• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error
1 1

5 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2024 at 4:15 AM, Eric Schrader said:

Was curious if another member has seen any coins like this. They both look different but top seems more off than the other let me know your opinion 

Thanks Eric

schrader_e@msn.com 20241007_013010.thumb.jpg.9f32cc7a9a269dca6cb077291a8cfa3b.jpg

Screenshot_20241007_211557_Gallery.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

The dime with the, for the lack of a better term, fluted rim is merely damaged. By what or how I'm not sure but whatever happened did not happen at the mint. The '79 (?) looks perfectly normal for a circulated coin.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

What you see on this dime is damage to the proto rim which was most likely done by hand carefully with a metal file. There is nothing around the press that would cause the rim to look like this and no mechanical error could produce this effect. What you are most likely seeing is someone doing this with a file to this dime in order to trick someone into thinking this coin is a mint error and inflating its value as such when it is simply intentional damage and is forever to now only be worth face value. The other damage near the date was also likely done with the tip of a drill bit that the operator lost control of creating more damage in the area.

I invite you to read the following article by renown numismatist Jeff Garrett involving misinformation in numismatics and coins such as this.

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics

Edited by powermad5000

On 10/11/2024 at 12:24 AM, powermad5000 said:

What you see on this dime is damage to the proto rim which was most likely done by hand carefully with a metal file.

The proto rim would no longer be visible as long as the coin was aligned properly to the dies and struck in collar, which appears to be the case. I though hand file as well, possibly why there is a flat on one side of the coin, if it was clamped in a vise, but you would think that there would be two flats. If some one did that with a hand file they did a damn fine job and did it in a single pass. 

On 10/11/2024 at 7:03 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The proto rim would no longer be visible as long as the coin was aligned properly to the dies and struck in collar, which appears to be the case. I though hand file as well, possibly why there is a flat on one side of the coin, if it was clamped in a vise, but you would think that there would be two flats. If some one did that with a hand file they did a damn fine job and did it in a single pass. 

It looks more like a fingernail file or emery board fingernail shaper. it could be done by hand easily without marking the devices up.