• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,912 posts in this topic

My newest addition - and the last coin needed to complete the set - to my Mid Range Barber Half Set:

1893-S VF 35 [ IMHO ] 1513270-1893SHalfRAWobv.jpg

1513270-1893sHalfRAWobv.JPG.fe3b6fef9e81057fe7fcaf06457a839b.JPG

Edited by Elbesaar

My newest addition - and the last coin needed to complete the set - to my Mid Range Barber Half Set:

1893-S VF 35

Sweet! What an accomplishment!

1513270-1893sHalfRAWobv.JPG

A '93-S in VF35?!?!?!?!?!? Holy Smokes! Folks, if you don't collect this series, you will have no idea how tough this coin is, or for how much over bid it likely cost. thumbsup2.gif

Nice coins everyone thumbsup2.gif

I stole the seller's pics on this one because they are better than I could do. For more info on these please read TomB's post I obviously found it fairly convincing wink.gif

1803.JPG

Nice coins everyone thumbsup2.gif

I stole the seller's pics on this one because they are better than I could do. For more info on these please read TomB's post I obviously found it fairly convincing wink.gif

1803.JPG

Wow! That is a coin that I would love to own. Wow!

Thanks guys. I should have noted earlier that I harassed TomB almost daily while I was trying to find one of these. I finally found one that he approved of and I bought it. Thanks again Tom thumbsup2.gif

Cool! smile.gif How is it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just started reading in earnest, but my quick perusal shows that it has promise. (This is a 1974 facsimile reproduction of the edition published in 1924). Steve Crain recommended it to me. The book is a nice companion to G. Evans, History of the United States Mint and Coinage (1891).

Frank Stewart was the owner of the Frank Stewart Electric Co. in Philadelphia. His company purchased real estate in the city to expand its operations. He discovered that the property that he purchased was the site of the First U.S. Mint, and he took it upon himself at great expense (there was no governmental interest at any level) to excavate the site, much like an archaeological dig. He writes about the facility, the people, and the laws that gave us our first federal coinage. I understand that he commissioned the painting that appears on the cover of the book. It's a picture of George & Martha Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, David Rittenhouse, Tobia Lear, Henry Voight, and Adam Eckfelt inspecting the first coins struck.

Nice coin! thumbsup2.gif Congratulations on the accomplishment! 893applaud-thumb.gif Do you have an image of the reverse?

Yup, I sure do; I will post an attachment...I'm out of practice about adding images..sorry

Here's the obverse - again:

1516225-1893sHalfRAWobv.JPG.396df724bd533c408fd13626fd8f7a93.JPG

Edited by Elbesaar

The surfaces on that coin look pristine in that picture, Boiler. I agree with you on the design of the reverse. I gotta say, though, that Liberty's visage reminds me of a schoolmarm who's about to smack a student with a ruler. 893whatthe.gif

I was sick in bed yesterday, and since I was missing school I decided to do something productive with my time. So I went on a coin shopping spree. All are seller's pics, I don't have them in hand yet.

1889SeatedDime.jpg

1848LargeCentObv.jpg

1848LargeCentRev.jpg

1837CBHObv.jpg

1837CBHRev.jpg

I think I just blew my coin collecting budget for the month.