• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way to Collect Proof "Sets"?

6 posts in this topic

Since about 1996, I've been collecting annual proof sets from the Mint, and starting in 2000 (not 1999, unfortunately) I started to collect the silver proof sets, as well. Over the years, I've also bought a smattering of sets from prior years.

However, I'm not a big fan of the presentation of the sets from pre-1980 with their flip thing from the '70s. And though I like the standard size and generally standard placement of the coins from year-to-year, I'm not that attached to it.

That being said, what do you guys think of collecting slabbed versions of each proof coin from a given year? So like a run of NGC slabbed 1977 penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and half dollar. The advantage to this that I see is that they're graded and generally slabs are harder to break into than the Mint's casing. The only downside I see to it is that it's not really a proof set from the Mint. I guess I should add that I collect because I like the coins and I'm not in it for an investment, but I do like it when my coins are worth that something extra.

So how do you collect proof "sets" and do you see any real advantage to posessing actual proof sets from the Mint from more than 2 decades ago?

I like having them in the original packaging. I don't really collect the clad sets outside the SQ years, but I've been collecting the silver sets since they came out in 1992, and I have every one with all the original plastic cases, inserts and cardboard boxes.

I'm more of a collector for hobby myself also. I like them in the original pack. Slabbing to me just would just makes the coins another coin. I have collected mint sets from 60' on up, and am fortunate enough to have all statehood years in silver, proof, and uncirculated.

I collect them and house them in the Eagle Album for Proof sets. I have 1968 to date including the silver proof sets.

I did have 1957 to date but didn't like the 1957-64 run as far as eye-apeal goes so I sold them.

Eagle Albums for proof sets