• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats your best circ. find?

13 posts in this topic

I have just started getting a 100$ box {box of 50 rolls} of nickels about 2 months ago, And I have found just about a full set from 38 to 03 , with just a few keys missing. Like the 1950d , but I have found the 50p. Just the other day I was searching and a coin looked to stand outlike a bright light, It was a 1904 liberty head nickel in about g-4 . Not a really exspensive coin{only $1.25} But a liberty head! I thought I would find a buffalo before I would find a lib! The best find I think I made was a 1961 d over s {omm} mintmark in AU-55 and a couple war nickels in au also! What was your earliest and\or best find from circulation?

That's pretty cool. I have been collecting since the early '70s and yet the best thing that I ever found was a 1902 IHC in perfect, chocolate brown VF. Nice coin. Not worth much but still nice. I was also able to pick up a HAWAII overprint note once out of change. It was pretty ratty but also very cool.

Besides the usual wheat cents, I've gotten silver now and again. I got one of those black V nickels. I got a 50-D 5¢ a long while ago. Sometimes will get a war nickel. I got an XF/AU Buffalo out of a slot machine earlier this year. I sometimes get dateless Buffalos. Lots of 40% silver Kennedys.

I wish I could report something great, but it doesn't seem to be too much out there.

I've found loads of nickels, I usually save the pre-1960 ones, most of my set was from circulation with the exception of the 50-D I think, and maybe the 39-D & S (or whichever the keys are from the earlier dates. Never have found a Buff or Lib, nor any IHCs. I have found a lot of Lincolns from the early teens though. Lots of old $2 bills and silver certs, as well as some of the older fed notes (I think a series 1928 $20 was the oldest). By far the most I've found has been searching through rolls of halves, where I have literally found rolls of Franklins, 64 Kennedys and 40% Kennedys. That's been the most fun! Unfortunately, it seems there are areas where there is a lot to be found (like Jersey City and Portland, OR) but where I live now, there is not much worth finding, only a few 40% Kennedys.

Depends how you define best. If by best you mean highest dollar value adjusted for inflation: That would be a 1950-D nickel found in 1964 and sold the same day for $20.

If you mean highest price realized; A (1969?) dime struck by a capped die out of the collar which was sold for $30 in 1970.

Most valuable; A 71-D or 72-D DDR quarter which was used to purchace a can of pop in 1972. This would be worth at least a couple hundred dollars now.

Most valuable that is still owned; An ultra high grade 83-P quarter.

Likely to be most valuable if sold when planned: '82-P quarter in very high grade.

Rarest: A 1977 type "d" reverse quarter found in about 1982 in AU. This coin may not exist in unc and very few exist above VF.

Favorite: A 1974 reverse of 1973. This is a subtle variety that will probably never get popular. (Probably not even identifiable in the grades that these coins are now found in.)

There are many others which could head a list, but stuck with ones that have, had, or likely will have some value.

cladking - when are you going to write a book? cool.gif

I recently (last week) found a circulated (~XF) 1950-D Jefferson in a coin shop in Fair Oaks CA! I was exceptionally pleased to add that to my circ. album collection!

Hoot

Several years ago I got a 1910-S Lincoln that had barely been circulated. Still had the full mint red on it. Unfortunately I didn't know much about coins back then and glued it to something to display it. frown.gif

My earliest find from circulation... That one I know well. Happened twice, 1938 and 1938D jeffersons. I'd also have to say they're up there in the best finds I've had. I haven't been searching for too long so I don't find the really classic stuff. But I've also pulled out a 1939D jeff, several silver JFks, and 40s/50s lincoln cents without really going through rolls. When it comes to rolls, only found a few wheats and 40% silvers and the occassional 40s non-silver nickel.

One of the neatest I found, though, I just remembered is a really obvious die clashed dime. Not worth much, but was neat. Goes well with my 200 dime where grease filled the last 0.

I just got a new box of nickels on thursday, and when I opened the box there was another liberty v nickle staring right at me! {open ended rolls} It was a 1912 d in fine-12 , I was hoping that it was a s nickle but still it is worth about $10.00. Keep on searching!

I've found two good ones that I'll note here. The first was a 1911-D Lincoln Cent that I found in my Aunt's spare change box back in the 1960's.

It's a beautiful brown and has such minor rub that I'll call it AU-58.

The second is also a Lincoln. I pulled it out of change in my pocket about 5 years ago. It is a 1971 DDO. I don't know the Fivas/Stanton Number right now, but it's in the book. It's RB and grades AU-50. That's about a $75.00 profit.

10 very nice crisp $1 silver certificates( 3 were star) in with some ones from the bank.

A V-6 1922 plain Lincoln Cent (sadly just a Die-3).