• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused info
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I am wanting to get interested in coin collection, but I am a little confused by some of the info that I have heard. So, could someone please verify for me this about the 1982D small print weighing 3.11grams !!!

This coin is the only one in the 1982 stamping that is the “Rare” coin, even though there were coins stamped inSan Fransisco and other mints that also weighed 3.11grams

Thanks for reading

Hello and welcome to the hobby!

As someone coming into the hobby, you should be looking to obtain books and learn about the different coins that were produced and how to figure out what condition they are in, and how that condition relates to the coin's place in the hobby overall.

Book number 1 - A Guide Book of United States Coins, 2025 (Also known as the Red Book). This book will teach you coin facts and the denominations produced along with other relevant information about the coins.

Book number 2 - ANA Grading Standard for United States Coins, 7th Edition. This book will teach you the different grades coins are found in.

It is my advice to stay away from this searching for this cent that probably hundreds of thousands of people are looking for and not finding. Only two have been found to date, one in 2016 and one in 2019. None since. While it is possible for there to be a third, purposely searching for this "unicorn" cent will only lead you to a very disappointing start in the hobby. As there are many threads about it here and I have many times talked about the odds of finding a third of these (your odds of getting struck by lightning before finding one of these is that you will be struck 393,000 times before you find the third cent), I would be better saying that you do not need to look for this cent. If it wants to it will find you!

Get on with collecting coins that you actually can collect, and not ones that are considered impossible to collect.

On 10/3/2024 at 11:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome to the hobby!

As someone coming into the hobby, you should be looking to obtain books and learn about the different coins that were produced and how to figure out what condition they are in, and how that condition relates to the coin's place in the hobby overall.

Book number 1 - A Guide Book of United States Coins, 2025 (Also known as the Red Book). This book will teach you coin facts and the denominations produced along with other relevant information about the coins.

Book number 2 - ANA Grading Standard for United States Coins, 7th Edition. This book will teach you the different grades coins are found in.

It is my advice to stay away from this searching for this cent that probably hundreds of thousands of people are looking for and not finding. Only two have been found to date, one in 2016 and one in 2019. None since. While it is possible for there to be a third, purposely searching for this "unicorn" cent will only lead you to a very disappointing start in the hobby. As there are many threads about it here and I have many times talked about the odds of finding a third of these (your odds of getting struck by lightning before finding one of these is that you will be struck 393,000 times before you find the third cent), I would be better saying that you do not need to look for this cent. If it wants to it will find you!

Get on with collecting coins that you actually can collect, and not ones that are considered impossible to collect.

Excellently put.

Unfortunately, there is a great deal of misinformation about coins on the internet, including hype about extreme rarities such as the 1982-D small date (not "print") copper cent, of which only two are known to exist and of which you would probably have as much chance of finding another as winning a billion-dollar lottery prize. All other varieties of 1982 and 1982-D cents, whether large or small date, "copper" (actually 95% copper, 5% zinc, with an approximate weight of 3.11 grams), or copper plated zinc (approximate weight of 2.5 grams) are extremely common and if found in circulation only worth their face value of one cent each. The 1982-S cents struck (not "stamped") in San Francisco are all proof strikes issued only in 1982 proof sets, are all large dates and "copper", and are also inexpensive.

If you want to learn about U.S. coins, please see the following forum topics to locate reliable print and online resources, including the Red Book and the ANA Grading Guide referred to in @powermad5000's reply:

On 10/4/2024 at 12:10 AM, VKurtB said:

Excellently put.

"...solid non-plated bronze..." Yes, indeed.  "rat hole."  I suspect many fruitless searches may have left a bad taste in some peoples' mouths and pushed them to abandon the pursuit and hobby altogether. 

On 10/4/2024 at 12:23 AM, Sandon said:

you would probably have as much chance of finding another as winning a billion-dollar lottery prize.  

Consider...

The odds of Winning the Powerball Lottery is 292.2 million to 1

There were over 17 Billion cents minted in 1982.

The odds of finding any significant error in circulation after 42 years is vanishingly small. Collect coins for the enjoyment. Any other reason leads to insanity. I mean look at this crew...

On 10/4/2024 at 8:44 AM, J P M said:

Insanity sounds about right if you think about it.

We’re coin people. We’re all nuts. Some just a little more so.

Edited by VKurtB