• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I gambled and lost on an NTC slab...

10 posts in this topic

I bought a coin from an auction in an NTC holder that I thought I could at least break even on. It was graded MS66 by NTC (what a joke), and I thought I might get it to cross at NGC in 65 or worst case 64 (I paid less than 64 money for it). It came back "no grade" for improper cleaning. Live and learn.... blush.gif

What should I do with it?

a) Crack it out and resubmit

b) Throw it in the trash

c) Crack it out, dip it, and then resubmit (no hairlines, just looks like a bad previous dip)

I won't sell it on the market as is and pass on the problem to someone else, and the return privilege has passed so that's not an option.... confused.gif

What is the coin and what is it "worth" in the MS63-65 area?

Likely the "improper cleaning" has left the coin with some tell-tale signs that NCS cannot take care of. If it is, then crack it and sell it raw or send it to NCS for grading if you want it in a slab.

Personally, you've probably invested too much money in it and your best bet would be to just dump it and cut your losses.

why not crack is and put it in an album/folder and start a new set of coins? I have a type 1 SLQ that was cleaned, and eventually I will just start that series of coins and put it in a whitman folder.

I would just pop it out and resell the coin. I doubt dipping the coin would help. It prob. has been overdipprd anyway...

I just did what jtryka suggested. I had an ANACS 1919 AU50 details (net SF45) lightly cleaned Standing Liberty quarter I thought of posting on eBay but decided to just crack it out and place it in a Dansco type set I'm building.

Nothing more satisfying then the sound of plastic cracking and coins poping out (as long as they don't bounce against the concrete garage floor).

What is the coin and what is it "worth" in the MS63-65 area?

Likely the "improper cleaning" has left the coin with some tell-tale signs that NCS cannot take care of. If it is, then crack it and sell it raw or send it to NCS for grading if you want it in a slab.

Personally, you've probably invested too much money in it and your best bet would be to just dump it and cut your losses.

It's a '22 S Peace $, and the value is $50 in MS63, $150 in MS64, and $1500 in MS65. I haven't got that much in the coin, but if by some chance I could get it in a MS65 NGC holder I'm willing to spend some more efffort on it. Technically, it has few enough marks and a good enough strike, IMO, to make 65.

why not crack is and put it in an album/folder and start a new set of coins? I have a type 1 SLQ that was cleaned, and eventually I will just start that series of coins and put it in a whitman folder.

It's a great idea, but I've already got a raw AU/BU set in a Dansco album in addition to my 2 certified sets so it's a duplicate at this point. It's OK as far as visual appeal goes, but it's not a knock-your-socks-off highly lustrous coin so it's not one I care to keep.