• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can NCS Remove Lacquer From Zinc Coins?

5 posts in this topic

I have a zinc coin covered in lacquer. Due to the reaction between acetone and zinc, the standard way of removing the lacquer isn't acceptable. Does NCS have a way to remove lacquer from zinc coins that will not negatively affect the coin surfaces? 

• Administrator

Hello @gmarguli, Thank you for contacting us. Hope you are doing well! NCS can remove many substances applied to the surfaces of coins to change their appearance, such as putty or lacquer. Removal may reveal other surface problems, and the coin may still receive an NGC Details grade after conservation.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

On 10/5/2024 at 7:35 PM, gmarguli said:

I have a zinc coin covered in lacquer.

I am curious as to what this coin is and I can only come up with a copper-plated zinc Lincoln cent. Am I correct?

If this is the case, why would you want to conserve a coin with its mintage number typically over 1 billion and where there are many pristine examples available for very little premium? I am simply curious that's all.

Also, I would fear in your case that the lacquer has penetrated past the thin plating and permanently altered the surface.

Edited by powermad5000

On 10/8/2024 at 1:38 AM, powermad5000 said:

I am curious as to what this coin is and I can only come up with a copper-plated zinc Lincoln cent. Am I correct?

If this is the case, why would you want to conserve a coin with its mintage number typically over 1 billion and where there are many pristine examples available for very little premium? I am simply curious that's all.

Also, I would fear in your case that the lacquer has penetrated past the thin plating and permanently altered the surface.

I guarantee you it isn't a Lincoln cent that he is asking about. Greg collects some of the most interesting and unusual coins imaginable.

I am going to just throw out a guess, and say it might be a WW2 era German piece, but that is just me taking a stab in the dark.

On 10/8/2024 at 5:42 PM, Just Bob said:

I am going to just throw out a guess, and say it might be a WW2 era German piece, but that is just me taking a stab in the dark.

That's a pretty good stab. That's exactly what it is. 

Hard to tell under the lacquer, but it appears to be a nice unc that is slightly oxidized and then lacquered. Just need to get the lacquer off without dissolving the coin in acetone.