• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,903 posts in this topic

The theme for this type set is one pattern for each denomination that was actually adopted and used in commerce. The basic set will include the following denominations:

Half cent

small cent

large cent

two cent piece

three cent silver

three cent nickel

nickel

half dime

dime

twenty cent piece

quarter

half dollar

dollar

trade dollar

gold dollar

three dollar gold

quarter eagle

half eagle

eagle

double eagle

I would love to include the four dollar Stella and the Half Union but unless I win the lottery........... confused.gif The budget won't allow it. My pattern collection is not limited to this set but at the moment it is what I am concentrating on. Five "holes" to go smile.gif

I don't like following Boiler, but here we go . . . 1871 5c S1-3000

1871S1-3000Obvupload.jpg1871S1-3000Revupload.jpg

Images (and services) courtesy of Mike Printz at Larry Whitlow, Ltd.

Here's a close-up of the date that I took to complement Mike's pictures:

1871S1-3000date.jpg

Here's a close-up of the date that I took to complement Mike's pictures:

Awesome closeup!! Did you take that pic?

makepoint.gifwink.gif

The shield nickel is a beauty, which seems very odd to write.

sumo.gif

Thanks for the comments, guys. I see that I'm now sandwiched between Boiler and IrishMike and then Chinook. 27_laughing.gif But this particular Shield has a chance of holding its own.

Edited by IGWT

I was just strolling by, didn't even sign in, and then I saw that drop dead Shield nickel, and I fell on the floor. Then I picked myself up, sat down in my chair and saw that 1914 piece of [embarrassing lack of self control] chinook posted and I almost cried. THEN, I saw that golden rose blue greenish Seated dime, and I got dizzy...and THEN I scrolled upwards again and blew my mind looking at Boiler whatsisname's type set (and damn, theres a half dollar piece in there I really really don't like). The nerve of all of you!!!

That Oregon IS amazing. The strike is magnificent, the surfaces are meticulously devoid of distractions and the toning really shows off the design. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

That Oregon IS amazing. The strike is magnificent, the surfaces are meticulously devoid of distractions and the toning really shows off the design. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif
Exactly what he said.

I don't have much knowledge about coins. My grand father passed away and left me the following coins:

Thirteen (13 coins) 1999 W $10 Mint Error Stk w/unfinished. Pr Die PCGS MS69 all the plastic holder say the same thing except for the long group of numbers on the bottom of the label.

Two (2 coins) 1999 2 $10 IGC-MS70 Business Strike from Unfinished Proof Dies

Seven (7 coins) 1999 W Eagle G$5 with w MS70. These platic holders are white and there is a sticker on the inside that says Numastic Guaranty Corporation of America.

Two (2 coins) Eagle $50 PCGS PR70 DCAM 1998-w

Question: I know these are gold coins and they have gold value. I took these coins to a local coin dealer and he said he would give me "melt value" for them. He said they are all error coin that have very bad defects. They should have been polished up like a mirror at the Mint but were not because the workers were lazy or just didn't care too much about it. Dull coins are not very desirable to collectors

Two of these coins are very shinny -- the big ones and he said that they were worth about $1000 each cash money

He must have thought I wanted to sell them. I wasn't. I just wanted to know if these coins are worth holding on to. If gold is on the rise, I think I should.

Any opinions? Please let me know.

Janine.

Howdy and welcome Janine. The dealer you brought the coins to was apparently trying to rip you off big time because there is a significant premium attached to many of the coins you listed.

The 1999-W PCGS PF69 coins are modern error coins that sell for a large premium over melt value. Any coin that is graded MS70 or PF70 also generally sells for a premium over melt. The statement regarding very bad defects is nearly unbelieveable in its outright attempt at fraud.

You should post this as a new thread on the coin boards so that folks will notice it.