• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do you collect

12 posts in this topic

I working on a pcgs registry 20th Century type set now. but I also have a raw complete U.S. type going I like. the other set I have done in the past are Lincolns, IHC, Washinton quarter, Kennedys, Sacs, SBAs, and Ikes. Some day I think I get into Morgans.

I mainly collect Type coins, bust halves and Saints for certified coins, but I have raw sets of just about everything, all the current circulating stuff, Morgans, Mercs, Buffs, 2c, 3cn, and Ikes.

I working on a set of colorfully toned commemoratives.

I'm also toying with a Peace dollar set. I think I am going to try for a colorfully toned set, but they are hard to find with any color other than brown/gold.

Greg- I have a (in a PCGS MS65 holder, crossed from NGC) 90% RED Booker T. When I say RED, I don't mean brown or gold- this one's RED.

I know these came this way, but are they common? If you're interested, I'll bring it to Long Beach for your to view.

-The Collection I'm working on right now are colorfully toned Moderns. I like the Ikes and Kennedies but also love to find rainbow colors on modern Commemoratives and Washington quarters.

I'm also still working on my set of "Worse Known" problem free type but that's been slowing down as the coins I now need (the set is 50% complete) just don't come in super low grades (ever try to find a Memorial cent in AG03?).

Greg- I have a (in a PCGS MS65 holder, crossed from NGC) 90% RED Booker T. When I say RED, I don't mean brown or gold- this one's RED.

I know these came this way, but are they common? If you're interested, I'll bring it to Long Beach for your to view.

Yep, I would be very interested. I only have 2 or 3 of these in my collection, so it's highly likely a date/mint that I need.

BTWs are common with toning. They can usually be found with color (yellow is really common, red & blue is somewhat common). The problem with these is that the coins spent so much time in their holders that the colors have gone well past nice and has become way too thick or it is splotchy. Finding a DARK one with colors is easy. Finding a nice solid colorful one that has goo luster and is attractive is hard.

I collect buffalo and Jefferson nickels with an avid fervor. I also collect classic commems and some modern commems, but I'm very slow about these. I also collect U.S. type, but so far only from raw coins that are very fetching in eye appeal that I have graded; these can be any grade, but they must be visually excellent. I also stuff albums: both circulated examples and uncirculated; all non-gold 20th century stuff. I will crack 20th century slabbed material for the albums.

Hoot

I'm sure it's obvious, but in addition to Peace dollars I dabble in Morgans, 20th century type sets, and raw everthing for albums. My Peace set is getting to the point where upgrades are very expensive, so I've been thinking about starting a second focus area....maybe Walkers or SLQ's....

I collect coins based on the birth years of people who are or have been important in my life, so this extends from 1900 to the present and includes anything minted for those years. I found that it keeps me controlled because my tendency is to spend kind of arbitrarily just because I read something or like the look of a coin. But it can get kind of frantic, especially if there's a P, a D an S and a Proof mintage (isn't one representative enough? Do I have to collect every facet for that year?). Since I've actually bought some proof Franklins, Lincolns and Washingtons, which, in the past, I totally ignored, I've become addicted, and have to hold back from going for a c o m p l e t e S E T ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

which is something I've got an issue with

but the compulsion is there (aren't 2 or 3 DCAM PF Franklins enough? Do I have to go for the WHOLE SET????? ). or...do I HAVE to buy ALL the key date PF Washingtons in Ultracam? Hold me down...I'm losing control!!!

But on a more positive note, this kind of collecting has allowed me to acquire really spectacular coins, from a really beautiful (absolutely gorgeous) Indian head penny to a really well struck beyond imagination Washington quarter, and I've learned to appreciate aspects of mintage that I previously took for granted - like the clean line in the Franklin design (there I go again, those damn mirrored cameoed proofs, I want ALL of them).

Ain't that somethin?

I look for lustre filled and frosty MS66 or better Washington Quarters (SILVER) holdered in NGC, mostly w/ a few PCGS.

Also a few with eye appealing toning.

And to test my patience, I look for nicely toned (UNCLEANED) FINE- VF Barber Halves. I love that Gunmetal patena!!!!!!

Rob