• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Great coins everyone.

Here is one of my latest.

O-116, R.2

1830-1.jpg

1830a.jpg

"Very Nice"!! thumbsup2.gif

These two arrived today:

DSCN3024A.jpg

DSCN3029A.jpg

The Trade $1 fills the hole in my DANSCO 7070. I know it's not the greatest example known blush.gif but ok till I find an upgrade.

GAP FILLER 99p could not resistit

sorry.gif if i im bringing the post down sorry.gif

But it looked so sorry for its self..........He could not even give it nice scan crazy.gif

hi.gif

1743953-11.jpg1743953-1.jpg

1743953-1.jpg.8ac698409f474c61f35072814efdf603.jpg

Edited by dooly

TR, very nice set. thumbsup2.gif Didn't you show that as a set (in a plastic holder) at one point?

123 Nice Bustie! thumbsup2.gif

Sweet Lincoln Lee!

Fun Barber dooly!

Hey your cent is a lot better looking than the one I had. I bought the '62 proof set in a capital acrylic holder off ebay. It was one of a group of 3 that had such bad auction pictures I didn't even know they were toned, and only paid 21 bucks total for all three grin.gif

Ps. The other two sets were not toned.

Those must have been housed in an album to have such equal toning. Very nice matched set. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Latest purchase from Lee Gast. yay.gif

1744326-1806hdcomp.jpg

Heres the Auction Description:

1806 50C Pointed 6, No Stem VF30 PCGS. O-109, R.1. The well known engraving blunder without a stem through the eagle's right (facing) claw. Aqua-blue and earth tones blanket this nicely detailed Draped Bust type coin. The reverse rim has a planchet flaw, as made, at 10:30.

1744326-1806hdcomp.jpg.33c951c8b5744ded975fa61e4fa7cdbb.jpg

Nice Bust half, Victor. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Are the shape of the stars on this half characteristic of all Bust halves? It almost looks like a die break from the point of the star to the dentils.

Are the shape of the stars on this half characteristic of all Bust halves? It almost looks like a die break from the point of the star to the dentils.

Bob, during that era, these coins were pressed without a collar, and what you see is the metal flow outward towards the periphery which becomes more evident as the die wears, so the star points which point to the edge, become drawn out.

21 Bucks for all three is great, you ended up with some nicely toned coins there, the cent is just another coin in the set. The others make up for it by far I am sure .

Rey.

Bob, during that era, these coins were pressed without a collar, and what you see is the metal flow outward towards the periphery which becomes more evident as the die wears, so the star points which point to the edge, become drawn out.

Great question, Bob!!!

Great answerer, Mike!!!

Mike, I hope you don't mind but I quoted you under the item's description in my registry set. thumbsup2.gif

1806 50C Pointed 6, No Stem VF30 PCGS. O-109, R.1. The well known engraving blunder without a stem through the eagle's right (facing) claw.

This is very cool, especially since I was just reading about it. I just can't remember where. confused-smiley-013.gif

Victor, that is a very attractive coin! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Skyman. Lee has hooked me up with at least a half a dozen coins that are solid, eye-appealing coins. As a matter of fact, a majority of my type collection has been purchased by NGC forum members. The boards are a great networking tool that provides opportunities not easily found elsewhere.

Here is a piece I purchased at the last Baltimore show. It is an 1870 half dime in NGC PR-66. Its part of my original, never dipped Proof type upgrade program.

I have not found the way to show the luster on these coins in photos. That's why the obverse shot is not very good. Nevertheless, this coin has full Proof luster under the toning, which is gray, gold and blue on the obverse and mostly blue on the reverse. The piece also has a lot of raised die polishing marks, but they don't detract from it very much.

1870HalfDimeXO.jpg

1870HalfDimeR.jpg

Very nice half dime, Bill.

It seems quite a few Seated Liberty Proofs of different denominations have these die polishing marks.