• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The VAST Waste Land

17 posts in this topic

Moving up in the registry rankings can be daunting task. Currently my type set is #5 with a total of 66,693 points. Collection #4 by Gregg Bingham has 101,039, which is 34,346 point ahead of me. Reached the coveted # 3 position is 52,236 points away.

This is rather like traveling in our solar system. Although you might mover up from Uranus to Saturn, the number 3 planet, earth, is still many millions of miles away. And getting any higher than #3 would require me to buy a warp drive because those collections are in the next galaxy.

Each of these incremental rankings represent huge hurdle that I have come to label "the vast waste land." I do have some additional supplies in the pipeline (coins that are out being graded), but surpassing those who are ahead of me will be quite difficult.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

laugh.gif

Well, I could sell you my Norweb 1838-O proof half, but you'd only be one point closer! wink.gif

I know that you collect for yourself and not for the points, but nonetheless it certainly IS fun to see where you stand, isn't it?!?!

Well, I could sell you my Norweb 1838-O proof half, but you'd only be one point closer wink.gif

That's not fair. I think you should get the same 3 points everyone else gets for registering a coin in a "non-collectible" grade. wink.gif

I know exactly what you are thinking, Bill. Both you and I buy type coins that we like and in grades that we find attractive. This is done without consulting the Registry table for values. In that respect the points become a fun diversion, which is exactly what the Registry should be to the enormous number of folks who cannot hope to be among the top dogs because of finances. Unfortunately, I believe many people forget this. The way you list your coins is also nice since you include some information about each issue and often have pictures. Do you use your 1805 dime as your avitar?

My set is also traveling through the cosmos, albeit more like through an asteroid belt since there are a number of sets bunched up around one another in my neighborhood. Like you, if I were to list all my eligible coins immediately I would jump from the current 16th position to the 6th position. However, as I wrote in another thread, I like listing them one coin per week.

Yes! Traveling closer to the sun is a duanting task! I am amid the flotsam of the solar system. Every time I nudge a little closer to the center, a similarly traveling cosmonaut whisks past me! shocked.giflaugh.gif That's why Ive come to simply enjoy the view from the outer limits of my registry ranking. I clad my travels with what I like and make the ride comfortable. I will never be in first place, even if that's what the registry says. It's good to know that humility is a good travel partner in these endeavors.

Hoot

Yes, TomB, my 1805 dime is my avitar. It was the first high quality early coin that I purchased. I've owned it for about 30 years.

My registry prospects are limited because I'm going to purchase or get coins slabbed that don't need it. No slabbed Sackies for me or any other coin that has no need to be certified! Also most of my 19th century type material is in AU or EF, which is not really suitable for slabbing. Over time as I upgrade more pieces they will get in, but I'm not spending money on that for no reason.

I've also found a couple of my copper coins, which are condition census pieces according to EAC collectors, ended up in body bags. Some these slab graders don't know what they are doing, or at least they don't early copper, that's for sure.

Hey Bill, I think your last statement is true on both levels to different degrees-

I've also found a couple of my copper coins, which are condition census pieces according to EAC collectors, ended up in body bags. Some these slab graders don't know what they are doing, or at least they don't early copper, that's for sure.

There are many coins that I will not go out and get anytime soon because I have no interest in them at the moment. These include nearly all the modern, clad pieces. This is not a slap against anyone buying modern coinage if they like it, it's just a part of a complete type set that I do not like. However, by definition, they are in the set and I do not argue that point.

Your 1805 dime is truly beautiful and extremely scarce to find with such eye appeal. I realize that you already know this but I am writing to let people who only look at bid sheets know that these coins are much tougher than the bid sheets would suggest. Good luck on the set! smile.gif

There are many coins that I will not go out and get anytime soon because I have no interest in them at the moment. These include nearly all the modern, clad pieces. This is not a slap against anyone buying modern coinage if they like it, it's just a part of a complete type set that I do not like. However, by definition, they are in the set and I do not argue that point.

Tom,

I had a nice high grade Type set across the way that consisted completely of those nasty wink.gif modern coins. When I sold off those high grade pieces, I went back and tried to replace them with coins that had a little more character. It's taken me longer to replace them, but it adds some fun to it. Latest addition was a Lincoln cent from my birth year with nice cool rim toning. There are some of the designs I don't like in that area as well, but it does spice it up a little.

Like you, I am not on the top of the Registry listing on most of my sets. I did have one Type Set that was number one for quite a while, but that too is history now. I do get upset at the scoring of some sets like the Franklin Half Dollars, because they are so spread.

I will not pay $2000 for a MS70 Ike or Kennedy. Therefore, that places me collecting older, more classical coins in the best grades that I can afford. I think that I am a tough competitor, as stated by some that have competed against me on some sets, but I will never have the number one Peace Dollar, Half Eagle-Short Set (this set is currently first, but will not last) or St. Gauden's sets. It just is not in the cards.

That is ok though. I have the best coins that I could afford at the time and I can always upgrade, and frequently do on some series, if I wish to be more competitive.

OT3

I hear you, Keith, regarding trying to find quality modern coins. It's much tougher to find those pieces than many people will ever realize. If I found a piece that "spoke" to me then I would not hesitate to buy it, however, I have not crossed paths with such a coin.

There is so much in the complete type set that I do not own and so many classic type coins that I find truly beautiful that there seems to never be a shortage of potential purchases. I don't buy to fill the set; I buy for my collection and then see what can go into the set.

Unquestionably, I will be buying some modern coinage as there actually are a few pieces that I like.

I mostly like the very modern coins as Proofs. I buy a number of Proof sets for the business every year and go through them all to find the best set for my collection. I have no desire to get these coins slabbed because I much prefer the mint packaging.

I feel the same way about the modern commemoratives. I can be somewhat of gold bug, but I only like better quality pieces (Choice AU or better for early gold, MS-64 for the most common pieces). The modern commemoratives allow me to feed my gold sweet tooth for farily short money. Still I think that these coins lose their character when they are slabbed. Given the choice I'd take a modern gold commemorative coin in the original packaging over one in an PR-70 hoder. The Proof-70 is worth more to others, but not to me.

Does anyone else here question the validity of the collections of those who have high registry scores, but at the same time post no pictures or even a SINGLE note or description? I know that it’s not Politically Correct to pose this question, but I’m not a PC guy. It looks like there might be something fishy going on with some these submissions.

I can understand the lack of pictures to a point. It cost me over a $1,000 for a camera, software, instruction and installation to get to the point where I can post the pictures that I have uploaded here. Still if you are a REAL collector I would think that you would have a few words about the coin or its history to post with it.

I’m going to be impolite enough to say that a crack-out dealer could make a nice side business out of selling old slab inserts. The grading services have no idea that the coins came from old slabs so there would be no way to know that a record should be removed. At the same time the slab insert buyer would have no need to comment about the coin because if you are doing this chances are you don’t care about the coin anyway. YOU are one of the KOOL AID collectors, (i.e. I am stupid etc.).

I’d really like to know if PCGS or NGC runs into the “double counting” very often on registry submissions, and if they do, what do they do about it.

Bill Jones

I think not many people have enough time/knowledge to upload pictures.

I can hardly believe there are people who built virtual set by stealing cert#

We join registrey for fun.......it won't be fun to register such pathetic set.

But it would be nice if I could see pictures of some of those great sets....893blahblah.gif

Bill both NGC and PCGS send out Emails when a coin shows up more than once. I have had it happen both ways. Once with a coin I sold and forgot to delete and also with coins that have been bought and the collector forgot to delete. Usually it just takes a confirmation from the seller that the coin is no longer in thier possession.

For the folks that might be using Inserts, well I guess once a cheater always a cheater. Sad situation if this is really going on in a enviroment such as the Registry. I guess I just do not understand what there is to gain by using inserts of coins you actually do not own. Ego ? Name up in Lights ?

Final thought. If anyone should question my coins just Email or Post on these boards. I would be glad, to a certain extent, to post a picture of the coin in the slab.

For a Fee that is. grin.gif

Ken

Bill -

It is most definitely my intention to post photos and comments about the coins I have in my sets. My biggest problem is time, or actually the lack of it. I did finally purchase a camera I like and have used it to image coins for several auctions but that's about as far as its gone - largely due to the amount of time I have to travel for work. When I get home there's always many things that need my attention...including my family.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do know for me that time is an all too rare commodity - especially as summer nears - and posting images of my coins is something I will be doing, its just something that will have to happen in due time. After reading the descriptions that have been written by SunnyWood, Hoot, and others I aspire to do more than a half-hearted effort. That is my goal in the fullness of time...and we all need to have goals.

Hey Bill, congratulations on cracking 100,000 points and overtaking the fourth place set! grin.gif I realize that there is another vast waste land sitting in front of you and also realize that many of your coins are not slabbed, but, you have to be happy about the progress you are making.

Also, thanks for putting great pictures and write ups in your coin entries, they make the Registry much more enjoyable! grin.gif