• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainbow Toned Peace & Forum Members Meeting

16 posts in this topic

Tonight was a good night. Went to a meeting of forum members and had a great time. Got to see CoinLes (MrLee), satootoko, strat, shirohniichan, clw54, ToningintheBlood, nuckelhead, MizzJenn, JJacks, Jom, Kirk the lurker, and others I can't recall right this second, all at JamminJ's humble little mansion. A great time getting together and talking coins as well as getting to know a little of the person behind the name. And of course there was a great display of coins ranging from foreign to toned gold. A nice little 8-hour get together.

Anyway, while it wasn't a business get together, that doesn't mean you can't pry a coin out of a fellow collectors collection if you like it. laugh.gif In my case it was a nice 1924 Peace dollar with rainbow toning on both sides.

1924rainbowpeace-small.jpg

The above picture, which is a little small, doesn't show all the colors. The higher the resolution the better the display of color, but I didn't want to "insert" a half meg picture, so if you want a better picture, pick a link below that won't choke your modem. laugh.gif

Medium Resolution Pic (124K)

High Resolution Pic (274K)

Max Resolution Pic (533K)

The obverse has light pastel colors that aren't as pronounced as the image shows. A nice light blue with faint green undertones and gold ring around the rims with some red mixed in. The center is semi-white. In the picture around the BER of Liberty, that color screams AT, but in reality that color is not accurate. It is a nice red and purple with some orange and doesn't look AT at all.

The reverse is great. A rainbow of gold, sea green, light blue, orange/reddish gold, with a semi-white center.

It was an enjoyable day, well worth the drive from San Diego. Great food, great company, and great coins.

Yeah, sounds fun! I am jealous of you folk, seems like any of us up in the Pac NW just like to sit home avoiding the rain. frown.gif

There is a heavy concentration in the LA/San Diego area, which makes it fun going to coin shows. There's always a few members at the monthly Anaheim show, and a lot of members at Long Beach. It's a bit of a drive for the San Diegans, but nothing too bad.

It was a lot of fun for me and it seems all the attendees agree. Saw some awesome coins.

I must give a lot of credit to MrLee, he suggested the idea, handled all the invitations and bought the six foot hero. I merely supplied the loaction and some of the food. I think we'll do it again!

-JamminJ

There you have it. James wants another party. I think we'll have too. So many collections I couldn't look at all of them. Gregs toned commemoratives were outstanding and John Ruiz's Toned Washingtons were fabulous. Shiro brought his Chop-marked Trade Dollars and Satootoko searched my Darkside and found a Japanese 1876 2 Zen. It was a great turnout, a great time and I'm really glad all of you were able to make it. Thanks to everyone for being there and I hope to do it again too.

A Special Thanks to JamminJ and his beautiful wife. This whole thing would have been impossible without them.

There you have it. James wants another party. I think we'll have too.

Well OK, if James wants it, then he gets it. laugh.gif

Let me know next time and what I can do/bring to help out.

How about sometime towards the end of June? Perhaps a BBQ this time.

Biggest complaint was the poor lighting, so anyone bringing good lights to grade by will be a local hero!

-JamminJ

A June BBQ would be good. Let me know in advance and I'll be happy to bring anything.

The lighting wasn't ideal for coins, but thankfully most were slabbed and I could read the insert grade. smirk.gif

How about sometime towards the end of June? Perhaps a BBQ this time.
Sounds like I'm going to be cooking shocked.gif Who's got the Lights or what kind do we need?