• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why do you like NCG better than PCGS?

25 posts in this topic

As a buyer, it doesn't matter to me what slab a coin is in. I will not pay a premium for a PCG$ slab.

As a submitter I like NGC because I feel they care and try to do a good job. I'm a TINY submitter, but I feel that they care about me and my submissions. Now that might not be true. They maybe couldn't care less about me or my submissions, but they never let that show. That is something that isn't true at PCGS.

I can also understand the grades I'm getting when I submit. I used to be able to hit 95%+ of the grades for the coins I was submitting to PCGS. That remaining 5% was probably evenly split between being surprised with a higher grade or disappointed with a lower grade. Then that all changed. MY grading standards didn't change, yet all of a sudden I wasn't hitting so high anymore. I'd look at coins recently submitted that graded MS64 and compare it to MS66s that I made six months ago and there was no difference. These are series that I was worked with for over a decade. I gave up. Also got too many overgraded modern proofs out of PCGS. Yep, I said OVERgraded. Their modern proof standards became so lax that everything leaving was a PR69. NGC is strict, but I can understand their strictness and it is also consistent. Not so with PCGS.

Also with special requests. Here I wanted to have some submissions shipped back together to save on postage. No problem for them. It didn't matter that one invoice was finished long before another. It wasn't a problem. At PCGS they may or may not do that and only if the invoices are completed at the same time. Once they shipped my invoices together and charged me as if shipped separately. Do you think I ever got an answer as to why or a credit? After 3 emails and a non-returned phone call I gave up. My time was worth more than the $16.

These forums have gone a long way toward improving my opinion of NGC. I have a problem and post it, I get a PM from someone at NGC wanting to help fix it. Something is unclear about a special request on my submission, I get a phone call from NGC to clarify it. At PCGS my emails went without replies to. I would call and leave several messages and they wouldn't be returned.

All of the above makes me want to support NGC and not support PCGS.

Because you can get high quality accurately graded coins for less then if the EXACT same coin was in a PCGS holder at the EXACT same grade. But when it comes right down to it I will buy a coin in anybody's holder as long as the price is right for the quality of the coin regardless of the listed grade.

I will buy a coin in any holder if the price is right. But when it comes to highering a grading service to properly assess my coins, only NGC has proven to be relyable enough. They are willing to work with you when there is a problem and they are unbelievable consistent. Consistency is required in a grading service.

why do you like NCG better than PCGS?

That's a strong statement, and I am not sure it's true for me. On some series I think PCGS does graded better, and on others I prefer NGC for grading. But in either case I will buy based on the coin, so I am always looking for coins that either service undergrades! As far as the holders go, I like NGC better for gold and nicely toned coins, as I think they look better against a white background. I like the PCGS holders better for blast white silver coins. As far as customers service goes, I can say nothing good about PCGS customer service, and I can say very little negative about NGC's (except the one time customer service hung up on me, though I think (hope) it was a mistake.

I don't like either better as a blanket statement, rather, I think each has strengths in certain niche markets in numismatics. As for the coins, I will buy nice coins in either holder, it doesn't matter. NGC has seriously better customer support while I like the PCGS slabs better than the NGC slab. It all comes down to the coin.

Because you can get high quality accurately graded coins for less

Because you can get high quality, accurately graded coins closer to their current market value.

Leo

Since you mentioned the companies in the title, and not coins, I'd like to respond correctly.

1 - Interested in Collectors - I like NGCs involvement at shows and through the ANA with collectors. I appreciate their graders taking the time to teach the grading seminars. I enjoyed meeting and chatting with the gentlemen who taught the class I attended.

2 - Customer Service - I like the customer service folks. I have had several opportunities to chat with them regarding submissions, and they are always cordial, act like they have time to answer my questions, and are generally very helpful. They make me feel welcome.

3 - AT holder - To many, I'm sure this isn't a big thing, and I realize the slab is probably the least expensive part of the submission process, but I prefer the airtight holder. I think it improves the coin's chances of long-term survival and I worry less about humidity.

4 - Acceptance of PCGS coins in registry - I am not a registry participant, but it seems clear to me based on NGCs posture regarding PCGS coins that if they have a political agenda, collectors are not used as the pawns in their ongoing struggle with PCGS for market dominance.

5 - Fair grading - I believe NGC is interested in making sure the submissions get in the right holder (no gifts, just the correct grade) the first time, and I feel pretty confident the same coin if resubmitted would get the same grade on resubmission. Their bias feels neutral between the submitter and any potential future purchaser of the coin in their holder. PCGS seems less concerned about undergrades. I believe they think PQ coins graded conservatively in their holders can only help their product image. That self-serving agenda is pointed out clearly in their crossover philosophy. Short and to the point, PCGS seems interested in promoting their interests with my submissions, not mine.

6 - Stricter strike designation requirements - I think NGC got it right regarding Franklins and Jeffs with their more stringent strike designations. If collectors are going to use the designation to differentiate these coins, it should be reserved for the very best examples. JMO

7 - NCS - By choosing to allow conservation, NGC will perhaps save thousands of coins from ruination by experimenters who are unable to properly neutralize chemicals they apply to the existing coin population, while returning to collectibility many coins that would otherwise languish.

8 - Attribution - major variety attribution is a great addition to the services performed, and I wish the list of coins attributable was more inclusive.

9 - Involvement in their own forum - I don't mean occasional involvement. I know I can ask a question regarding coins, customer service, or new products and get an answer in no time. Once again, it's obvious NGC prioritizes differently than PCGS, and values the collector community.

10 -Prompt turn-around - I am usually surprised by the speed with which my coins are graded and returned to me, even coins submitted using the lower tiers.

I like many coins in PCGS holders, but increasingly PCGS feels like a dealer service, and less like a collector service. Since collecting is my hobby and not my business, I'll spend my hobby money with the folks who seem most interested in collectors.

I'm on a decent level with my grading style, and how ngc grades. I'm usually VERY close with my submissions. Of course I'll miss something here and there, but for the most part, I'm satisfied with my results at NGC. That doesn't mean I get "gift" grades. Hardly. It means I get very close to what I expect.

With pcgs I was all over the place. You start second guessing what you've learned over 20+ years, and it was frustrating, to say the least. I didn't need the aggravation.

The question of the better (or, best) 3rd-party grading service is ageless and timeless.

I think this is a useful question only if you remember that the results (or, responses) you get are relevent only as a snapshot in time.

The two services in question undoubtedly face tremendous pressure to compete in the marketplace. We need to do our part to reward them when they do things right, and to provide sincere and constructive feedback when you find something in which they can improve.

We need to encourage them always to improve and to remind them that it is we who are the customers.

Over the years, I've seen these two services change in various ways that affect how I perceive them in the multitude of specific aspects by which we "grade" these services.

I have my preferred service for personal reasons. However, I've made it perfectly clear to the folks that be that I do not drink Kool-Aid of any flavor and will not hesitate to urge my preferred service never to rest on its laurels.

Regards,

EVP

It's the coke versus pepsi arguement. The one big difference in the two companies is the level of management expertise. NGC understands how to run a company, PCGS doesn't.

"It's the coke versus pepsi arguement. The one big difference in the two companies is the level of management expertise. NGC understands how to run a company, PCGS doesn't."

And, of course, PC*S doesn't grade with any semblance of consistency. It is sort of like the coke pepsi thing, except one company gives you soda and the other gives you milk. You don't get what you pay for at PC*S.

1. I prefer NGC's holders. While I try to buy the coin and not the holder, silver dollars just look better to me against the white background. So two equal coins, one in a PCGS holder and one in a NGC holder, will always result in a decision to buy the NGC coin.

2. Customer service is outstanding. I don't submit many coins, but when I do I know that I can get professional help when I need it.

3. NGC is a true independent coin grading company. Unlike some of its competitors there is no real or perceived benefit to NGC to favor any submitter or series.

coinman1794, consistency in grading is one thing I consider in management expertise, so we don't disagree. There are terrific coins in both holders, as well as some that are overgraded. Most of my slab coins are in NGC holders for the very reason you stated, consistency. On the other hand I feel more comfortable with the grades I see on IHC's graded by PCGS. Having said that I buy the coin, not the holder and I have some terrific cents in NGC slabs also. Whether you or I prefer one company over the other doesn't change the fact that most of the nicest IHC's I have seen are in PCGS slabs.

I buy three or four coins in a year and haven't submitted a coin for grading in two years. Most of my thoughts in this matter have

been already expressed by other posters. I don't demand much from anyone per se.

The one time I had a special request to make of PCGS re a submission, they stepped up to the plate and did their job (no I didn't

get the result I wanted, but they did what they promised to do). When I had a problem with a bid re a Coin Universe Co. auction,

they complied with my request and fixed it. Whenever I have had a question with customer service over there, it was answered.

My main gripe with them is that they never spelled out their copper guarantee when I had specific questions about it.

I haven't had many dealings with NGC & related entities, other than buying some coins. Can individuals now submit directly to

them? I liked the fact that they gave me some non-PVC flips at one show, and a pop report at another show as a professional

courtesy. A higher up over there (forget his name) did give me 15 minutes of his time on the phone about 3 years ago. However,

the one time I called NCS, the person on the other end of the line was downright hostile when I asked questions about the

service (hopefully this has changed).

I am pretty much neutral. I primarily care about the coins. I haven't had enough interaction with personnel at either service to

favor customer service at one or the other.

In terms of coin series, based on the coins I have seen, I prefer PCGS re Unc. minor coinage. Re everything else, I need to see

the particular coin. That being said, the second most expensive coin I own is in an NGC holder (a Reeded Edge Half).

Howdy Elcontador, I'm delighted you managed to find this place. smile.gif Anyone can submit to NGC via several avenues. If you are a member of the ANA you can submit directly to NGC, if you go to Amazon they have a form you can fill out to submit to NGC and if you go to ebay they also have a link to bring you to an NGC submission form. I assume, although do not know, that they have some sort of collectors club here, also. As for becoming a direct submitter to NGC and not using those submission forms, I am a direct submitter to NGC and I am a truly small time submitter. It was no problem at all the get authorized and cost nothing.

I agree with the holder. I think CC gold pieces look much nicer in NGC holders with a white backdrop rather than the hard see through PCGS plastic.

Oh yeah, and when you get a submission back, like I did today, there are no fingerprints on the coins, or mucous in the holder! blush.giflaugh.gifshocked.gifgrin.gifooo.giftongue.gif

NGC does die variety attributions like Sheldon, Overton and Newcomb numbers well. PCGS can't even get the Red Book varieties right. Of all the services, PCGS is near the bottom when it comes to variety attributions.