• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC--Please Seriously Consider Black Holder Inserts

24 posts in this topic

I know this has been the topic of discussion before, but I really wish that NGC would offer the option of a black background in their holders. I for one would pay extra for this.

I just received two ICG coins that have a black insert. There is a blast white coin in each and they just make the coins stand out in an incredible way. I would love to have this option with NGC, and if it is something that is still on the table I think you should seriously consider it.

Toned coins--love the white. Silver coins with great luster--would rather have black. I don't know this for fact, but have heard that gold looks great against a black background also.

Just wanted to put it back out on the table. If it's been discussed to death, and I missed it, my apologies.

Carl

Hi John--

Thanks, guess I'm a little rusty with the forum over here. If the Arch can, and wants to move this thread that would be fine with me.

Other than that, I just want to put the idea in their heads again, if there is even a chance they are considering it.

Carl

Carl,

I remember reading a thread about this awhile back where a couple of other people were asking NGC to bring back the black inserts. If I remember correctly NGC said they had no plans to bring the black inserts back at that time.

John

I don't know this for fact, but have heard that gold looks great against a black background also.

I think you are right, and perhaps this will confirm it: 1873 $20 and 1901-S $10

There are exceptions though, in my opinion, lustrous gold looks great in black, but duller, circulated gold (like many early coins or better date coins) look better in white. An option would be nice though.

Hi Jeff,

I agree with you guys, bright gold and silver look great against a black background, but if the coin is not bright or is toned I think it looks better with a white background.

BTW the reason I prefer the NGC holder to the PCGS holder is because of the white insert. I think a coin looks richer in an NGC holder whereas with the PCGS holder it just looks like a coin in a piece of plastic.

John

I would not mind the option, but from NGC's point of view they may not want to have two different holders for consistency purposes. Companies spend a lot of time and money on brand recognition and I think that at this point the white insert is part of the NGC brand.

John

Please DON"T got to black inserts, unless it is made an option! Even so I think that black might make the coins harder to sell. I've used Eagle holders for my uncertified coins, and white looks much better. Ditto for Capital Plastic holders.

Generic question:

Considering that it would require mold changes, and inventory changes, would you be willing to pay a premium for a different color insert rather than accept the standard? Perhaps if the community said they would pay an extra $1 for a different color insert, it would create a business benefit for NGC to take the expenses needed to meet the demand.

Neil

Nice collection Don! I agree that black holders would be a nice option, and I would use it. My thinking though, is that it may be cost prohibitive for NGC to make an inventory of black core holders for EVERY type of coin. If it becomes an option for us, I think it would probably be somewhat expensive unless it took off to the point that the cost/benefit ratio for NGC would be more in line.

I'd love to see most of my coins in black core holders.

Andy laugh.gif

Hi--

there are a number of us collectors who have continued to ask for the return of the black insert. You are welcome to go to the "new" PERMANENT POLL section, and vote your opinion. Please do!!!

Yes, each coin series could have a color holder, ie: kennedies are blue, ikes are red, sacs are pink, statehoods are yellow. Add five bucks to the price and watch this take off.

TRUTH

Clank you for your post.

Having the option of more than one holder style would be great. I for one wish the ANA would choose and mandate a "universal holder style" and then get both NGC & PCGS to offer this style as an option. That way, coins graded by either company could go into matching holders and still make a matched set. (Of course, I do realize that in reality the ANA has no authority to do this whatsoever.) It could be fairly simple to be able to check a box on the submission form and thereby choose any one of many different holder styles. I don't think it would be that onerous for NGC to implement .... a few extra different inventory items; big deal.

Sunnywood

Ah, but the option to choose... what a nice thing it would be.

I'm with you 100% on this one Clank. My really lustrous raw Morgans look real nice in a black air-tite...my circ and toned ones look much nicer in a white background.

Regardless of what our preferences might be for the color of the cores, if an option were to be given, I imagine it would seriously impact NGC's speed and efficiency in processing submissions. You might have to pay a higher price AND settle for much slower turn around times. Just something to consider.

By the way, gold coins look great in the black cores!

That is a good point, Mark. But I will still say, that if the option were given to me, and I was told I could have my coins holdered with the black core--but it would cost me extra, and even take a little longer to return the submission to me--I would still choose to do it in many instances.

Now if my wanting this service caused slow downs in service and increased costs for everyone across the boards, then no, I would not push for it.

Carl

One last thought on this. From the perspective of the end user, I'm looking for a way to present the coin to maximum effect. Collectors have always been picky and expended a lot of energy not only selecting their coins, but also choosing how to display them. These holders could end up being the homes for these coins for quite a long while.

I've got time to wait a little longer for the submission. And I don't mind paying a little extra.

I know for the pros out there, that's a luxury they may not have. But for me, lil ol' the-buck-stops-here collector... I can wait.

Carl

Maybe there is a chance to be innovative here. Cell phones, like regular phones used to be in a preset color. Manufactured that way. The someone thought of custom snap on colors that caused a whole new market to pop up. Perhaps NGC, or another company, can be innovative here and design a slab with a snap on color that goes on the outside of the slab. That way you can choose whatever color, it won't impact the grading or sealing, and you can change the color later if you get tired of it.

Neil

Could NGC be against this for another reason?

PCG$ has changed slabs several times. Some of those changes have resulted in a totally different looking slab. For the most part, the NGC slab has remained the same looking for quite a long time.

In the marketplace, PCG$ currently has a reputation of grading all over the map. NGC currently has a reputation of grading consistently.

Could the resistance to change of the holder be in part to the perception that the change of the holder occurs with a change in grading standards?