• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Second NGC Submissions!!!

13 posts in this topic

Ok, I had a few coins I've been meaning to cross, mainly so I can add them to my sets on the registry, so here they are!

Submission #2 (All Crossovers-Specialty Gold Tier):

1851-O Gold Dollar (ICG AU-58) Obverse

1851-O Gold Dollar Reverse

1899 $2.50 (ICG MS-61) Obverse

1899 $2.50 Reverse

1835 $5 (ICG EF-40) Obverse

1835 $5 Reverse

1860 $20 (ANACS AU-55) Obverse

1860 $20 Reverse

1873 Open 3 $20 (ICG MS-61) Obverse

1873 $20 Reverse

Submission #3 (All Crossovers-Goldrush)

1893-S $5 (ICG MS-62) Obverse

1893-S $5 Reverse

1901-S $10 (ICG MS-62) Obverse

1901-S $10 Reverse

1913 $10 (ICG MS-62) Obverse

1913 $10 Reverse

1916-S $10 (ANACS AU-58) Obverse

1916-S $10 Reverse

1897 $20 (ICG MS-63) Obverse

1897 $20 Reverse

1908 WM $20 (ANACS MS-61) Obverse

1908 WM $20 Reverse

That's all folks! I hope you enjoyed the show!!! As for my expectations, if half of them cross I'd be pretty happy! grin.gif

To be honest, I have not looked at all the images yet. However, I wanted to let you know that I absolutely adore the 1835 half eagle. What a nice coin!

Thanks guys! That 1835 is one of my favorite Classic Head half eagles, I bought it raw, and I think I paid just over $200 for it! shocked.gif

It you're willing, you might want to specify cross at MS60 for those MS61s. It's a very fine line and the value is probably almost the same.

I'd hate to see a coin fail to cross becasuse they thought the current MS61 was only an MS60.

Well, I wasn't sure how to do that on the form, and since they're all packed and ready to mail, I guess I will just live with the result! But next time I will try that suggestion.

• Administrator

jtryka,

If you think that is something you want to do, just send me a pm with your invoice numbers and tell me for which coins you would like to specify a lower minimum grade. I can take care of it for you.

Ok, I got the results from these two today, and they were about as expected, nothing too exciting, but I wasn't crushed with disappointment as I have so often been across the street.

For the first one:

The 1851-O Gold dollar crossed at AU-58 smile.gif

The 1835 $5 actually got a 5 point upgrade to EF-45 grin.gif

The other three apparently did not cross, though there were no reasons listed frown.gif

But that was a 40% crossover rate for this invoice, much better than 27%!

For the second one:

The 1893-S $5 crossed at MS-60 (a 2 point downgrade frown.gif )

The 1901-S $10 crossed at MS-62 smile.gif

The 1913 $10 crossed at MS-60 (a 2 point downgrade frown.gif )

The 1916-S $10 crossed at AU-58 smile.gif

Neither $20 crossed. mad.gif

This was an impressive 67% crossover rate, which is still impressive even with the 2 downgrades.

Overall, even though 5 coins did not cross, I still like those coins, and will enjoy them just as much as I did before. After all, they are still in their old holders so nothing at all has changed!

Hi Jeff, compared to PCGS that is a great crossover rate! but I am very sorry some did not cross. The $20 1873 I am shocked did not cross as the nice original surface easily makes up for the baggy look. Mike

Ok, here's an update, I got the coins back today, and of the five that did not cross, the news was not all bad.

Of the two ANACS coins, the 1908 Motto Saint was not crossed due to wear on the high points, suggesting that it would have crossed at a lower grade (probably in the AU-55 to AU-58 area). The 1860 $20 did not cross due to improper cleaning, which I find a little surprising since it was not net graded by ANACS confused.gif .

Of the three ICG coins that did not cross, the 1899 was due to improper cleaning, and the 1897 $20 due to contact marks, suggesting that it might have crossed a point or two lower (though I have a 1903 with more marks in an NGC holder graded 63, so perhaps I should send that one in for a grade review blush.gif ). The 1873 $20 did not cross due to wear on the high points, so they probably would have graded it AU-58, which makes sense as I believe this coin is an AU-61 myself.