• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seems like desperation!
1 1

13 posts in this topic

It has been just a few years since the mint sold out American Silver Eagles in record 8 seconds. I distinctly remember because I was one of the lucky 400,000 that was able to get one! Now, it appears that the US Mint is in entirely different circumstances and is forced to produce expensive mass mailings trying to sell ASE, Morgan and Peace dollars for $95 for proof finishes.

IMG_9840.jpeg

To me desperation would suggest Fire Sale prices.  These coins are 3X spot silver. What would a more reasonable price be?  What were these selling for in past years?

On 9/17/2024 at 3:37 PM, J P M said:

I picked up a 2024 ASE fresh out of the tube with no marks to speak of in February for $35. Why would I want to by one from the mint for the discounted price of $91 

Not the same coin.

On 9/17/2024 at 11:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Not the same coin.

Yes I know it's burnished, it is not the same guys, I was just having fun. I think everything is overpriced.

On 9/18/2024 at 5:26 AM, J P M said:

Yes I know it's burnished, it is not the same guys, I was just having fun. I think everything is overpriced.

Yes, they are overpriced compared with the status quo ante. But United States Mint one ounce silver products are STILL a relative bargain compared with nearly every similar product from world mints. The typical price for a one ounce collector coin from the Paris Mint is €115-€119. The euro is about $1.10. We’ve gotten accustomed to numismatic products being SUBSIDIZED by circulation coin seniorage, or worse yet, taxpayers. We’re now being asked, nay, required by LAW to pull our own weight, and some people don’t like getting their subsidy cut.

I think i have gen up on the mint.. their prices have gotten way to high for the products they are offering.  i used to get 2 or 3 sets every year to break them up and put them in my books but i have since given that portion of my collecting up and have started moving in a new direction and leaving anything modern behind. just too much to keep up with.  they look beautiful in the danscos' but as soon as you close the page the value has plummeted to nothing more than face value.   

On 9/18/2024 at 9:09 AM, JT2 said:

I think i have gen up on the mint.. their prices have gotten way to high for the products they are offering.  i used to get 2 or 3 sets every year to break them up and put them in my books but i have since given that portion of my collecting up and have started moving in a new direction and leaving anything modern behind. just too much to keep up with.  they look beautiful in the danscos' but as soon as you close the page the value has plummeted to nothing more than face value.   

Again, check similar products from other countries. Ours are still a relative bargain. For example, price a circulating coin uncirculated set from the British Royal Mint. It seems a uniquely American expectation for cheap coin sets.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/18/2024 at 10:11 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

A perfect example VkurtB

IMG_9890.jpeg

That is a bullion coin, not a numismatic coin. You compare that with bullion ASE's