• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1900 O Morgan - Grade it or Don't
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Oh wise ones, I seek your advise once again.

I was on a live bid site (not ebay) and won 2 separate bids for 2 1900 O Morgans

The description of the Auction and reciept read O/CC 1900 Morgan Dollar.

I am including pictures of both coins for review. 

Wether I got dupped or not, is it worth getting these graded?

Morgan 1 Obverse.jpg

Morgan 1 Reverse.jpg

Morgan 2 Reverse.jpg

Morgan 2 Obverse.jpg

Morgan 1 O Upclose.jpg

Morgan 2 O Upclose.jpg

Not worth getting graded in that condition. Grading costs would exceed the value.   
There were over 12 1/2 million produced so they are not hard to find in higher grades.

From your images I'm not sure whether either of the coins is a 1900-O over CC (certainly not as common as a regular 1900-O), but each one has only Fine or so details, one with rim and surface damage that would likely result in a "Details" grade. I would net that one down to Good or Very Good, which would result in a retail value of $60 or so if it is a 1900-O over CC. A regular 1900-O is only worth $35 or so in Fine, a 1900-O over CC around $100. None of these would be worth the expense of submitting to a third-party grading service, which is what I assume you mean by "getting these grading." Before you consider submitting coins to grading services, it is essential that you learn to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself well enough that you are relatively certain that they have values of at least several hundred dollars each.

If you can't provide clearer images of the mintmarks on these coins, compare them with the images on NGC VarietyPlus, which shows a "generic" 1900-O over CC and a number of its specific varieties, at Morgan Dollars (1878-1921) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). As I recall, there were twelve different leftover "CC" dies that were over-mintmarked.  

I actually would say not only to not send these in for professional grading, but also to divest yourself of these as soon as possible. The first one has rim damage and the second one looks like it was previously cleaned and is retoning. At this grade level and with the impairments, I think it is going to be tough to unload these and even get your same money back. Collectors of these specific OMM's are looking to get these in much higher grades and also problem free. Whoever you bought them from was probably happy that someone picked them up and the problem is now somebody else' (aka, your problem).

Just as a quick example, a few months ago before the World's Fair of Money came to Rosemont, I was looking to add one of these pieces to my collection and I passed on one that was AU.

I have a 1900 O/CC very similar to your coins grade I do not see the ends of the C to the right of the O on your coin. There are a couple of different verity's, you will just have to find the markers for your coin to confirm it.

1900 OCC +.jpg

1900 O over CC.jpg Reverse.jpg

S20240920_0001.jpg

Edited by J P M