• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

I have been hot for this coin for months - but I was unable to persuade

the owner to sell... Yesterday was my lucky day... this is on its way to me...

45ae7a3e.jpg

Can anyone fill me in on what I'm missing? Why is that in an MS63 holder? I only see two abrasions on the obverse, one on each leg. There is a bit of chatter on the lower shield rivets, and the head is not full, but that's about it. The reverse has a small "dig" in the left field. But, the luster is strong, and the strike is superb for 1919 as far as I can tell. Again, this isn't my series, but I'm seeing MS64 or slightly better.

Can anyone fill me in on what I'm missing? Why is that in an MS63 holder? I only see two abrasions on the obverse, one on each leg. There is a bit of chatter on the lower shield rivets, and the head is not full, but that's about it. The reverse has a small "dig" in the left field. But, the luster is strong, and the strike is superb for 1919 as far as I can tell. Again, this isn't my series, but I'm seeing MS64 or slightly better.

Did you also take into account all of the nicks on the rim.

There is also an abrasion across the face.

It also seems like it has a lot of detail missing to get the higher grade.

Don't get me wrong I love the coin!!

I am going to say it has been dipped and retoned and the luster may not be good enough to support a higher grade.

Beautiful 1919-S SLQ Mike. :cloud9:

I agree, way better than MS63. Perfect candidate for a gold bean.

I am resubmitting it to NGC as soon as I receive it. I think it belongs in a 64 Holder, too.

It'll go to CAC once it's in it's new holder.

I am resubmitting it to NGC as soon as I receive it. I think it belongs in a 64 Holder, too.

Why do you think so? The strike is great and the marks are minimal...but given luster doesn't always translate well to photos is that where you think they got it wrong before? Lehigh could be right about it being lackluster. Let's us know when you get it....

jom

1884Obverse-1.jpg

Got this coin at the FUN via Heritage. To my suprise, this coin is a VAM2A. I opened the package today and was looking at the coin. I noticed alot of interesting marks on the Reverse so I went to VAMWorld to check it out. I was suprised when the big pictures on VAMWorld were of the coin I was holding in my hand. Pretty neat! I now have the only Star grade VAM2A (according to NGC's population report for this VAM).

I will definetly let you know how this coin fares in the upcoming weeks.

I have had this coin in my possession before and it has screaming luster;

and you're right, luster doesn't always translate well in images.

At the moment - all I care for is what the graders at NGC have to say about it.

========================================================

Another coin presented itself to me today and I couldn't resist:

99236483.jpg

21122f91.jpg

40b5a2b3.jpg

Nice Half Eagle if I do say so myself.

Why do you think so? The strike is great and the marks are minimal...but given luster doesn't always translate well to photos is that where you think they got it wrong before? Lehigh could be right about it being lackluster. Let's us know when you get it....

jom

The luster looks good enough for a 64 to me. Congratulations on the new purchases everyone.

jom

The luster looks good enough for a 64 to me. Congratulations on the new purchases everyone.

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm curious to what El thinks when he sees it. Along these lines I've got a 19-P that NGC graded 62 that I find rather undergraded. So maybe NGC is just being difficult. Note: both of these coins seem to be in similar holders...

jom

1884Obverse-1.jpg

Got this coin at the FUN via Heritage. To my suprise, this coin is a VAM2A. I opened the package today and was looking at the coin. I noticed alot of interesting marks on the Reverse so I went to VAMWorld to check it out. I was suprised when the big pictures on VAMWorld were of the coin I was holding in my hand. Pretty neat! I now have the only Star grade VAM2A (according to NGC's population report for this VAM).

That is a real stunner, nice pick up!

Best, HT

I am VERY happy with this one!

CoinMorgan1879Sngc66.jpg

CoinMorgan1879Sngc66b.jpg

That is cool, West. I sold my MS65 blast white Morgans last year. I wouldn't mind picking up a nice MS66 Morgan sometime.

why does that morgan have a "+" ? i thought NGC gave stars and PCGS gave the plus..

Both NGC and PCGS give out plus designations for coins that are high end for their grade. NGC additionally uses a star designation to denote a coin that has superior eye appeal (e.g. luster, toning, etc.). A coin that is low end for the grade could star for instance, but would not receive a plus grade.

I wish my NEWP had a star, that would inch me closer to the number one spot in the war nickel registry. Guess I will just have to settle for top pop.

JN1943over2-PNGCMS67.jpg

Edit: I finally found a nice 1917-S Cent in a 64 RB holder with out SPOTS !!

This coin seems to have more RD than BN as well. Paid a premium for it.

I think it's worth it... ( images to follow... )

Couple of additions to the 1917 Mint Set [ My Father's Birth Year ]

1917-D

22a82d47.jpg09e11ab9.jpg

1917-S

0764f82d.jpg8b2a5f40.jpg

This is my first US Note -

0c7390e0.jpg

Edited by Elbesaar