• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are people so eager to buy First Strike ASE's??

11 posts in this topic

I am a devout believer of "collect what you like & like what you collect", but I always have found it curious that so many people appear eager to buy PCGS "first Strike" ASE's. Now, I should say I am a huge fan of the coin...it's big, it's silver, so for me its all good. My question is why pay the premium for plastic.

From my ever so brief experience it appears most ASE's are 68/69. It is fairly easy to eye ball a 69. Also, I have read numerous threads about the development of milk spots, post slabbing. I guess I don't get why someone would want to pay $29 for a coin they can get an identical version of for half that?

Just curious.

All those First Strike coins are SO cool. After they are "First Strikes," which emans they were struck first. They were not struck second--they were struck first. Can you think of anything cooler than a coin that was struck first? A coin that struck second is definitely inferior and should probably be melted. And don't even get me started on what should happen to coins that were struck third!

Mark

I am a devout believer of "collect what you like & like what you collect", but I always have found it curious that so many people appear eager to buy PCGS "first Strike" ASE's. Now, I should say I am a huge fan of the coin...it's big, it's silver, so for me its all good. My question is why pay the premium for plastic.

From my ever so brief experience it appears most ASE's are 68/69. It is fairly easy to eye ball a 69. Also, I have read numerous threads about the development of milk spots, post slabbing. I guess I don't get why someone would want to pay $29 for a coin they can get an identical version of for half that?

Just curious.

Plain and simple - Its the "I'm The First One On The Block To Have The Newest Something-Or-Another" syndrome! Or, just plain ego and bragging rights - a definite sign of insecurity! 893whatthe.gif

bulla bulla

i have found that the general public in general loves to get

fastunked

porked in the rear end and then they thank you for it and go back for more

also people in general who collect coins are sheep

they are lemmings and they will follow each other off of the perbaburial cliff

they love to buy overpriced crapola

All those First Strike coins are SO cool. After they are "First Strikes," which emans they were struck first. They were not struck second--they were struck first. Can you think of anything cooler than a coin that was struck first? A coin that struck second is definitely inferior and should probably be melted. And don't even get me started on what should happen to coins that were struck third!

Mark

And herein lies only one of the conundrums with the new NGC "FIRST STRIKES" plural designation. It is, after all, metaphysically impossible for all so-designated coins to have been struck before each other, so there must be something else going on...

And indeed there is. We find after reading the announcement that "FIRST STRIKES" means minted before the end of January of the coin's year. Where Silver Eagle coins are concerned, this makes the "FIRST STRIKES" designation essentially meaningless, since the U.S. Mint began making the 2006 coins IN AUGUST 2005, for Pete's sake. This means that several hundred thousand, if not over a million, 2006 ASE coins would be eligible for the designation.

Money for nothing, chicks for free.

screwy.gif

Beijim

I think because they have visions of "better, more perfect coins." I don't think people realize they change the dies, or maybe, they think there may be a variation later in the dies and they'll have the first variety?