• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 Jefferson Nickel

8 posts in this topic

With the President signing the leislation for the change in the Jefferson nickel for 2003-2005.

My question is will there be two jefferson nickels in 2003? The one with the old reverse and one with the new reverse.

In 1921 we had both the Morgan Dollar and the Peace Dollar.

Todd

Last I heard there will be a new obverse design as well (or at least a redesigned Jefferson, and rumor was it would be like the commem dollar). As for 2 nickels, that's an interesting question. The mint release stated the design must be in production within 6 months or so, but I just looked at the production figures for the first quarter and there were 125 million nickels minted, which are presumably the old design. So unless they are destroyed, there would be 2 for 2003.

I'm betting that the Mint Set for this year will contain the classic Jefferson/Monticello design, and then the Mint will release the new nickel and package it separately, similar to the way the 1999 SBA's were released.

And I too had heard that the new nickel would have the obverse taken from the 1993 Jefferson commem dollar.

I'm betting that the Mint Set for this year will contain the classic Jefferson/Monticello design, and then the Mint will release the new nickel and package it separately

This is correct. Can't remember where I heard that, but it seems to me that it was a Mint press release.

And I too had heard that the new nickel would have the obverse taken from the 1993 Jefferson commem dollar.

This is still a rumor. Infact, it's rumored that when the Jefferson/Monticello 5 cent piece returns, it will bear resemblance to the $1 commemorative.

Hoot

I really hope that second rumor turns out to be false, I really don't want the nickel to look anything like the Jefferson commem dollar or even the Jefferson nickel!!!

In an interview given at the Charlotte show Mint Director Henrietta Fore stated the new nickel design for 2003 would be packaged and sold individually to collectors.

In an interview given at the Charlotte show Mint Director Henrietta Fore stated the new nickel design for 2003 would be packaged and sold individually to collectors.

Thank god. I was worried that the mint was going to produce something for the common person that could spark their interest in coin collecting.

Hopefully they will attach a large surcharge to the sale of this coin.