• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943-S Wheat weight 3.07
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.    

Just because a coin is slightly overweight is not indicative of its being anything special. According to my Coin World Almanac, the standard weight for 1943 zinc coated steel cents was either 2.689 or 2.754 grams depending on when the planchets were produced, with a tolerance of plus or minus 0.13 gram, so your coin could have weighed as much as 2.884 grams and been within tolerance. Assuming that your scale is accurate, the most likely explanation is that the planchet stock from which this coin's planchet was punched was slightly thicker than normal. Remember that these coins were wartime, emergency issues made from cheap materials, so there was no particular concern that they conform exactly to standards. 

Do you have any documentation supporting that there were "experimental planchets" for 1943 steel cents that weighed around 3.07 grams?  If such planchets were made at the Philadelphia mint, how did they get to San Francisco?

On 10/16/2024 at 1:49 PM, JoeyJoeJo said:

I think I have an 1943-S Wheat penny that was struck on a 1943 (non S)  experimental planchet.

I'm having a tough time following your line of thought.   Are you saying that an experimental planchet from the Philadelphia mint was shipped to SF?  Or that a SF die was used on an experimental planchet at the Philadelphia mint?  

I too would be interested in seeing your research too prove that there was an experimental planchet at any mint location at the time this coin was struck.

The more likely scenarios are that your scale is not properly calibrated, and/or the coin has been plated or painted.   Either of these explanations is far more plausible than your claim.

But if you have the extraordinary evidence to prove your extraordinary claim I'm all ears.

This information came from PCGS coinfacts.

1943 experimental planchet,

91.7% copper,  7.5% zinc,  0.8 silver

Mented in Philadelphia 

Weight 3.08.

Standard 1943 peny weight....2.7

On 10/16/2024 at 5:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

I'm having a tough time following your line of thought.   Are you saying that an experimental planchet from the Philadelphia mint was shipped to SF?  Or that a SF die was used on an experimental planchet at the Philadelphia mint?  

I too would be interested in seeing your research too prove that there was an experimental planchet at any mint location at the time this coin was struck.

The more likely scenarios are that your scale is not properly calibrated, and/or the coin has been plated or painted.   Either of these explanations is far more plausible than your claim.

But if you have the extraordinary evidence to prove your extraordinary claim I'm all ears.

all information can be found (PCGS) coinfacts within the app. Im a not sure if you have to have a membership to use the (PCGS) coin fact or not being i am a member.

The information from  PCGS has been shown now can someone who is knowledgeable about this please help because it truly seems that this is a 1943-S (experimental planchet) wheat penny as the experimental 1943 planchet is not suppose to have an (S) from Sanfran on it.

On 10/16/2024 at 6:37 PM, JoeyJoeJo said:

91.7% copper,  7.5% zinc,  0.8 silver

On 10/16/2024 at 7:02 PM, JoeyJoeJo said:

yes it sticks to a magnet

A coin composed of these metals would not stick to a magnet. A coin composed largely of steel does. Try holding a magnet to a silver, copper, or zinc coin!

PCGS Coinfacts has no images of such a coin, which is described without explanation as an "experimental shell case" alloy, presumably for post-1943 coinage, but a 91.7% copper cent would likely look much like a 95% copper cent, not just like a normal zinc coated steel cent. At least part of the reason the coinage of the steel pieces didn't continue for the duration of the war was their unsatisfactory appearance--too much like dimes when new, ugly once circulated. PCGS does not list this or any other "experimental" alloy for the 1943-S.

The most likely explanations for the coin being slightly overweight, such as those we have given here, are also most likely the correct ones. Rare things are indeed rare, and it is not rational to jump to the most unlikely conclusion based on scant evidence.

If you remain convinced based upon a weight deviation of a small fraction of a gram that you have a rare and valuable coin, then by all means submit it to PCGS or another reputable third-party grading service of your choice. Please let us know how your submission turns out.

On 10/16/2024 at 7:02 PM, JoeyJoeJo said:

Yes, it does look steel,  yes it sticks to a magnet and yes scale is calibrated.

Your coin looks to be just an overweight steel cent.  1943-S 1C (Regular Strike) Lincoln Cent (Wheat Reverse) - PCGS CoinFacts

Edited by J P M

On 10/16/2024 at 3:39 PM, JoeyJoeJo said:

all information can be found (PCGS) coinfacts within the app. Im a not sure if you have to have a membership to use the (PCGS) coin fact or not being i am a member.

Great, however now that you have told us more and we now know the coin sticks to a magnet that totally proves the coin you have cannot be an experimental planchet. 

That only leaves the two possibilities that I outlined above.  If you are convinced your scale is accurate, then the only possibility is a normal steel cent that has been plated or painted.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Being you have a cheap pocket scale from China, I cannot accept the weight you have given here for this cent. These scales even after saying PASS after calibration can be wildly inaccurate. Please place a nickel on the scale and send us a picture of the nickel on the scale also showing the given weight please.

On 10/16/2024 at 5:58 PM, JoeyJoeJo said:

The information from  PCGS has been shown now can someone who is knowledgeable about this please help because it truly seems that this is a 1943-S (experimental planchet) wheat penny as the experimental 1943 planchet is not suppose to have an (S) from Sanfran on it.

I just don’t know how to adequately deal with this much lack of logic or knowledge. My mind stands boggled.