• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nicknames for coins

32 posts in this topic

I know that some currency has some nicknames such as "horseblankets" for example.

how many nicknames can we list for various US coins?

Would something like the "Mercury Dime" for the "Winged Liberty" be considered a nickname?

Fishing Lure definitely would be considered a nickname for that coin. laugh.gif

If you think about it, pretty much every name of a coin is a nickname. Unless the only name for a coin was it's denomination and year. I guess we could talk about them as being cars, such as first generation, second generation, third, etc.

How about the "eagle" for $10 gold, and fractions/multiples thereof? Or a Union for a $100 gold, and half union for a $50? Or a Trime for a 3-cent piece? Nickel is technically a nickname for the 5-cent piece. Or Stella for the $4 patterns?

Come on people, you could do better than that !! blush.gif Here are some nicknames:

Buffs, Mercs, Walkers, Fliers, SLQ's, Ikes, Sacs, Jeffs, Libs, trimes, Lincs, cartwheels (for Morgan dollars, or silver dollars generally), Saints, and the Little Princess (who can tell me which quarter eagle that is !!)

Sunnywood

The 1841 Quarter Eagle for the Bass specimen. Actually any $2.50 from 1840 to 1907 is technically a "Little Princess".

How about, "Oh pretty good thanks"

I don't think that counts unless "Oh dear god what is that ugly thing" is a nickname for the SBA or "Oh great another one of those things" is a nickname for the Sacagawea.

Come on people, you could do better than that !! blush.gif Here are some nicknames:

Buffs, Mercs, Walkers, Fliers, SLQ's, Ikes, Sacs, Jeffs, Libs, trimes, Lincs, cartwheels (for Morgan dollars, or silver dollars generally), Saints, and the Little Princess (who can tell me which quarter eagle that is !!)

I guess you're right Sunnywood, but with the exception of cartwheels and Little Princess (Coronet? Liberty Head with Ribbons?), I just don't think of those as nicknames, especially! blush.gif

How about the booby headed cent? 893whatthe.gif

Hoot

Silver dollars were called "bo dollars" a long time ago. Barber dimes were called "Morgan Dimes", at one time.

As much as I dislike Franklins "bugs bunny half" is a nickname

That's just the nickman of a specific 1955 clashed-die variety, though. It does not describe the entire series, thank goodness!

That's just the nickman of a specific 1955 clashed-die variety, though. It does not describe the entire series, thank goodness!

There are several other dates that have the Bugs Bunny variety, but the 1955 is the first/best known.

If you want to talk about die varieties, the 1794 cents have some of the best ... like the "Apple cheeks" obverse and "wheel spokes" reverse ... who can name other 1794 varieties?

Sunnywood

coin luv........................ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

to me "COIN LUV" flamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifis a nickname for a collector that has a monster exceptional coin cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif be it toned or otherwise 893applaud-thumb.gif

sincerely michael shy.gifshy.gif

What we now call a Morgan dollar was once referred to as a "Bland dollar", after Richard Bland, who introduced the authorizing legislation. Draped Bust coinage used to be called "Filleted Head" or "Filet Head" coins.

Note: I garnered this information from William T. Gibbs' article in the 5/26/03 edition of Coin World entitled "How the Coin Got Its Name".

I know quite a few people here on the east coast that still refer to Draped Bust coinage as fillet head. I also do this on occassion in conversation.

Can someone please explain to me in what way the draped bust portrait is "filleted" ??? What does that mean?

Sunnywood

The meaning of the term is something that I think I once knew, however, it escapes me at the moment. I will try this weekend to find a reference for it and will share with you the information if I find it.