• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Well.........my name is Victor and I'm an addict. :þ

Next week is my last for this x-ray, cat scan, MRI assignment and I'll have a week of vacation pay after that. So, prudence would probably dictate that I remain coin free but the heck with that! Where's the thrill in that? :) But, I'm planning on working right away and not taking another summer off, so, I'm cool. :cool:

Thanks for the compliment, guys.

I'm not much for silver trimes but both those halves are gorgeous! Especially the proof walker! Congrats Victor! Of course this comes from a guy whose last few purchases were in the F/VF range!

Jeff, this trime is actually gorgeous! It's satin luster really gives it an oompf!

And, don't compare your collection to mine. I don't even own a St. Gaudens. :( I do need one for type eventually. I will either buy a nice MS65 or a nice XF with great eye appeal (if one even exists). Have you ever seen VF-XF examples with honest wear and and a thick skin?

The sad thing is that most saints in the VF-XF range have been polished and used in jewelry.so definitely not what you are looking for! I have seen a few nice looking 08-S in XF, but they are definitely priced beyond type! The best I can do is tell you I've seen some nice AU ones with great eye appeal for the grade, with just the slightest rub, of course they are not easy to find (although I may have a couple in my collection!). Right now I am just waiting on the arrival of a couple busties which have taken most of my attention lately!

OK, this is the last purchase for awhile...at least until next time. I just won this tonight in the Scotsman auction. This coin has the exact color I wanted for this type. I love it! I believe that it is wholely original (at least I hope so) and is the color that circulated copper should be on good planchets. The shipping and the juice added quite a premium on the coin but I believe that I will always be happy with this purchase.

46487-1803LargeCent.jpg.885a334bf4d8e0d005c6ef930dba564e.jpg

Well, these are some of my latest. The gold coin I bought to celebrate turning 21 on the (19th) and the commem is the first of what I hope will be several modern silver commem proof dollars. I think the commem dollars are some of the best coins to come out of the US Mint in the last 20 years.

(BTW, let me know what you think of the pics since this is one of the first times I've tried to photograph as opposed to scanning the coins.)

46521-100_1102_cropped_resized.JPG.3ac4329cec515d042040e3357a407cad.JPG

46522-100_1101_cropped_resized.JPG.22ab53fda80d231d5ded73d4c2e4f544.JPG

Edited by Revenant

I garee, the pics are fine taking thru slabs. Nice pick-ups there William. I like that Congress $, I hadn't seen one of those. They have a nice design.

I garee, the pics are fine taking thru slabs. Nice pick-ups there William. I like that Congress $, I hadn't seen one of those. They have a nice design.

Yeah, it's an image of the statue of freedom that sits on top of the Capitol building. heh. Liberty is a woman and Freedom is a guy. Who knew? (We'll I think the statue is supposed to be a guy) (shrug)

Nevertheless, an interesting coin. Here's a pic of the reverse in case you're interested. :)

46549-100_1100_cropped_resized.JPG.5ce2959ef5a8687f38ef9ebc0566fa37.JPG

Nice pickups, William. Images looks great. Those darn slabs play havoc with the lighting. Happy belated birthday.36_1_11-1.gif

Thanks for the b-day wishes. I never knew until yesterday that "Black Monday" actually occured on my first birthday. lol

The lighting is a definite pain with the slabs. :pullhair: I also don't have my tri-pod so I had to hold the camera and I had to cut the shutter speed down to 1/125 to keep from blurring the image but that made the images darker than I wanted. :pullhair: It's crazy how hard it is to photograph a reflective surface, that's underneath another reflective surface. :)

Happy Birthday Rev! I have a 3-coin set of the congress bicentennial, and I really like the designs of the dollar and half dollar, which has a close up of the freedom statue's head.

Happy Birthday Rev! I have a 3-coin set of the congress bicentennial, and I really like the designs of the dollar and half dollar, which has a close up of the freedom statue's head.

I keep trying to get myself a nice PF69 half dollar (since I like that design too) but I can never seem to find one going for a price I consider reasonable at a time when I can devote the funds to it. :(

Thanks for all the b-day wishes guys. For the record it was a pretty nice day. I got to spend some time relaxing, and for a Junior chemical engineering major with a part time job that's saying something in and of itself. I also got some great news when I realized that I had longer to do 1 hw assignment than I thought I would and another wasn't nearly as long/hard as I was expecting (these 2 things combined are mostly why I got to relax all evening). No drinking though. I have a freshman roommate and a little known and obscure rule prohibits having an open OR closed container in the dorm unless both of us are 21 (which he isn't). If I'm caught with alcohol in the room I'll get written up for an alcohol violation even though I'm actually old enough to drink. You have to love university policy, right? lol