• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1913 Barber Dime
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Another coin from my dad’s collection- 1913 Barber Dime- to me it seems to show great details, maybe very fine? Thought I’d ask some experts- worth certifying or just selling? Thanks for your input :) more photos to come in comments

IMG_4756.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

Your 1913 Barber dime appears to grade Choice Very Fine to Extremely Fine, with a retail value around $15-$30 even if not scratched, so it obviously isn't worth the cost of third-party certification. (The NGC "Economy" tier grading fee alone would be $23 and doesn't include $38 per order in processing and return shipping fees and shipping to NGC.)  I can't tell much else, such as whether it is scratched or "cleaned" from the images provided. The full coin image is far too small, consisting almost entirely of background, and the other images are of a pixilated screen and are too close up. For future reference, please try to provide cropped, clear images of each side of a coin like these:

1910Proofdimeobv..thumb.jpg.0e162da0e141570ace9dcb92f31b154b.jpg

1910Proofdimerev..thumb.jpg.0e1bcb9c57a5df637a92909fc5069bd2.jpg

Aw yes, definitely a scratch on the cheek - thought maybe it was cheek bone details at first but definitely not - bummer! And sorry about the pics- last post someone told me not to do cropped “screen grabs” so I though maybe just not cropping it is what they meant.. and the coin microscope I have from my dad does seem to be pretty pixilated

IMG_4757.jpeg

IMG_4756.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

I think this Barber dime would grade in the XF range. The "scratch" does not seem to be like a gouge where there is metal piled up on the sides of the scratch or gouge which would be damage. If the graders consider that as a hit on the cheek it might still straight grade. I can't tell from the provided pics if this would be a possibility, however, so don't take what I am saying about that feature as law. I also don't have the coin in hand and you do so you might better be able to see if there is metal piled up on the sides of it. Being this is not one of a semi-key or key date, it might only be good as an album coin as I would not be looking to submit any common Barber dime unless it were to be a minimum of a high AU with nice surface and good eye appeal.