• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's on your Christmas List

16 posts in this topic

My wife just asked me what coin-related thing I would like for Christmas. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I hadn't really given it much thought...now I need to. In the past, her attempts at buying something for my collection, haven't panned out all that well 893whatthe.gif, so I try to steer her toward something about coins instead of an addition to the collection itself.

So, the question is, what is on your list for Christmas 2005?

In the past, her attempts at buying something for my collection, haven't panned out all that well 893whatthe.gif ,

Do tell,this may be interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm still trying to find the rest of the dates I need for my Capped Bust half dime set in AU-55 to 58. I have most of the dates but a few are in XF so I'd like to upgrade:

I have a sweet 1836 but if I can find one with attractive toning in AU-58 I'd probably switch.

-Hayden

In the past, her attempts at buying something for my collection, haven't panned out all that well 893whatthe.gif ,

Do tell,this may be interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

probably a stroke after hearing gift and Coin Vault in the same sentence rofl.gif

RWW , since you're asking, you can put me on your list for a 1,000 lb. bag of hundred-dollar bills. They don't have to have consecutive serial #'s; they don't even have to be in good condition. I'll take whatever is available.

Happy holidays!

Chris hi.gif

RWW , since you're asking, you can put me on your list for a 1,000 lb. bag of hundred-dollar bills. They don't have to have consecutive serial #'s; they don't even have to be in good condition. I'll take whatever is available.

Happy holidays!

Chris hi.gif

Always the wise guy tongue.gif

Actually you can get shredded currency from the BEP,maybe they would do a special 1,000 lb. bag of $100s just for you 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hayden

i need to raise some money to pay for the two orphan children i am supporting with job training medical and room and board

so my christmas wish list is to sell coins for the orphan kids and solicit donations

hopefully to get some help for these kids

one is finally graduated he is 18 and will be starting an internship job dec 2 the other hopefully by march

still some bills to pay to get housing for the 18 year old in nigeria and and some medical expenses for the child in philippines and one more i need to help in saigon

then i am done

Sometimes my wife has come through with some very nice stuff - like a very large desk lighted mount magnifying glass on a swing arm that really helps to view a coin in great deal. Other times...actually, when she first started buying things for my collection...it was an odd assortment of coins from an Ebay auction that was largely a bunch of cleaned or modern junk. So, she now knows to stay away from actually buying a coin.

From a coin perspective I'm looking to add a nice Gettysburg commem to my collection. From a coin-related perspective I just need a bunch of supplies - poly bags, dip blush.gif and stuff like that grin.gif

There are several folks on this board and across the street who seem to do a very credible job at this. You might want to start by considering one of them (Carl Wohlforth, Russ, Jeremy, and others) to start. Other than Carl, I haven't dealt with them myself but have read a number of glowing recommendations...

Christmas list for other people to buy me? Nothing coin related. It's too hard to tell others what I want as sometimes I don't even know.

However, this morning I did just win two coins on eBay that I've wanted for a long time and I also picked as wanting on the Last Years Christmas List.

They are both from the Swiss Canton of Beromuenster dated 1720. They were struck to commemorate the 1000th Anniversary of the founding of the abbey by the Count of Lenzburg, Bero. They depict St. Michael slaying the dragon.

1720-km4.jpg

Listed in Krause (KM-4) as "Rare" with a price, but this one doesn't appear on the market frequently at all. Much less frequently than the following one that is unpriced.

1720-km3.jpg

Very similar to KM-3, but supposedly a 1/2 Taler as KM-5 lacking the edge design - not unheard of as the striking quality of these coins (medals) wasn't the greatest. It is unpriced in Krause, just listed as "Rare", but it appears to be the one that is most frequently for sale. Different mintmasters initials on it, so likely struck later than 1720 in order to be presented as awards and gifts to honored recipients.

I was hoping no one would notice these as they were really cheap as of last night, but in the last 2 minutes, they went up about 4x in price. frown.gif