• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971D Kennedy 50cents

10 posts in this topic

Thank you no drill marks and did you read what I wrote I thought the same I drilled one out it's not even close to those coin look close see inside the hole you will see raised metal the eagles tail the drill left rough interior all the cladding was removed or flat like I said explain that sir

In whatever manner the hole was created (punched, drilled, etc.), it clearly didn't occur at the mint. The coin was likely holed for use on a keychain or as a pendant or other jewelry. It is somewhat similar to the hole in a much older coin in my collection discussed in the following topic:

This was drilled. The metal is piled up around the circumference of the hole which indicates to me that the drill bit used was not very sharp and also I denote that the hole itself is not completely round so whoever did the drilling also angled the drill bit some. A non sharp drill bit will actually "tear" at the metal to make the hole instead of making that long curly cue that a sharp drill bit does.

It is NOT possible for the die to impart details of the coin on the vertical surface inside of a hole even if the planchet was holed before being struck which we know this also was not the case as the piled up metal around the hole would not be there and would have been flattened by the pressure of the strike.

I am sorry, but I am explaining it and what you have is pareidolia that you think you are seeing the eagles tail and other details on the vertical surface inside the hole.

Begging the indulgence of the OP and my learned colleagues...

I should like to go on record as stating I have serious doubts as to the present value of this holed clad half.

If it were a silver half, all would not be lost.  It's silver melt value would be its saving grace.  Owing to its clad nature, however, I am afraid it would not be accepted in day-to-day commerce and hence may very well not be worth 50 cents. And if it is not worth face value, it arguably has no value at all.  :sumo:

On 10/3/2024 at 8:05 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

but I don't specialize in damaged coins.

None of us do. Only newbies ever do.