• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What one coin in your collection would you NEVER sell?

12 posts in this topic

I know, the question has probably been rehashed more than enough times, but then I'm not a multi-year vet of the forum, so forgive me on that one.

To answer the question for myself, the first $20 Saint I ever bought. I started collecting when I was 15 on a trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (the brass 1 Schilling sparked it, I don't know how or why, but that one coin set everything in motion). When we got back, I found a nearby coin shop and started going there as much as I could (and still do to this day, if anyone here gets into the Nashville, TN area, look up The Coin Purse, EXCELLENT place and excellent people). When I saw the Saint in person, I was hooked... I was young, it was big, gold, and had a sweet design. So I scrimped, and I saved, and tried and tried and tried. Well, a couple years later (~$500 is rough money to build for a teen), we took a trip to Hawaii. We spent a week on Maui (aka paradise on Earth) and a second in Honolulu. We also just happened to be there at the same time as one of the big HSNS shows at the Queen Kapiolani hotel. So I snagged a weekend pass and went to Coin Heaven. Near the end of the trip and show I bought it... a 1925 Saint in a nice AU-55 PCI slab (long before ownership change happened). Great luster, decently mark free. I snagged it for $410 at the show and will keep it from here on out. Others may be worth more, others may be cherrypicked, slabbed and sold off, but this one... this one is MINE.

If I had to pick just one, it would probably my '28 Peace Dollar. It's from my Grandfather's collection and it was by chance that I was able to get it. It was given to my dirt-bag cousin who was trying to pawn it. I was in the right place at the right time and was able to buy his complete Peace Dollar Collection. Only one UNC. in the bunch but they're really special to me.

Btw. I was his namesake.

Hi,

The one coin I cannot sell is an 1879-CC Morgan Dollar a nice XF. This particular coin was pulled from circulation in the 1930's by my great uncle James, for whom I was named. He liked the "old West" connection.

I inherited it upon his passing around 1980.

-JamminJ

I have no coin that I would never sell. While there are many coins in my collection that I have no intention of selling, there is always the chance that I will simply tire of coins and leave the hobby (as I did once before) or that someone would offer stupid money for it or that my interests will just change and I'll decide to get rid of the coin.

The coin that is the cloest "never sell" for me would be my red Pilgrim or my 1963 1¢ PCGS PR70DCAM. smirk.gif

$6 isn't stupid money. $39,100 is stupid money. I hope John Troy, the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who actually paid that much for it, realizes that the coin really is a $6 coin.

Greg,

you wouldn't be confident enough to crack it out raw and resubmit?? lol

I have some gold coins that were my grandfathers. I wouldn't sell them for any amount of money. I do mean any amount.

I am sort of with Greg on this, and there are few coins I would never sell. If you have the cash, and the numbers are ludicrous, then let's talk! There are a few Saints that I would not like to part with, and my 1916-D Barber Quarter, but pretty much everything else can be pried out of my hands with enough $100 bills. grin.gif