• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is one thicker?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2024 at 2:44 PM, Malamute said:

the thicker one is 1878

Based on the thickness, lighter color and reverse design with shield, this coin should be dated from 1860 to 1864, when cents were composed of 88% copper, 12% nickel. The thinner bronze (95% copper, 5% zinc and tin) composition began to be used in the spring of 1864. I note that the thicker coin is apparently holed and otherwise badly damaged. Please provide an image of the other side of the coin.

Edited by Sandon

I have two 1877's, I read they had a low mintage and are considered the rarest of the Indian Heads. They both have about the same wear as the 1891 next to the damaged one and above the black one. Are they worth sending in to be graded? 

On 10/23/2024 at 3:56 PM, Malamute said:

I have two 1877's, I read they had a low mintage and are considered the rarest of the Indian Heads. They both have about the same wear as the 1891 next to the damaged one and above the black one. Are they worth sending in to be graded?

I know 1877's in F (and even F details) go for about $1,000 +/- a couple hundred dollars depending on eye appeal. The thing with submitting these is for authentication purposes. There were many fakes produced of this year IHC and many buyers would want the guarantee of authenticity of it being in a slab before they throw hundreds if not thousands of dollars at one of these cents.