• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC to place toned reverse to the front

9 posts in this topic

RWW,

It is true, subject to a few conditions. The final decision was made on it earlier today. This is in response to customer requests. Official announcement with all of the details is forthcoming. Incredible how quickly word travels!

John

Thanks NGC. I honestly can't think of anything left on our list of "things we'de like to see NGC change".

You not only listen, but you respond.

• Administrator

It's true...

Effective immediately, NGC will honor requests to put the attractively toned side of a coin face up in the holder. Coins should be submitted on separate submission forms from coins not requiring the service. Also, the submission form must be clearly marked, "REVERSE UP".

Owners of NGC-certified coins who wish to have their coins reholdered with the reverse up, may submit such coins in their holders for our Reholder service at $4 per coin. Remember, your form must be clearly marked, "REVERSE UP".

Special Note: Requests to holder a coin reverse side up will be honored at NGC's discretion.

I honestly can't think of anything left on our list of "things we'de like to see NGC change".

How about a nice black slab for those that like the look of their gold coins surrounded by black?

BTW, if NGC keeps this up, we're not going to have anything to complain about. smirk.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Black cores were used during the first few months of operation, but our customers were overwhelmingly in favor of the white cores. This still seems to be the case.

There is no doubt that some coins would look nice in a black insert, but I think a black insert would clash with most coin types, such as copper coins, richly toned MS silver coins, and circulated silver coins, for instance. In other words, a white insert seems to be at least OK all the way around, whereas a black insert is only good with some coins. Imagine a deep burgundy/lilac colored 1956 Franklin in MS66 or MS67 with thick, swirling luster in a black slab insert. That would not look very nice to me. frown.gif It just doesn't work with all coins.

Some might suggest that NGC begin using more than one insert type; perhaps with black for some coins and white for others. laugh.gif But, there seem to be a couple problems with this proposition. frown.gif First of all, NGC has shared it's concern with adding extra steps to the slabbing process, and a proposal such as this would certainly do just that. Furthermore, NGC, and many of it's customers, is very concerned that NGC's slab maintains a standard, dependable appearance. I also share this opinion.