally got my attention that he was wanting to get a pack of gum. I just grabbed a couple of the halves from my pocket, told him to pay for it while I waited, since no one was in line behind us. The girl took the half from him for the pack of gum, then proceeded to get change for a dollar!!!! she had taken a moment to eye the coin, and right then I knew something was up. I politely told her that it was a fifty cent piece, and not a dollar. She smiled and remarked that she had never seen that kind of coin before and just assumed by its size it was a dollar coin. She was probably 20-23 years old, tops. grin.gif Next time I may pay for a week's worth of groceries with halves!!!! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif, Or maybe you could trade some of those halves for a few of those smaller Sacs with that gal. 893Funny-thumb.gif

Leo

I thought about calling up the local newspaper and saying I had the coin! grin.gif

Better yet, call up the paper, tell them your name's Hager, and mention that you have TWO of the five, both in MS70 condition. 27_laughing.gif

Beijim

Better yet, call up the paper, tell them your name's Hager, and mention that you have TWO of the five, both in MS70 condition. 27_laughing.gif

Beijim

OK, I'm going to try to top that and say that the guy on the news, claiming to have a 1913 nickel, might have faired better, claiming to be no other than, Elvis Presley

himself. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo

I hope the ice cream was good. 893frustrated.gif

The story I've heard and practically lived by for all these years is that the owner of the fifth nickel had died in a car crash and all his coin collections went scattering all over the road and into a ditch in the accident. That's where I thought the coin was lost. What other stories will I hear.

Leo

Since this thread has gone with the "stupid public" theme, ...

Oh, Oh, OH, OHHH, I've got one of those. Happened a couple of weeks ago.

A person I know, who is having severe financial difficulties, calls me up and tells me she has a collection (her mothers or fathers) and wants to know what it is worth. I go over there and look thru it. Nothing special. Lots of common silver and a few coins here and there of minor value. I offer her $140 for the lot. It's not even worth my time, but I am going to do this as a favor. I offered what an honest dealer would offer if he took the time to look thru it. I was just going to take the box of stuff to a dealer I know and ask for the same amount of money from him.

She wants to ask her son if he wants any of it first since it belonged to one of his grandparents. Fine, ask him and I'll come back some other time.

Few days later I get a call telling me that she will sell it. Now the stupid part. She'll sell me what she's "got of it". confused.gif Got of it I ask. Well, she ordered a pizza and when the guy arrived she realized she didn't have any cash. So, she decided to pay him using coins from this box. She paid him with silver half dollars. mad.gif

The story I've heard and practically lived by for all these years is that the owner of the fifth nickel had died in a car crash and all his coin collections went scattering all over the road and into a ditch in the accident. That's where I thought the coin was lost. What other stories will I hear.

Leo

Didn't they find a 1913 Lib Nick at the crash site and it was an altered date? Or was that another tall tale?

Just as a side note about the 'fever' raised by the story: My website had more than double, and almost triple, its normal daily number of visitors the day after the story broke. It has finally receeded back to normal levels this weekend.

Leo

Didn't they find a 1913 Lib Nick at the crash site and it was an altered date? Or was that another tall tale?

Not a tale at all - merely the simple truth.

She paid him with silver half dollars.

27_laughing.gif, and life went on.

A couple of years ago, I came across an advertisement on a bulletin board at a hyvee store. $200 in silver dollars for sale! So I went to the address and the old woman came out with an old jewelry box and the way she was carrying it, it looked heavy. She says, I want $500 for these and she sits the box down and opens it and they're Ike dollars. I did have my hopes up there a little but trying to explain to her they weren't silver dollars was useless or she just didn't want to believe me.

Leo