• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with info 1968 s no s dime
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Have a 1968 s no s Roosevelt dime has All kinds of errors trying to get info and help to see if it's the one that's worth a nice amount have a good microscope if it is one worth sending in please help with any knowledge trying to figure out if it is the s no s dime 

17293007650974760092617657493395.jpg

17293007848652917357783180116083.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

In the future, please post clear, cropped images of each full side of a coin about which you have questions and transmit them directly from your computer rather than taking shots of its screen, which are too pixelated to see clearly. In this case, however, I can see enough to answer your questions.

The 1968 "No S" dime about which you have no doubt read about on the internet is a proof issue, struck at the San Francisco mint with a mirrorlike surface and certain other characteristics lacking from your coin that was erroneously made from a die on which the "S" mintmark had been omitted. These coins were included in proof sets sealed in hard plastic holders. Only a few such sets containing the "No S" dime left the mint. Your 1968 dime is undoubtedly one of the over 424 million dimes struck for circulation at the Philadelphia mint without a mintmark, as was normal for dimes and most other coins struck at that mint before 1980. In a circulated grade, as it appears to be, your coin is only worth its face value of ten cents.

Please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer:  Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Contrary to what you may have read on the internet, it is extremely unusual to find any significant mint error, die variety, or other valuable coin in change or in random accumulations of circulating coins.

On 10/18/2024 at 6:19 PM, RAM1012 said:

Have a 1968 s no s Roosevelt dime has All kinds of errors trying to get info and help to see if it's the one that's worth a nice amount have a good microscope if it is one worth sending in please help with any knowledge trying to figure out if it is the s no s dime 

17293007650974760092617657493395.jpg

17293007848652917357783180116083.jpg

We need actual cropped in focus photos of the coin not photos of a screen which are out of focus and badly pixilated.   If you want help then help us by following the guidelines in the first pinned post in the newbie section, in there are the things you need to provide (like good photos).   However, in this case there is enough information to see that you are unaware that the 1968- dime with no S mintmark is a proof coin.  What you have is a well worn regular made for circulation coin that was minted in Philadelphia of which none have a mintmark, value 10 cents.  Before you go searching for something it may be helpful to you to know what your looking for. 

Edited by Coinbuf

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Ditch the high mag!
If this were an actual proof, you would not need mag to see if it had no S on it.

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

HOW NEWBIES MAKE ME OUT TO BE THE BAD GUY, WITHOUT MY REALLY TRYING.

THIS MAY COME AS A SURPRISE TO THE HANDFUL OF VIEWERS WHO KNOW I AM HARMLESS, BLAMELESS, UPRIGHT AND WITHOUT SIN, MUCH LIKE THE BIBLICAL JOB.

A NEWBIE NOBODY WOULD KNOW FROM ADAM 🤣  POSTS A PLEA FOR HELP MERE SECONDS AFTER JOINING.  TO SUCH A ONE, WHO IS ANXIOUS AND BARELY ABLE TO CONTAIN HERSELF, ALL MEMBERS ARE PART AND PARCEL OF THE NEFARIOUS CABAL WHETHER A FULL MOON IS SHINING OR NOT.  WHO CAN BLAME THEM?  @Sandon @Greenstang AND OTHERS ARE UNFAIRLY LUMPED IN WITH INANIMATE JOKESTERS LIKE RICKY 🐓   WHO DOESN'T EVEN EXIST!!!

WHAT A MESS!

THE WORST IS YET TO COME!  THE CARD-CARRYING MRMBERS SOME OF WHOM HAVE BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGHT TO PURPORTEDLY ATTEND  U.S. GRANT'S INAUGURATION (CHECK PERIOD BRADY PHOTOS!) STATE THE SOBER FACTS, AS WAS DONE HERE, UPTHREAD.   EXAMPLE: YOUR DIME WAS  "ONE OF THE OVER 424 MILLION [NO-S '68 DIMES] STRUCK FOR CIRCULATION AT THE PHILADEPHIA MINT WITHOUT A MINTMARK."  A HUGE LET-DOWN BUT NOTHING COMPARED TO THE NEWBIE WHO, USING INFO SHE FOUND ON 'TRUTHFINDER', OR SIME SUCH SITE, SECRETES HERSELF BEHIND A BUSH ON MY BLOCK, AND WHEN I INEVITABLY SHOW MY FACE, WAITS UNTIL I PASS, THEN THROWS A BOTTLE AT ME FULL FORCE STRIKING THE BACK OF MY HEAD BEFORE SHATTERING INTO A DOZEN PIECES -- MISSING MY CLUELESS WIFE BY INCHES THOUGH SHE GOT SOAKED WITH Coca-Cola, THE REAL THING.™️ 

MY DASTARDLY CRIME? IN A PREVIOUS TOPIC TOTALLY UNBEKNOWNST TO ME MY ASSAILANT LIVING IN NYC, YELLED OUT "HERE'S WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR DOLLAR!"

SAY WHAT?  APPARENTLY MEMBERS TRYING TO BE HELPFUL VOLUNTEERED TO TELL THE TRUTH THAT HER DEFICIENT, SOMEWHAT DEFORMED, ONCE-NEW DIME WAS WORTH ALL OF TEN CENTS.  MY CRIME WAS OFFERING HER A DOLLAR FOR IT.  SHE IMMEDIATELY SUSPECTED THE WORSE;  THE DAMAGED DIME CLEARLY WAS AN ERROR :whatthe:  AND THE FACT I WAS APPARENTLY TRYING TO ACQUIRE HER MULTI-MILLION TREASURE FOR A MEASLY DOLLAR WAS PROOF OF MY MALICIOUS INTENT.

I TELL YOU, MY DEAR FRIENDS AND VETERANS OF EVERY STRIPE, THE ONCE INNOCENT PASTIME OF COIN COLLECTING HAS BECOME DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS!

BUT THAT'S NOT THE END OF IT!  AT THE E.R. I WAS TOLD UNSYMPATHETICALLY, "YOU KNOW THIS IS ONLY GET WORSE!  THEY KNEW MY WIFE, ALL OF NINETY POUNDS, COULD NOT POSSIBLY BE THE CULPRIT. SHE, LIKE ME, SAW NOTHING. SHE, LIKE ME, HEARD THE BOTTLE SHATTER; I FELT SOMETHING WARM RUNNING DOWN MY NECK. WHAT RESPONDING POLICE OFFICER IS GOING TO BELIEVE THE TRUTH?  "NO, I HAVE NO IDEA WHO IT WAS [WITH A DARN GOOD AIM] AND NO, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS ABOUT!.  SHEESH!

IF SHE'D'VE TAKEN THE DOLLAR, SHE COULD'VE INCREASED HER NET WORTH TEN TIMES OVER.  THAT'S THE PART THAT KILLS ME!

TRUE STORY!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Multiple corrections.

On 10/19/2024 at 2:37 AM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Ditch the high mag!
If this were an actual proof, you would not need mag to see if it had no S on it.

Thank you guys for the info please if you have nothing helpful to add to my post please keep to yourself and for those who took the time to help a newbie out thank you I'm reading more about coin collecting lots of info to process just takes time to learn the hobby 💯👍

On 10/19/2024 at 11:56 PM, RAM1012 said:

Thank you guys for the info please if you have nothing helpful to add to my post please keep to yourself and for those who took the time to help a newbie out thank you I'm reading more about coin collecting lots of info to process just takes time to learn the hobby 💯👍

Everyone is trying to help you by giving you information, and saying that your magnification is a hinder is a true statement. If you do not know exactly what you are looking for it will make things harder. 

Edited by J P M

On 10/19/2024 at 10:56 PM, RAM1012 said:

if you have nothing helpful to add to my post please keep to yourself

Oh boy, more of this mishegas again? In MANY numismatic matters “helpful” equals “dismissive”.

Trust me I'm trying to learn what exactly to look for I have gone to reading the books because so many people put false things about coins on the internet I have also joined this club in search for help with ANY of my questions which I believe is what lead me to sign up with this great site in New to coin collecting and try and learn by doing my research with books about my hobby but sometimes I come across a really great coin that can be worth something and can't figure it out in my own so I turn here for help I am serious about my hobby and things people say so with that said it's the microscope I have I didn't ask anyone to say something about it that's why I said what I said sorry he might have a better one at least I have one and it's all I could afford to get started with💯👍🤪

17295387736215431641708458788086.jpg

Please start a new post for each coin. It gets confusing with more than one coin per thread.

Also always show both sides of the coin when posting. This can help with any diagnoses.

Of the four books you purchased, two of them--the 2025 "Red Book" and the A.N.A. Grading Guide--are excellent choices used by both new and advanced collectors. I'm not familiar with the Whitman Guide to Coin Collecting, but I assume that it is also a reliable source based upon the reputations of its author and publisher. As @VKurtB indicated regarding the fourth book, it is untrue to state that one can "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change", except in the sense that one can become a billionaire by buying a Powerball or Mega Millions ticket each week! In the over 53 years that I have collected coins, I have never found any coin worth more than a few dollars in pocket change or accumulations of circulating coins and only know one collector who ever has--a struck cent overstruck by nickel dies--the exception that proves the rule.  

Mint errors and die varieties are advanced topics in numismatics. If you focus for now on learning the basics about U.S. coins and collecting them, you will be able to understand them better should you later decide actively to collect them. I recommend that you carefully read the "Welcome to Numismatics" section (pp.8-27 of your "Red Book"), as well as the portions about types of coins and topics of particular interest to you and that you peruse (skim) the remainder of the book, as well as using it as your basic reference. (It is notable that this basic, yet comprehensive, 472-page book only contains four pages (pp. 446-49) about "Misstrikes and Errors".) Similarly, I recommend that you read the introductory chapters (pp.7-44) of the A.N.A. Grading Guide, as well as studying the images and descriptions of grades of coin types that particularly interest you. 

Before posting this topic, did you consult the "Red Book"? Information on pp. 21, 159, and 366-67 should have been helpful and led you to the conclusion that you do not have a 1968-S "No S" proof dime.

Before you post a topic about coins on which you see "doubling", please read the following articles: Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC and https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein.

Please get rid of the strike it rich book! There, I'm another one to say that just to drive that point home.

The only reason you may feel "jumped" by your use of a scope is because most of us (unless our eyes are totally shot) do not use one. I use a 10X magnifier that I picked up from Hobby Lobby for $12. The little light broke on it so I use that along with a pen light. Sometimes I use a 7X loupe that I also have. It depends on exactly what feature of a coin I want to see which dictates which of the two I use. We only advise against the use of a scope because it inherently makes the surface look different. A scope can make a tiny nick look like the Grand Canyon and a small die chip look like a mountain. Also we know that professional graders grade our coins using 7X. While a scope may have a use in trying to attribute a particular variety, it would only be for an obscure variety and one generally not recognized by the TPG's. If you can't determine a variety from 7X (or 10X-15X max), it really is not worth looking for it on a coin if it is not recognized by the mass of the coin community. Many people have posted here using their scope and we can see they have gone down the rabbit hole of seeing things with the scope that are just not significant.

I just wanted to explain to you why this is something that was touched on in some of your responses. You can do as you wish, but don't be surprised if many members here advise against its use.

I am happy to see your selection of books (except the one) and your reasons for buying and using them. Believe me, that puts you ahead by far of many who come here who continue to just rely on internet sources that are simply not accurate. Keep learning and you will get far with those books! (thumbsu

@RAM1012 Welcome.  I love that you are buying books.  I have read a LOT of books in a short amount of time.  As others have said, the "Strike it Rich..." type books do collectors a disservice.  They were written to sell books to new collectors who are trying to "get rich" collecting coins.  This is a fantasy.  If you want to make a small fortune in coins, you generally need to start with a large one.    Collectors DO make money (sometimes), but this is more about a collector working hard to find the best examples, or cherry picking unattributed varieties (especially in coins that are collected by variety - i.e. large cents, half cents, capped bust half dollars, etc.).

I do look through my change, and I used to do a LOT of coin roll hunting.  There are many others here that do the same.  If you look at enough coins, you will find some interesting things.  However, even the most committed CRH will tell you that their finds are more "fun" than "valuable" (if they are telling the truth).

Not trying to discourage you.  This is a great hobby, and you are starting with books.  You are ahead of many who turn to YouTube and get bad information.  I wish you all the luck, and feel free to post general questions, or questions about a series.  We have some very numismatically smart people on these boards.  Again, welcome and good luck.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist