• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What bores you, coin wise?

29 posts in this topic

My short list:

[*]Slabs of white, common Morgans graded MS64 being passed off as the cat's meow.

[*]Slabs of White Silver Eagles - can you say "Contrived Market?"

[*]Roosevelt Dimes, SBA's, Ikes, Proof Singles with no character, and 1938-D MS Buffalo Nickels.

OK, no flame wars!

No one take this personally but here are a few things that bore me (and I am sure most of you get bored of many of the series I collect too):

Any slabbed bullion coin (except when they are being hawked by the coin vault guy, then they are quite entertaining)

Modern "grade rarities"

Small denomination gold

Classic commems (There are a few I really love, but so many of them do nothing for me, wait a minute, I guess it goes for modern commems too!)

Foreign coins are almost always boring to me.

That's pretty much it, almost everything else, I can at least look at and be entertained, even if I don't collect it!

Most post-1947 US coins

Morgans (and Peace dollars too) that aren't MS65+, rare date, or proof

Grade submission results

Most EBay auctions (unless it's something that's (a) really rare or (b) so ludicrous as to make you laugh out loud)

Generally, if it is made of metal and was legal tender somewhere in the world at some time I'm at least nominally interested. That being said things that I find dull include:

Among US coins: Kennedys, SBAs and Roosevelts. I actively dislike the design on the platinum bullion coins, but I guess that's not boredom but dislike.

Anything included in the NCLT torrent of stuff from places such as Liberia or Gibraltar, like Harry Potter crowns.

Any coin with an Olympic theme. Yawn.

-JamminJ

The long drought between keeper coins. I enjoy breaking that monotony with the posts and pictures from other collectors. Not many coins bore me. I will admit I never learned to appreciate the ASEs or modern commemoratives. Some moderns interest me. I like cameo SMS coins, and silver moderns. I also enjoy some of the darkside stuff, especially the large silver coins and the early coppers.

I asked a question on the other boards once about which most interested other collectors, art or history. Most said history. I love the history, but I also enjoy the art. Part of me enjoys the research too. Thank goodness its such an expansive hobby.

NCLT federal issues after 1954

any dipped blast white coins from any era any series

silver proofs are an exception as if they have the right look and have deep clean clear non hazy non cloudy mirrors and cameo/deepultra cameo as this is the way they were supposed to look and were made like this to showcase the mintmasters art

deeply mirrored dmpl morgan dollars hopefully cameoed! are another exception for me

most all modern coins after 1950

but there might be some rare exceptions to the above for me but i have not seen any as of yet but nothing surprises me in coins anymore

sincerely michael

Dipped white anything.

Any coin still in circulation or that circulated while I have been alive.

Modern commemoratives.

Morgan dollars (a trillion minted and every one of them available at every coin show I attend).

Seated coins.

Liberty gold. Even UCAM proofs don't do it for me.

Copper (except very early large cents).

Problem coins.

Brown toned anything.

"Any slabbed bullion coin..."

Forgot that category. What were they thinking when they started slabbing these gift items? Oh wait, I know.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ mad.gif

A rusty old discolored coin that everyone drools over as the best "toned" coin available and pays 350% of the going price for the privilage of seeing a little color under the rust. Then collector asks everyone to look at it and they tell him it's AT!!

Wow, Greg, that's a long list! I have to agree with most of them, but let me try to find a few positives among the list:

Dipped white anything.

A bit hard to disagree with this one, although I'm not too offended by a carefully dipped 20th century coin.

I'm older than you, so this doesn't apply. (at least I assume you wouldn't turn down a buffalo nickel or STQ)

Modern commemoratives.

Wow, what a sad story. How could we have so utterly failed in this endeavor! If I were to try to select a few that I like -- maybe the Statue of Liberty 50c - the reverse at least, and I am somewhat partial to the Christopher Columbus coins. Also, in general, I think the $ 5 gold series is fairly cool.

Morgan dollars (a trillion minted and every one of them available at every coin show I attend).

My wife certainly agrees with this one. When I was assembling a date collection, I frequently heard "haven't I seen this one before." I do have a roll of toned 1896 Morgans that were culled from an original mint bag. This is a pretty cool item. Few could be called true Monsters, but the variety is amazing.

Seated coins.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. (Surely you must think a no-stars dime is a cool thing, such a clean obverse design.)

You must have something against Christian Gobrecht! Wouldn't you like to add a "CAL" quarter eagle to your commemorative collection? When I am flush with funds, I will move this coin up on my priorities.

Copper (except very early large cents).

Between Seated coins, liberty gold, and copper, you have excluded a rather large segment of our numistmatic history!

Problem coins.

I have one problem coin that I am very proud of, although since it is both a Seated coin and a problem coin, I'm a little afraid to show it to you. (1839 original Gobrecht dollar -- historical, even if a problem)

Brown toned anything.

When we meet, I will try to convert you with a high grade BN large cent. In spite of the designation, it is truly alive!

I'm older than you, so this doesn't apply. (at least I assume you wouldn't turn down a buffalo nickel or STQ)

No, I wouldn't turn them down. As for age, I'm from the Ike dollar and clad Kennedy era. I'm not a huge fan of SLQs, but I will probably get a nice one for a type set in the future. It will NOT be a "full head" example, since I think that is a useless designation. I like the Buffalo design, but they are so hard to find well struck with few marks and nice color. I also have a horrible time grading them between MS64-66.

Modern commemoratives.

Wow, what a sad story. How could we have so utterly failed in this endeavor! If I were to try to select a few that I like -- maybe the Statue of Liberty 50c - the reverse at least, and I am somewhat partial to the Christopher Columbus coins. Also, in general, I think the $ 5 gold series is fairly cool.

That's about how I feel. Sure you can find an OK coin if you have to pick, but none would make me run out and buy them. I really wish the mint would do some sort of silver half dollar that isn't treated with kid gloves. A true business strike coin. And of course a design that doesn't make me want to cry.

Seated coins.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. (Surely you must think a no-stars dime is a cool thing, such a clean obverse design.)

No and don't call me Shirley. OK, that coin is interesting. However, 99% of the Seated coins are just unattractive to me. I think it is an ugly design.

You must have something against Christian Gobrecht! Wouldn't you like to add a "CAL" quarter eagle to your commemorative collection? When I am flush with funds, I will move this coin up on my priorities.

Yep, a CAL would be nice for historical purposes, but it would still be an ugly coin. smirk.gif

Problem coins.

I have one problem coin that I am very proud of, although since it is both a Seated coin and a problem coin, I'm a little afraid to show it to you. (1839 original Gobrecht dollar -- historical, even if a problem)

I think the Gobrecht dollar is a beautiful coin. It's just different than the other Seated coins. I would love to own one. It's on my list, but right now I am so determined to finish my commem set that I'm trying to not look at other coins that tempt me.

Brown toned anything.

When we meet, I will try to convert you with a high grade BN large cent. In spite of the designation, it is truly alive!

Brown copper is OK if it is smooth. I'd love some smooth brown early copper like a Chain cent. What I don't want is brown toned silver.

It'll be great to meet you. You have some nice toned commems that I want to pry out of your collection. shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

I know I excluded a lot of coins, but there is a lot left for me. I want to finish my commem set (144 pieces + 3 Norse medals), then the gold commem set, some Bust and Flowing hair coins, a Half Disme, a Chain cent, a rainbow toned Peace dollar set, Gobrecht dollars, some Indian gold, St. Gaudens, some early gold, a few patterns that have caught my eye, and a couple of other things - listed in no particular order.

What bores you, coin wise?

In general...

Liberty gold

Most, but not all seated coins. I'd love a good type set and I'd love to know their history better!

White Morgans

Liberty nickels, yes nickels

Barber coinage - blech tongue.gif.

Late-date coronet large cents

Modern Olympic commems

Post-1991 Jefferson nickels!

Oh probably others... smirk.gif

Hoot

In no particular order:

Monster-toned anything, it's just dirt, tarnish and oxidation.

Most coins minted before 1901.

Franklin half dollars.

FS, FSB, AH, FT, FH, FBL, VAM, J# and any abbreviation I may have missed.

The endless cycle of repetitive questions.

Sets

Like a set of any coin of which there are more than 30 or maybe even 20 ... allllll with the same face, just different dates...totally boring

phrases like ' a set is worth more than the sum of it's parts '

I didn't have much interest in modern coins until recently, but after I got a few for my type set, they brought some interest to me.

So I can't judge whitch is boring until I hold them in my hand....I may collect high grade state quarters in future.

Virtually anything slabbed post 1964, but especially slabbed modern bullion coins and modern commems. So what if it's MS-69???

Modern commems in their original packaging, OTOH, do not bore me unless too common or too ugly.

The carnal thinking behind shelling out 10X, 100X over coin values for pop top certified coins. Has anyone figured that out yet?

Registry sets!

And the fact that over 250 luckers have read this thread but couldn't post to it.

Now how boring can that be! lol

Leo

Most of the "contrived coinage" from our mint over the past 2 decades or so.

Kennedy's, Barber's, and surprising to most, winged liberty head dimes.

- Most boring pre-federal coinage - Connecticut coppers - poor copies of British half pennies.

- Most boring 19th century type coin - Nickel Three Cent Piece

- Most boring modern coins - Almost anything minted after 1964 that is in a slab, regardless of the the grade. Some of the modern commemorative coins actually grab my attention and my collector dollars when they are in their original mint packages, but as soon as they go into a slab, they become totally boring for me.

EXCEPTIONS: Doubled dies and other major mint errors.

Believe it or not, I'm actually starting to get bored with modern bashing. It just shows that anything, no matter how aggravating can become boring after seeing it enough times. Generally it says far more about the speaker than the objects of his disdain, anyway. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What bores me, coin-wise, is anything that's available in quantity. That basically puts onto the list just about all moderns (except certain high-end issues), just about all post-1857 proof issues (except those monster original and cameo pieces), the typical lightly cleaned ED and Bust half, Morgans, generic gold, etc.

It's easier to list what excites me than what bores me...

EVP

Now we can't even express an opinion when someone else asks for it with getting the "basher" label. 893frustrated.gif

There are a number us who are not willing to chime in and support you in your modern coin marketing campaign, Clad. A number us do not agree with you when you contend that no modern coin can ever be priced too high. 893whatthe.gif

I've never said that modern coins don't have a place in everyone's collection. You and I just fundamentally disagree on one point. You think the sky is the limit when it comes to pricing them. I think that their prices should and will come down to earth regardless of how much some person who is suffering from Registry Feaver has paid for them.

Any coin can be priced too high and I've never said otherwise. Certainly there are moderns which are priced too high compared to the overall state of the market. There are classics which are also priced at levels that seem toi defy reason. I see no point in stating which I believe are too high when obviously the prices are set by supply and demand. This would seem to apply doubly to the coins that newcomers to the hobby find are attractive. Certainly if ANY individual feels he needs to warn newbies that prices can be overstated and significant losses are possible then he is bound to do so and I would see no reason to attempt to intercede. But this warning and the warnings about the dangers (limited largely to classics) of counterfeiting, doctoring, sliders, and the like have become nearly the only message we are sending to newbies. It can not be beneficial to the hobby to dwell on the pitfalls, and some individuals send very few other messages.

I really have come to be nearly bored by negative statements about moderns in any case, though frankly I worry a great deal about how potential collectors who find these comments will react. It's a rare individual who will go against the conventional wisdom though by the same token it is this kind of individual who has been attracted to this hobby.