• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

24k Gold Plated Coins...virtually worthless?

7 posts in this topic

They have no relation to a proof set as these are not proofs. They are business strikes.

Coin shops usually sell these sets for $6-$12.

From a numismatist's perspective, these coins are damaged. But commercially, they are worth a small premium, with the packaging actually being worth more than the coins.

When I buy stuff like this, I pay about $2.

James

I took 3 of the 24kt gold plated quarter sets I had gotten along the way as extra stuff tossed in to lots I've bought to the FUN show and gave them to dealers to give out to hometown kids when they got back to their shops . The dealers that got them were the ones that I had either purchased a fair deal from or sold coins to and all said that since they did not really sell these things , they had no problem giving them out to kids that come in to their shops as freebies .

I actually got a gold plated bicentennial quarter from an ebayer once when I emailed them about them forgeting to send me an auction win...I still have that one as a keeper as it looks cool to me .....I wish the mint made a real $10 gold coin with the drummer boy dude on it back then .