• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Auction House for rare NGC graded coins.
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I have a low population NGC 1965 Jefferson MS66 5 Full Steps I want to put up for auction. There are only 6 ‘65 Jefferson Full Steps  in all grades at NGC and PCGS combined. IMG_0896.thumb.jpeg.dd1b08884369e8ca1065949f42f546f7.jpegStacks Bowers offered no seller’s fees to consign it. The consignment rep suggested I do a no reserve auction. Anyone have any experience in NGC graded consignments of US coins with SB? Thanks in advance 

On 10/18/2024 at 12:50 PM, RonnieW said:

I have a low population NGC 1965 Jefferson MS66 5 Full Steps I want to put up for auction. There are only 6 ‘65 Jefferson Full Steps  in all grades at NGC and PCGS combined. IMG_0896.thumb.jpeg.dd1b08884369e8ca1065949f42f546f7.jpegStacks Bowers offered no seller’s fees to consign it. The consignment rep suggested I do a no reserve auction. Anyone have any experience in NGC graded consignments of US coins with SB? Thanks in advance 

The reserve auction makes sense to me. It protects you if no modern fans are watching a particular auction. The appeal of material like this is an inch thick. 

Edited by VKurtB

Yeah, that’s my feeling as well on a reserve. . Although the rep told me from his experience that the coin would receive no to minimal bidding on the coin and he didn’t think it would sell with a reserve. Even though it’s a very rare  Jefferson in  full steps . 

Edited by RonnieW

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

This is a fine topic for either the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum or the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, but please note for future topics that the "Coin Marketplace" forum is supposed to be for actual, legitimate offers to buy, sell, or trade coins, including links to those that are currently being offered for sale on other sites.

I have bought a number of coins from Stacks Bowers auctions and think that most of their prices realized are high, with occasional exceptions, but that is a buyer's perspective. I know collectors who have consigned to either Stacks Bowers or Heritage were somewhat disappointed with what their coins realized, that being a seller's perspective. Stacks Bowers and other major auction houses have extensive "auction archives" that you could search for recent sales of other 1965 or similar FS Jefferson nickels. You may be able to filter the results on at least some of these sites by grading service.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I do not have any experience with Stacks per se, but I do have extensive experience with auctions as most of the raw coins I purchase online I win by auction. And I have also sold many of my coins by auction on eBay (although not recently). Imho, any auction comes with a risk for the seller. If the right people are not present and by right people, I mean ones that NEED that coin to fill a hole in a registry slot, auction results can be disappointing as a seller. Just because that is maybe a fact of the population, you can "advertise" the coin as such in an attempt to drive up the price, but when the auction takes place, if nobody is interested in this particular piece, or is looking to just get it "for a bargain", the gavel result may be very disappointing to you. If you don't mind the risk and are ok if the coin sells for below what you think you should get for it, then auction it outright. If you need to get a specific price or are uncomfortable "taking a loss" selling it, you should either do a reserve auction, or skip the auction all together and sell it for a buy it now price on a different platform.

"Rarity" is not the only reason few have been authenticated and graded. The overhang from SMS sets and roll buyers might make the coin too common to sell. Did you buy it in the slab or have it graded yourself?

On 10/21/2024 at 8:21 PM, J P M said:

Nice coin, there are not many of these around. I would love to have a coin like this if I could snipe it the last 30 seconds at an auction for $50

At only $50, you might end up going head to head with me for it, and if people knew my full username in auctions where I have a bid out would know if I really want something, nobody else is getting it. xD

On 10/18/2024 at 1:50 PM, RonnieW said:

Stacks Bowers offered no seller’s fees to consign it. The consignment rep suggested I do a no reserve auction. Anyone have any experience in NGC graded consignments of US coins with SB? Thanks in advance 

If I may,

One must remember that an auction house, like all business, is in business first and foremost to make money.  The only way they make money is for the lot to sell, the only way to be sure to make money is for the lot to have no reserve. The house looks to make 20 to 40 per cent of the hammer price and must work harder to make sure a coin meets a minimum than on a no reserve lot. It is better for them to have all no reserve lots in any auction.

On 10/21/2024 at 9:21 PM, J P M said:

I could snipe it the last 30 seconds at an auction for $50 

you shouldn't have told us your final price... now i will just go 55 and steal her hahahahhahaha

On 10/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, “” said:

I personally would send it to Ian at Great Collections. Lowest fees of any auction house.

I went with Stack’s. They offered me full hammer price. So no sellers fees. 

Edited by RonnieW

On 10/23/2024 at 12:59 PM, RonnieW said:

Yeah, you actually just might get your chance to snipe that baby. I just FedExed to Stack’s Bowers for their spring auction. No reserve. Good luck. 😊

Not if their premiums are too high like H.A. They have a $30 fee before you even bid. 

On 10/18/2024 at 4:13 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

This is a fine topic for either the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum or the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, but please note for future topics that the "Coin Marketplace" forum is supposed to be for actual, legitimate offers to buy, sell, or trade coins, including links to those that are currently being offered for sale on other sites.

I have bought a number of coins from Stacks Bowers auctions and think that most of their prices realized are high, with occasional exceptions, but that is a buyer's perspective. I know collectors who have consigned to either Stacks Bowers or Heritage were somewhat disappointed with what their coins realized, that being a seller's perspective. Stacks Bowers and other major auction houses have extensive "auction archives" that you could search for recent sales of other 1965 or similar FS Jefferson nickels. You may be able to filter the results on at least some of these sites by grading service.

Yeah, one of the main reasons I bought the coin with the intention to put in on a major auction house is because as far as I could tell by looking through multiple archives, there has never been a 1965 5C MS Full Stepper auctioned in any grade before. At least I couldn’t find one. I’ve been looking for years. That is a crazy hard date in full steps. Extremely rare. 

On 10/23/2024 at 1:14 PM, RonnieW said:

Yeah, one of the main reasons I bought the coin with the intention to put in on a major auction house is because as far as I could tell by looking through multiple archives, there has never been a 1965 5C MS Full Stepper auctioned in any grade before. At least I couldn’t find one. I’ve been looking for years. That is a crazy hard date in full steps. Extremely rare. 

Yes I collect nickels, and I do not have any slabbed 60-70 BS FS coins

Well, I’m assuming whoever purchases the coin is going to be wanting it for its rarity or to add a near impossible to a registry set. I don’t think they are going to be worried about $30.00 fees. The buyers’ fees will definitely affect the final price. 

If you could, return to this thread and give a heads up right before it goes up for auction. I would at a minimum at least like to keep a watch on it. I may even bid on it if I decide to. Could you do that please?

I definitely will do that. 👍

On 10/23/2024 at 9:31 PM, powermad5000 said:

If you could, return to this thread and give a heads up right before it goes up for auction. I would at a minimum at least like to keep a watch on it. I may even bid on it if I decide to. Could you do that please?

On 10/23/2024 at 11:48 AM, “” said:

I personally would send it to Ian at Great Collections. Lowest fees of any auction house.

All members are free to draw their own conclusions, but PCGS plugs Great Collections.

I personally like Northeast Numismatics but they will ask you first, "How much are you looking for?," or, "What is your ballpark figure?," I knew I was dead.

Coning in, if you are not comfortable with a 70% off ceiling, you may as well take or send your wares to Rick's Pawnshop.

One of the most important things I learned at @Just Bob 's knee is the undefinable relationship between supply and demand.  The truth is, yesterday some gold coins were considered way out of reach. In just a short period of time, the picture brightened completely.