• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do forum posts every cause you to buy a new coin?

21 posts in this topic

Occasionally, someone will put up a pic or post a thread about a coin I hadn't considered adding to my collection that is so compelling that I feel the tug to go purchase one. Do any of you ever "discover" new collecting interests as a result of someone's posts?

Michael, I'd hate to think how much money you've caused readers to spend. wink.gif

Don,

It has not happened to me yet. I will say though that I have always liked bust half’s and after seeing a number of the bust half’s that Jeff (jtryka) has posted I am thinking of buying one if I find one I like.

John

It's happened to me, though it hasn't really caused me to start collecting in an area. One incident I recall from last year, there were a few threads in the PCGS forum on Mexican Libertads and it sparked enough interest that I actually bought a few, including a really nice proof one.

don a great thread!!!!!!!!!!

and for me it is always a great to see unusual handpicked coins that others have found in their hunts and with their expertise

for me it sharpens my knowledge

and always makes you aware that great coins are always around the corner waiting to be found!

sincerely michael

one of the better threads on here!

Some of the pics, maybe all of them, got me interested in different coins and I bought a few that way. Not as many as I wanted. For instance, that purple Lincoln sure looks nice.

Yes it happened to me big time. Someone posted pics of some outrageously toned proof mercs from the last Goldberg auction. I had to have them so I went to the goldberg auctions in beverly hills and bought them all. There now listed in the proof merc registry as the #1 set.

Nick, those proof mercs are beautiful coins, congratulations.

I don't know that posts have lead me to buy a certain coin, I will say that by reading some of the posts my interests have expanded a bit. To me seeing the interest on the boards in the coins I collect has reinforced my decision to continue to collect them.

Damn that Sunnywood! He caused me to start considering shield nickels. blush.gif But so far, all I've bought has been a single raw coin and I've decided to search for raw coins as a deterrent to going hog wild!

RWW's interest in Jeffs has made me competatively interested in the series wink.gif.

Fairlaneman has me looking for superbly toned winged Libs everywhere I go and onlyRoosies and RWW have me looking for similar coins in the Roosevelt series.

That Damn Carl Wolforth has me looking at early CAM Jeffs and that no good TomB has me looking at Washington quarters with heavily toned surfaces! laugh.gif

The insideously evil RotatedRainbows has me looking at Morgans and Peace dollars with great toning, while the genuinely evil Greg has me considering every blinking classic commem there is.

And that awful EVP and rotten-to-the-core TDN have me looking at all kinds of bust material (even cents!) and wondering what variety it is!!! mad.gif

I haven't bought a 3 cent piece yet, or a Saint, but I'll blame Michael and Jeff (respectively) when I do. ooo.gifooo.gifooo.gif

All-in-all, I feel entirely uninfluenced by the whims of other collectors.

laugh.gif

crazy.gif

wink.gif

grin.gif

Hoot

I am not a foreign collector...but some guy "across the street" put up a coin that appealed to me as a Walker collector....a "French walker". Next thing you know, I'm looking for them....

27920.jpg

As a matter of fact, they do! After seeing some posts/pictures of Seated Dimes I decided to buy one, and possibly start a set! I have about 19 hours left on eBay for an 1877-CC Seated Dime in AU condition! (guessing from the pictures)

Johnny,

I've always liked that rendition of Marianne. It's one of the few things French that I currently don't despise! Unfortunately, it would have to be their "national" emblem!

EVP