• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,911 posts in this topic

Nice looking columbian there Lee! Nice Gold there Chad. You can try to think about digging something like that up on your vacation! thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif

If only I could be so lucky

BUT.... what's the chain of provenance on that beauty?

That must have been in some NOTABLE collections.

Stunning.

Here is some provenance grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

"1792 Half Disme. LIB. PAR. OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY. 1792 (Liberty Parent of Science and Industry 1792). Bust of Martha Washington as Liberty to left. Rx UNI. STATES OF AMERICA HALF DISME* Eagle flying to left. Uncirculated. Obv. evenly centered; on upper edge across the top of the coin and just above the inscription it is not struck up and shows the file marks in the planchet. Rx not evenly centered, the milling only around half of it as it is struck a trifle low. This specimen has an interesting history being one of four that belonged to David Rittenhouse, the Astronomer and First director of the U.S. Mint, 1792-1795 and has never been out of the family until now. It is now a light steel color but perfectly uncirculated and a little gem of the greatest importance historically and a rarity too".

Nice Columbian Lee. Wonderful toning. thumbsup2.gif Most of the ones I see are in pretty sad shape. Yours is awesome.

Nice winner Chad. Can't go wrong with a fairly low pop gold. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's one I purchased the other day off of TeleTrade my first one. It is not as fine as the other coins posted lately but I purchased it because I thought the die crack looks neat.

1880987-c23901235-a.jpg

1880987-c23901235-a.jpg.64406b1b524bfd05373c3c7aefe4013e.jpg

Edited by harvey8542

More good looking Gold there Chad. thumbsup2.gif

and Lee, that is nice looking toning on that Columbian. The Seated Liberty Twenty Cents and the Capped Bust Quarter Dollars are great, I love those two types. Good additions. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Rey

Yeah, if you guys think that old half dime is great, wait till you check this out, I bought me a whole roll of these 1955-S dimes, those are whole dimes mind you, not half ones! poke2.gif

1955s10croll.JPG

And at least they spelled "dime" right on those 1955s! Did they not have proofreaders in the days of the half?

But did you buy them from a former director of the mint? grin.gif

No, but I bought them from the daughter of a guy that might have been the former director of the mint...I've never asked though, so I may never know! insane.gif

I frikkin WOKE UP thinkin of that damn half disme.

That thing eclipses the more expensive 1913 nickel and 1804 dollar by MAGNITUDES!

I guess I'd consider it CHEAP! Especially after seeing it.

Rather than being steeped in controversy, it is steeped in HISTORY!

Man, it is neat.

thumbsup2.gif

I got these from the local coin shop DSCN0360.jpg[/img]

the roll of wheats, two buff. nickel and walker were free, they gaveaway free thing every week.

these I picked up on ebay DSCN0362.jpg[/img]

I bought 16 of them as a lot 4 were damaged coins

6 were vg or less

only 6 I will keep and rest go in the junk box 893censored-thumb.gif

Thank you all for your kind comments about the half disme! blush.gif

Count_Erfit, well said. That is exactly how I feel about the coin, and why the Foundation acquired it and will be putting it on display. The history is just undeniable, and I would like everyone to get an opportunity to see it.

-- Cardinal

www.EarlyUScoins.org

I know you've all probably seen these in much better condition but this is my first ever silver 3cent and I consider it a gift from Conquerer!! Also, I can't tell the date. I think 1851, any ideas from the pics? This will test ya'll!! thumbsup2.gif

18513centsilverObv.jpg

18513centsilverRev.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! smile.gif Here's a run-of-the-mill Lincoln that arrived also: wink.gif

DSCN3792A.jpg

Well, sometimes I guess I just can't help myself. makepoint.gif I'm out here in west Texas visiting the folks and there is one coin shop, the only one apparently within a couple of hundered miles. I spent a couple of hours there yesterday going through a lot of coins.

I found this 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent that I decided to acquire to replace the one that I have which NGC is of the opinion has been artificially colored. I wish I could image this one as Bob does, since the toning and color is more pronounced.

Grade opinions welcome please.

Rey

1909VDBOb.jpg

1909R.jpg