• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Susan b anthony
1 1

5 posts in this topic

looks like you made 75 cents!  that is good in this economy :) these are only worth face value of a dollar. sorry

Hello and welcome to the forum!

What you have is a 1979 D Susan B Anthony dollar with a broken post mintmark (extremely common defect), with a mintage of 288,015,744. The one you have is likely lower end MS, probably only MS 61 or 62 but it is also stained in a couple spots on the obverse. In this condition, its value is basically a hair above face value, maybe $1.25 if you can find someone that will give that to you for it. A dealer will not and would only give you face value for it.

If by register it, that you mean to have it professionally graded, I have just basically done that for you. If you were to follow through on having that actually done, you would spend roughly $60-$125 to have a coin valued at $1.25 put into a piece of plastic. So, the answer is no to having this coin professionally graded. It is worthy however of being put into an album for the Susan B Anthony series.

As for the stains, I do not recommend that you make any attempt to remove them as you will surely ruin the surface and still not remove the stain. On these copper-nickel clad dollars, stains like the ones on your dollar have already permanently altered the surface. The surface is still considered original as long as you do not try to remove them. In more laymen's terms, I am saying DO NOT clean your coins!