• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few Minor Rarities Coming Up For Auction

14 posts in this topic

Anyone browse the Stack's catalog. A few semi-rare coins are being offered for sale. Nothing really rare like a MS69 State Quarter or a PR70 Buffalo dollar, but there are a few minor rarities.

An 1870-S $ in unc+.

2136stc.jpg

An 1884 & 1885 Trade dollar in lower grade proof.

Too bad they don't have many pictures in their online catalog.

alot of folks on the forums knock stacks because 90% of their lots are raw but the the people that know their stuff and can attend their auctions can pick up some mighty fine coins at mighty fine prices. they are the ultimate auctioneer for people that know how to grade coins.

Not as shiny as my state quarter( and I was lucky enough to find this treasure in my pocket change), but not a bad looking coin.

As said, I wish they had more/better pictures.

They really need to work on their on-line lot listing, most of the Saints listed didn't even have the dates mentioned! I don't mind raw, but at least tell me the date!

The key is you have to attend. You going to buy that 70-s raw, from an online image? smile.gif

Of course not. I took TDN's advice and am having a dealer prescreen the 70-S for me. I hope Centles does a good job prescreening it for me. shocked.gif

Of course not. I took TDN's advice and am having a dealer prescreen the 70-S for me. I hope Centles does a good job prescreening it for me. shocked.gif

Uh, I meant a quality dealer. I think Littleton is attending. grin.gif

I might be naive, but my limited experience has proven that you can depend on Sack's auction desciptions. They're pretty accurate.

If you need an 1870-S to complete a collection, does condition matter that much? There's only a few in existence.

I might be naive, but my limited experience has proven that you can depend on Sack's auction desciptions. They're pretty accurate.

If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything.

Whew. The urge to post is finally gone! grin.gif

Whew. The urge to post is finally gone! grin.gif

Ok, I can read between the lines!

Re Stacks:

Pretty accurate is a pretty accurate statement, but pretty accurate will still lead to a pretty fair share of disappointments.

I have bought many great coins from Stack's, and, if I average out their grading over the years, it is in fact quite accurate, on average. The fluctuations, in both directions, may be a problem! I have had a few notable debacles, due to either sloppiness of "exuberance". Still, the diversity of style that Stack's adds is a benefit to the numismatic community. And, if your interest is ancient coins, or Celtic coins, or something off the mainstream, I am not sure if there is any better dealer to work with.